A bad feeling in the front end?

DNSarnia

This is a hard one for me to diagnose or explain. When I'm accelerating, the bike is as smooth as glass and increases from Zero thru as fast as I want, and feels fine.

The problem is when I let off the accelerator, or cruise at any 'one' speed, it almost feels like I'm down-shifting or even braking.... like a hesitation perceived by me, in the front end.

If I put on the gas again... nice and smooth.

My first guess is a bad bearing, but I haven't got any further into it to see if that is a problem.

Any suggestions - or places to look would be greatly appreciated.

Don A .

Overthehill

Front/rear pad(s) binding...
Warped disc(s)...
Handbrake binding/not releasing...
...just for starters!!!
Good bearings shouldn't make any noise.
Use an automotive stethoscope and get someone to spin the wheel(s) while you listen.
Noise usually means bad or going bad
I would think that you would need to be putting a lot of heat into the bearings for them to go off, ie long distance high speed riding on a regular basis.
Given your location there could be some sort of corrosion especially in the brake piston area causing drag/binding.
Good luck with your search.

Last edited:

spyuggy

If you are doing 53 mph, then it would be the engine, I think all or most DN01s have a chug at this speed. My bike is still doing it.

This is a hard one for me to diagnose or explain. When I'm accelerating, the bike is as smooth as glass and increases from Zero thru as fast as I want, and feels fine.

The problem is when I let off the accelerator, or cruise at any 'one' speed, it almost feels like I'm down-shifting or even braking.... like a hesitation perceived by me, in the front end.

If I put on the gas again... nice and smooth.

My first guess is a bad bearing, but I haven't got any further into it to see if that is a problem.

Any suggestions - or places to look would be greatly appreciated.

Don A .
I would check front tyre these bikes are very front tyre sensitive for out of balance tyre or rim, last jack front of bike up and check headset bearings,as the std headset bearing is shit it really needs to be replaced with the upgraded one.

DNSarnia

Spyuggy, thanks for that, but I was one of the first to report the 85 km/hr 'thump' way back in 2010. That is not what the issue is.

Sentenel 333 said:
I would check front tyre these bikes are very front tyre sensitive for out of balance tyre or rim, last jack front of bike up and check headset bearings,as the std headset bearing is shit it really needs to be replaced with the upgraded one.
This is more like what I am suspecting. Only another month until I wrap up the season here, and I'll leave my bike at the shop for the winter. I'll put this on the work order, along with my annual tune-up, and tire changes. Thank you for you input.

The bike just went over 60,000 km, so I'm expecting some wear and tear to begin showing up. Here's to hoping that this bike becomes known for longevity.