Battery ?

DNSarnia

So, I find myself flabbergasted, and must post yet again. After all the positive posts I've put on here about Shorai batteries, I'm sure you've all heard enough - but you haven't heard this - with ANY lead acid battery - regardless of quality.

I took ill in October 2018, and had some surgery on my spine in the winter 2019. I made a conscious decision not to ride my motorcycle this year - to help relieve my back pains.

So, Yesterday was the first time in almost a year that I had any interest in riding. When I took ill, my wife and a neighbour pushed my bike to the back yard, and threw the cover on it. It remained outside all winter with temperatures below -20C and then all summer with temperatures over +30C. The tank was full, however not treated with winterizing. Absolutely no maintenance was done to the bike for nearly a year. There was no charger or maintainer hooked up - I didn't even 'top-up' the battery (which was left on-board all year) before attempting to start.

You guessed it. I put the key in the ignition - the bike ran through it's electronic checks - the headlight came on, and appeared bright - so I pushed the button. She fired right up. After cranking all of 3 seconds she fired, and idled soundly. I rev'd the engine - a wonderful sound (Keep in mind, this battery was installed new, in spring 2012 about 7-1/2 years ago)

Beat that Lead/acid - battery maintainer people. - yeah...speaking to you in Florida dude! LOL (there is a video posted to Facebook DN-01 page.)

Last edited:

Gizmo

Site Suporter
GOOD to hear. Lithium is BETTER but does require it's own 'special' charger/maintainer. Lead acid is MORE common and easier to get a hold of, as are their charger/maintainers. I just haven't crossed over to your side YET!

dndom

Just watched a you tube video that showed how lithium batteries draw so much charging current a normal alternator massively overheats, particularly at low revs.

Reactions: Rus

tlyons

So, I find myself flabbergasted, and must post yet again. After all the positive posts I've put on here about Shorai batteries, I'm sure you've all heard enough - but you haven't heard this - with ANY lead acid battery - regardless of quality.

I took ill in October 2018, and had some surgery on my spine in the winter 2019. I made a conscious decision not to ride my motorcycle this year - to help relieve my back pains.

So, Yesterday was the first time in almost a year that I had any interest in riding. When I took ill, my wife and a neighbour pushed my bike to the back yard, and threw the cover on it. It remained outside all winter with temperatures below -20C and then all summer with temperatures over +30C. The tank was full, however not treated with winterizing. Absolutely no maintenance was done to the bike for nearly a year. There was no charger or maintainer hooked up - I didn't even 'top-up' the battery (which was left on-board all year) before attempting to start.

You guessed it. I put the key in the ignition - the bike ran through it's electronic checks - the headlight came on, and appeared bright - so I pushed the button. She fired right up. After cranking all of 3 seconds she fired, and idled soundly. I rev'd the engine - a wonderful sound (Keep in mind, this battery was installed new, in spring 2012 about 7-1/2 years ago)

Beat that Lead/acid - battery maintainer people. - yeah...speaking to you in Florida dude! LOL (there is a video posted to Facebook DN-01 page.)
The DN-01 comes with an AGM battery. Regular lead-acid batteries have a self discharge rate (rate at which they discharge just sitting there) of around 10%/month but it can go way up in cold weather, maybe 20-25%. Worse, once they are discharge they can freeze and be wrecked.

AGM batteries OTOH typically can have a 2%/month self discharge and it goes *down* in lower temperature. The surprising part is that there was so little draw from the electronics of the Dino. I let my sit one year over the winter and it was too weak to start in the spring. If I had pulled a fuse it likely would have been fine.

Good luck and congrats on feeling better.