blinking oil light

dkenney

I am on a long trip and have noticed the blinking oil light issue. What I have seen is that if I park the bike at even a slight angle and leave it like that for a few minutes and try to start it up I get the blinking oil light. I am riding with a buddy and we tried checking the oil it was ok. Interestingly right after the oil check I started it up and no blinking light.

I have called Honda customer service USA and they have opened a case file on this issue. I urge everyone who has seen this issue to call Honda customer service so they will elevate the importance of the issue.

The number for US is:

866-784-1870 :confused:

Last edited:

nhodgson

I have had this issue now twice and after 2500 Klm after a service, The issue is not well known by dealers but the fix is easy. Apparently the oil level check is only done if the bike is off the side stand and the engine oil is hot. Run the bike with oil light blinking untill hot then stop and remove the key, leave for 10 minutes the take off the side stand and switch on . The oil light should now go off.

RIDER-59

Check your Owners Service Manual for information about this known issue for the DN-01. (Hopefully you've still got that and the page numbering is the same as mine) Pages 22 and 23 explain the flashing light and page 93 explains what to do if the oil light stays on after you've started the bike. I found that parking the bike on a angled decline, rear to kerb, is a sure way to cause the problem. As a result, I try to park on the most level ground possible.

Knob

Site Suporter
Got today hands on the engine oil level sensor causing the trouble with false oil light alarm. Honda part 35480MEH003 (replaces older 35480MEH000). Used exclusively on DN-01, not on any other Hodna m/c.
The meaning of this sensor is to make extra sure the engine oil level is always high enough, because the DN-01 obviously was positioned to be used by people coming from cars and therefore their mentality and way of thinking may differ from hardcore bikers, who will check engine oil level at least once in a week. For extra extra safety so said.

The sensor is a simple float mechanically closing/opening contact points. I opened the float section to get idea how it is made. Closed points mean "Low Oil Level", open points mean "Oil Level OK".
The float in this 003 version moves very easily, I hadn't yet possibility to compare to the older 000 version. But there may be some sticking problem in older version causing false oil level alarms appear when the float may stick in wrong position. Or the sensor is just too sensitive about tilting the bike.
While contact points are open there is about 1,6k Ohm resistanse to be measured, must be some inner resistor included in this epoxy covered area. So the related control module can check the sensor's wiring is ok. Closed points will ofcourse give 0 Ohm resistance.

If the situation about those false alarms will get too annoying there is possibility to remove wires from the sensor, install a 1,6k...1,7k Ohm resistor between the wires and remember to check the oil level visually/manually often enough. Not very suggested way, but possible.

Some photos about the sensor:

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 08.jpg 07.jpg 06.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg

Last edited: