Buyers guide / common faults?

Freddy

Answering my own question and asking another -

The 45-1 (47) puzzles me - what does the 1 and (47) tell us exactly? Re-reading the DTC section on page 11-21, I see that 45-1 is a code given on the HDS pocket tester, whereas the (47) is the same fault code given in flashes of the "-" using the special connector (paperclip) in the appropriate wires on the red plug when the key is turned on while the + button is depressed (page 11-23): 47 being 4 long flashes and 7 short flashes.

Page 11-22 says: • When there isn't a DTC, the shift indicator goes off and starts blinking as follows. and shows the pattern:
11-22.jpg
Am I correct in assuming that the this should happen with the paperclip in place?

BUT - below that it says:
Shift indicator Check
When the ignition switch is turned ON and engine stop switch to " O " , the shift indicator will stay on for a few seconds
then go off.

The above 2 points seem to be contradictory.

Then below that is says:

If the TCM does not detect any current (problem) but has a problem stored in its memory, the shift indicator will not light and
blink
. If it is necessary to retrieve the past problem, readout the freeze DTC by following the DTC readout procedure
(page 11-23)

Is that done while NOT using the paperclip?

I have a friend who also has a Dino. With the paperclip in place as described and following the procedure for DTC retrieval, both bikes do NOT show the "-"
Does this mean that there are no stored fault codes? I thought the "-" would flash as shown in the middle of 11-22.

The service manual was obviously written by the folks who designed the system and knew what they were doing but us mere mortals can't read what's not written there to clarify my confusion.

Anyone?

Freddy

Me again - continuing Off Topic.

Today, after the "-" flashed when wanting to ride I did the paperclip thing again and got fault codes 45 & 14. I must have cleared them a few days ago but there they were today. Interestingly, there is no fault code 45 shown on page 11-27 in the blinks column - yet a few of us have seen it (I counted the flashes repeatedly to ensure I got them right). Contrary to what's in post 20: The fault code you have mentioned (4 long, 5 short) is (edited) DTC 45-1 - Neutral oil pressure switch circuit malfunction. - it's wrong. There is no code 45 listed!!!

Code 14, on the other hand, is N/D solenoid valve lock and refers the user to page 11-34 of the service manual - which says, as step 1, to check continuity of the oil pressure switch for continuity with a multi meter, which should show 'continuity.' Mine showed 68 ohm resistance, which isn't much, but it's not 'continuity. Page 11-34 then goes on to test the resistance of the N/D solenoid at 20C. I removed the N/D solenoid and checked it as described. It seems to work ok and clicked as required.

I happen to have a new OP switch on hand, which shows about 8 ohm resistance. I will fit it tomorrow and see what happens.

As an aside, the N/D solenoid and Lock-up solenoid look identical but the N/D has a black socket & harness plug, whereas the Lock-up one has a grey socket and harness connector - plus they are different part numbers.

More tomorrow............

Last edited:

Freddy

I put the bike back together, cleared the codes as described and took it for a 50 min ride with 3 stops here & there.

All good so far. 🙏

Freddy

From reply 42 -...there is no fault code 45 shown on page 11-27 in the blinks column - yet a few of us have seen it (I counted the flashes repeatedly to ensure I got them right). Contrary to what's in post 20: The fault code you have mentioned (4 long, 5 short) is (edited) DTC 45-1 - Neutral oil pressure switch circuit malfunction. - it's wrong. There is no code (45) listed!!!

I've been pondering this and now see that the reason there in no code 45 listed is that it's a misprint. It should be (45) after 45-1 not (47), the same as all of the other codes show the (?) as the first number of that line.

This would then mean the fault listed below 45-1 (47), being 46-1 (58) is also a misprint and it should be 46-1 (46).

So my earlier confusion was somewhat justified and it's now all as clear as the proverbial bell. :oops:

Last edited:

BobF

Hi Freddy - That was my initial assumption when I saw that information when mine was showing the code. I guess we can't call for a re-print?

Freddy

Nah, a bit late now I spose. You shoulda done it when you joined the forum ha ha - but you didn't have the problem then.

You obviously made the correct assumption about the misprint. It took me a while to work that out as I was taking the Honda Service Manul as gospel truth.

Unfortunately, genuine service manuals do have misprints occasionally. I've found then in the Kaw 1400GTR & Triumph 1050Tiger books.