chain tensioner issue

josmif

Hi has anybody had an issue with the chain tensioner making noise,,I was reading on another website that it could be a quality control issue with the heat treated material were the spring attaches,is there any specific manufactures number on the effected units thanks
Looking forward to hear as this is a very sensitive issue

spamer80

That's how the confirmed cam chain tensioner problem bike sounds like.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnaCQDTlY6g[/ame]

And that's how sounds mine. Seems it will be the similar soon. Or no?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6ITYkMsDtE[/ame]

spamer80

therustyaxe, so this ticking noise is normal for DN-01? I thought it's a bit loud. And unfortunately I don't know anyone with DN-01 to compare sound.

senior

Cam Chain Tensioner

hi Gents, i confirm the engine in case of a cam chain tensioner failure sound exactly as the video posted by spamer80. After disassembling i found that the spring anchor had been ripped, see the photos attached. To be noted that my dino is manufactured in 2008 and it has only 9.000 km.
13102015032.jpg

13102015033.jpg

13102015034.jpg

13102015035.jpg

DNSarnia

You're not alone

I had exactly the same failure on my cam chain tensioner.
The pictures provided here could have been mine. (they aren't).
After I had my honda dealer fix the problem for me - out of warranty, I contacted Honda directly and complained that this is a defect in materials used in the tensioner - they agreed, and compensated me for all the work done by the dealer to get me back on the road.

Here are my pictures - hope they help.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=35BAA522B9C5B714!23690&authkey=!AG25-l3XORXxZzQ&ithint=folder,

In the pictures, you can see a brand new cam tensioner, along with the failed one. At the ends of both, you can see the discolouration caused by heat treating, but the other end the spring attaches to - is not heat treated. I purchased an extra one at the time (Fall 2011) just in case. This happened at under 10,000 km.... this past weekend, I passed 45,000 km. I guess I can relax now. All's good.

Last edited:

Freddy

Another one. I had the covers off to adjust the rattly valves on the rear head (which were a few thou bigger than spec) and noticed the cam chain on the rear head was loose. I spose I'd better pull the front one now. 18,650km. I dunno how long it's been like that - I just got the bike.

Last edited:

Knob

Site Suporter
Another one. I had the covers off to adjust the rattly valves on the rear head (which were a few thou bigger than spec) and noticed the cam chain on the rear head was loose. I spose I'd better pull the front one now. 18,650km. I dunno how long it's been like that - I just got the bike.
This sort of a failure still seems to be a kind of rare? Or has somebody information about exchange these tensioners done earlier as warranty works?
Can you please make the description a bit more precise, so we perhaps could make some conclusions here:
What area model is the bike (US, EU, JPN, GB etc.)?
What is the production year (the tenth digit in VIN code)?
What is the bike serial number (last 6 digits in VIN code)?

Freddy

Australia.

I fixed it in a flash with a dab of weld from my MIG welder which has hi tensile wire. You can see the heat treatment colouration on the lower spring tab but the upper one ain't got it - hence the spring wears thru.

Last edited:

Knob

Site Suporter
Australia.

I fixed it in a flash with a dab of weld from my MIG welder which has hi tensile wire. You can see the heat treatment colouration on the lower spring tab but the upper one ain't got it - hence the spring wears thru.
So at least some DN's produced in 2008 are affected by poor quality camchain tensioners.
As all DN's should be numbered in line, yours is number 10058. Mine is 13031 and also 2008 (EU version). Will check the cam tensioners a.s.a.p. and report findings. I know for sure there are no tensioners changed on my bike under warranty work.

Anybody had camchain tensioner problems with 2009 bikes?

Freddy

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. I pulled out the other tensioner today and look what I found.

Nothing wrong with it even tho it's not heat treated. O well, I needed the practice I spose. :censored:

Freddy

The 'good' thing with this failure is that at least no harm is done to the engine, and it lets you know when it's in trouble.

DNSarnia

I agree Freddy, but I think if left without action, the camchain will be flapping around causing wear on the internals of the engine - this was a major concern with CX500's back in the day.... Once my camchain was replaced all is good - bike is now over 65,000 km and still running well. (Camchain failure was under 10,000 km)

lumisko

hello guys, my bike have broken chain tensioner issue. do you have vibrations over 110km/H or i have two problems? :)

Last edited:

Mika

Hello, how dangerous is riding with the broken tensioner noise, how difficult is fixing this? Honda dealership estimated 12 hours of labor to repair the cam chain/tensioner, is that true?

Freddy

I wouldn't ride it lots with the noise, but it's unlikely to do any damage from my observations while in there.

There is 1 for each cylinder. You can use a long screwdriver held against each cyl head and your ear to determine which one is rattling. The rear one is much easier to replace, say 3-4 hours. The front one an additional 3 hours as the plastic is already off but its access is more confined. 12 hrs is a bit of a rip off I reckon. The tensioner can be repaired with weld if they know what they're doing - or take it/them both to someone who does.

Same part as in Deauville.

Last edited:

Mika

I wouldn't ride it lots with the noise, but it's unlikely to do any damage from my observations while in there.

There is 1 for each cylinder. You can use a long screwdriver held against each cyl head and your ear to determine which one is rattling. The rear one is much easier to replace, say 3-4 hours. The front one an additional 3 hours as the plastic is already off but its access is more confined. 12 hrs is a bit of a rip off I reckon. The tensioner can be repaired with weld if they know what they're doing - or take it/them both to someone who does.

Same part as in Deauville.

[/URL]
Thank you very much for your reply, it is very useful.