Could Bad Gasoline have cause my problems?

DNSarnia

This morning my bike started normally. I started it, drove about 5-10 minutes to a gas station.

Filled up the top portion of the tank - all it would take was about 6 or 7 Litres.

When I tried to start it again it couldn't hold the idle long enough to put the bike in D-drive. It would start, and rev right up to 4 or 5 thousand rpm... but coughing a lot. When it came back to idle, it would just quit.

I was able to coordinate the rev's and eventually get it into D-mode, and I took off - directly for my Local Honda mechanic (about 15km away).

ON the ride there, I noticed that it had a hard time accelerating. If I backed off just a bit, it would kick it up a bit, and I could accelerat.

I eventually realized that by keeping the revs high (switched it to 'manual' gear change mode), I could get the best performance, which wasn't very good. I actually was able to coax it up to about 150 km/h.... and it sounded/felt fine at that speed. After decelerating, the problem was back.

I made it to the mechanics, and left it with them. The starting/stalling issues continue. I'm confident that there isn't any issue with the engine - or transmission, but something on the fuel / filter / or Electronic fuel injection system.

Anyone else ever experience this?

DNSarnia

DammmDel

there is a common fault with the spark plug caps. this seems to be a trend with all hondas at the moment. check with your dealer they should know.. my dealer fixed mine free of charge. good luck

Norrie

This issue should have been a Honda recall, but instead an extended warranty was put in place. I hope it is still in place.

DammmDel

I agree, I only found out when I went to my local Honda dealer to buy new plugs to try to sort out the problem. That's when the guy told me about it and arranged to have it fixed.
However this problem was also on other Honda's as well.

DNSarnia

Now shows 'Glowing Red Hot' Cross over exhaust chamber

My primary concern was the gas. The symptoms to me indicated it was Missing - then gettin fuel... running well, then bogging down...

My bike has over 30,000 km (20,000 miles) so if it was the plugs - would this have presented earlier than this? Two days earlier we rode about 200km with nary an issue. It performed flawlessly.

Anyway, My mechanic has ruled out water in the fuel. He has emptied the tank, and refilled with good fuel. Symptoms haven't changed...except....

After a test ride by one mechanic, as he returned another mechanic noticed the 'cross-over' exhaust chamber was actually glowing RED HOT. The rider said it performed the same as the previous day... but the chamber wasn't notice at that time.

So, with this new information, are we still thinking the plug caps? or has anybody else got any other possibilities?

DNSarnia

DammmDel

as I said up there check the plug caps. what you've explained tells me that's what it is. Honda changed mine to ngks and I've had no problems since

DNSarnia

So, what's next... Yup, it was the plugs.

Was there some sort of recall or Mechanic's warranty on this job? I know that spark plugs by themselves would not be considered a 'safety recall' but with that exhaust glowing like it was - maybe it should be!

Does anybody have any info - direct from Honda or a Honda dealer that indicates this is covered by them - even after warranty period?

respectfully... and thanks to all contributors.

DNSarnia

DNSarnia

This issue should have been a Honda recall, but instead an extended warranty was put in place. I hope it is still in place.
My mechanic says there wasn't any details about this when he punched up my serial number. In fact, he noted that there weren't ANY notes regarding my bike, though he is the guy that fought for warranty coverage (after mine expired) for the cam chain tensioner.

Let's see if he can't get them to come good on this too.

DammmDel

There was no recall. It was only passed amongst Dealers and only passed to the customer if they had a problem with it.

if you want to check to see if your spark plug caps are faulty.
start the bike in a dark place and look around the spark plugs u will see them arching out.

DNSarnia

This happened to me after filling up at a petro canada gas station. Was it the caps?
Yes, one cap anyway. I'll be purchasing a pair of them for my save a ride kit. It was just so weird that it went all at once and coincidentally just after I filled it up. The symptoms were so similar to a bad-gas situation.

zebra03

It sounds like you got a dose of water which would cause the same symptoms.

Last edited:

DammmDel

it did with me and it was as i left my local fuel garage.. but the change of plug caps did it and honda are aware of the problem but wont recall.. talk to them, I did and got it sorted for free :)