Crash bars for DN-01

DN-01 Fanboy

I've searched obsessively all over the web but have not seen anyone have any type of crash bars. Unless someone else knows something I don't, you'd have to custom fabricate. Looking at the body work, you'd probably need to be willing to cut into the fairing/bodywork to properly fit it to the frame.

eljaymer

I brought my wife's DN-01 to a guy in my area who does custom fabrication. He told me that he couldn't do anything without cutting into the plastic. I had him modify the floorboards so they don't fold up if scraped -- she is a conservative rider and doesn't corner aggressively. The rigid floorboards will give considerable protection if the bike is dropped at very slow speed.

new dn mama

hey eljaymer,i also was considerin that fix but beware,those footrests can flip ya if you do take a corner just a little s harp and they can,t flip up or move at all...

spyuggy

Probable cure

I have been looking at my DN01 very closely and I think it is possible to make a wrap around crash bar.
This can be done with the right technology.
If the bar could be fastened somehow with brackets to the frame downtubes, then wrapped all the way around the front end to the other side and fastened on that side with brackets, if it cleared the front wheel mudguard and the plastics, I am sure it would look ok with tubular chrome, especially if was a double tube, one above the other.
Just a thought, maybe someone could come up with a better idea.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

spyuggy

Possible answer

I think it is possible to attach a bracket just under the dummy tank, then bringing a double down tube, following the contours of the plastics, around the front clearing the wheel, maybe with a join here for easy fitting and the same on the other side.
The join could be made by putting a shoulder onto the tubular steel and with some luck, fastening onto the front of the bike by the radiator. (I haven't looked here yet).
My next post will have pics to give you a better idea of what I mean, as I am going to make up a dummy one with tape.:confused:

spyuggy

I have made a very quick crash bar out of masking tape to give you an idea.
Masking tape is not the final solution, as it is a bit soft.
I hope the pics upload, as they should let you know what I am talking about.
Try and imagine this with tubular steel.

Last edited:

spyuggy

No Pics

Sorry my pics wouldn't upload, but they would have looked like dustbins and this is where I have put the idea.
To protect the front fairing, they would have to come out too far to look good.
I saw some bikes today with fairing sliders, I can't think of anyway to fix them without drilling, or moving the mirrors.
Thanks for reading my posts.
I shall get back to the drawing board.:(

Stove Pipe

I brought my wife's DN-01 to a guy in my area who does custom fabrication. He told me that he couldn't do anything without cutting into the plastic. I had him modify the floorboards so they don't fold up if scraped -- she is a conservative rider and doesn't corner aggressively. The rigid floorboards will give considerable protection if the bike is dropped at very slow speed.
How are the stiff floorboards working out? Cornering, etc.