Crashbar project

Andeo

When my friend took my bike and dropped (open throttle&front brake together) I desided to make custom crashbars.

Google shows no images of same project, but it but I'm not scared :)

Now Im study manual for mainframe logic. Some cuts of plastic arent a problem.

Bike weight is huge, so need to use heavy duty tubes. And scheme need to cover upper fairing, like givi crashbars for gs1200. So when bike down, mirrors stay upper and undamaged.

Ideas on this pics:

next step - analyse of mainframe with creating first crashbar project.

ps. I fixed a broken mirror by myself (epoxy)

pps. its a DEAD forum or not?

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Crash bars

Sounds like an interesting project ... keep us posted as it goes. I have dropped my bike twice (once on each side) and it's HARD to keep up once it starts to go. It's even harder to get it upright when it's down. There's a LOT of plastic that can get damaged too. Thanks for trying to come up with something.

Andeo

main problem is geometry of footrest. they are too wide.
- we can use it moving function to make crashbar small and lightweight (but footrests are simple to damage!)

- or make wide crashbars with footrest covering

we cant make bars lower because footrest contact in low cornering with road is soft by cornering mechanism, and contact with bar will be fatal.

We have about 10 days to projecting, after that all needed materials will came

whitehawk

I would go for the way Honda did it on the ST1300 - small crash bars hidden behind plastic wings. They look a lot neater IMO. They do work - I tested them once when losing balance after stopping on a slope a little too quickly!
They stop the fairing and the mirrors from touching the ground. At the rear the bottom of the panniers did the same job, so minimal damage.
Might be difficult finding a place to fit something similar to the DN though.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
I say keep the crash bars small because the footrests will fold up. I do not believe that is is possible to 'eliminate' ALL damage to bike with just crash bars. The idea is to 'minimize' the damage ... damage WILL occur no matter what you do! (No protective system will prevent TOTAL protection UNLESS (possibly) installing 'airbags' to the sides ???)

Andeo

I would go for the way Honda did it on the ST1300 - small crash bars hidden behind plastic wings. They look a lot neater IMO. They do work - I tested them once when losing balance after stopping on a slope a little too quickly!
They stop the fairing and the mirrors from touching the ground. At the rear the bottom of the panniers did the same job, so minimal damage.
do u have any photos of that bars? my previus bike was honda shadow 750, with huge bars. when it simple fall, it stops at the angle not laying on the side. but in major fall it lay wheels UP and on the windscreen :eek:
I dont want again have such weight problem :)
so the idea is NOT to let the bike fall on the mirrors

Last edited:

Andeo

I say keep the crash bars small because the footrests will fold up. I do not believe that is is possible to 'eliminate' ALL damage to bike with just crash bars. The idea is to 'minimize' the damage ... damage WILL occur no matter what you do! (No protective system will prevent TOTAL protection UNLESS (possibly) installing 'airbags' to the sides ???)
after my friend drop my bike in minor speed, the footrest was deformed in the point of connection to frame :) this IS not good)

Andeo

got an idea. will try with turned front wheel - in this position bike is most vulnerable

Gizmo

Site Suporter

Similar system on Honda's NT700V (ST1300's little brother). It's worked SEVERAL times for me!

Andeo

simple, yes. but I prefer more level of safety...
like this

I dont care about beauty at all) when Im choosing next after Shadow750 bike, I search lot of features: driveshaft, electronic ignition, abs, low seat, cruiser style, modern electronic filling... but not a presence or color :D
doctor whats wrong with me)))

so, I bought DN and got an ideal bike for my query! Because none other cruiser apply this list)
maybe honda fury does.. but costs...)

Last edited: