Engineers have tried and failed for decades

Admin

Founder
Staff member
Engineers have tried and failed for decades to build motorcycles with automatic transmissions. Honda finally gets it right with the new DN-01 "sports cruiser" bike. Conventional automatic transmissions, like those in cars, lag when you hit the throttle and can throw a bike off balance during turns. Honda's HFT (for Human Friendly Transmission) responds to the throttle instantly by using hydraulic pumps instead of standard gears.
The HFT offers a range of gear ratios similar to a conventional six-speed manual, and it has about the same weight and dimensions. The motorcycle goes on sale in Japan this year, though a price has not been set. Honda hasn't yet decided if America's weekend rebels will get their own auto-shifting bike.

jimposey

auto transmission

You are absolutely right! If Hond would put this transmission in a Wing, I would buy one tomorrow! I love my wife's DN-01!:

ag1

To be more accurate, the transmission would be considered a variable fluid coupler with selectable presets. This is a stroke of genious! Even in many cars they use pulleys, clutches, overly complicated valve bodys. This is as good as it gets, and will probobly be available in a multitude of vehicles in the future. We can take advantage of it first!

DNSarnia

It's funny to read that last reply and predictions of the future of the HFT transmission.

I too would like to see it incorporated into small cars - maybe even electric cars?

So far, I'm thinking Honda has the patent, and isn't letting it get out of their hands.