final drive cover

i have wanted to change the final drive cover(plastic cover over the shaft drive) and i haven't been able to find something that looks better than the plastic std one.
i contacted a carbon fibre company that does a lot of carbon fibre parts for bikes,they said they would do one if i could get at least 5 orders for it.
they have to make a plug from my standard one.
they couldn't give me a exact cost until they saw the part but said it should be around the $150 mark.
so my next question is would anyone be interested in one?
i also talked to them about a alternator cover and if we want anything else done as long as we have 5 or more orders they can make it for us.
the more people that order the cheaper it will be.
regards Stacey

Quasi Moto

I am on a mission to Butch Up my Dino, so one thing I did was just remove the Final Drive/Shaft Drive Cover all together. Now it looks Rough Neck Tuff.
I was thinking of going naked on the Grey Plastic Covered parts but just too many wires and things that look like they need that protection.

therustyaxe

Might to be able to help

I have a good friend that works in hydrographics. I am going to have him dip some plastic parts for me in carbon fiber. After the part is dipped it is just as good looking as real carbon fiber. They can do anything you want, metal, plastic, rims and even fire arms. The finish is great and very durable.

You can go to their website (http://www.ochydrographics.com/) to see some of the work he has done and check out the process.

If you are interested pm me. I'll wait to have my cover done and he can do them at the same time.

Paul

very interesting,please let us know when you have done it and tell us what you think of it.
i ended up using 3m tape carbon fibre look.
it was a true pain in the ass to do on the final drive cover without getting
creases in it,but it turned out o.k

therustyaxe

Not a problem, I'll let you know in about a week. Hopefully sooner as they do a lot of carbon fiber stuff I might be able to get it done soon. When I do I will post up some pics.

therustyaxe

I took a couple parts off tonight and should have them back on friday.

It is a process that takes about a week because they have to strip it of natural oils that might be impregnated in the plastic, degrease, cleanse, then paint with water born paint so the Hyrdo sticks, then dip, let dry, clear coat, sand down with 800 grit sand paper, then buff, and much more.

I will have before and after pics for everyone on Saturday I am hoping.

They should come out great.

therustyaxe

The parts have arrived :)

I only had the right side engine cover and the Final Drive cover done so far. This week will be the left side engine cover. The first two pics before, the following is from today. :)

This was done with a transparent carbon fiber. My buddy said the factory black had metallic in it. If you look closely at your covers you can see the metallic. He used the transparent to make the metallic stand out. They came out really nice. The pictures do not do them justice. I am very happy. I hope you all like them. Like I said above, I will do the other side of the engine this week. I am just waiting on new emblems. :)

very nice job,it looks great, what did it cost you to do the 2 covers?
did you talk about if you flex the cover could the paint crack?

therustyaxe

very nice job,it looks great, what did it cost you to do the 2 covers?
did you talk about if you flex the cover could the paint crack?
It cost me $150 USD for both covers. Nope won't crack. Flexible, heat resistant and very hard to scratch. I saw a complete Sport Bike (fairings, full cowling, fenders and more) that has been ridden for 7 months and looks new.

The stuff is so durable that they are now doing the valve covers for a Big name race team in NHRA (National Hot Rod Association).

Best part is you get your parts back within a week. ;)

I almost went with red carbon fiber but, eh, I like just carbon.

He is willing to give us the buddy deal if anyone is interested. Just paying for material and labor. Of course anyone gotta pay the shipping though.

The clear coat applied when the product is done looks FANTASTIC. I wish I could take better pictures. Maybe I should have dusted off the parts before I took the pics, LOL ...that might have helped.

This process is strange. Very High Tech. The insides of the parts have been barely touched. I can't wait to get more done.

There is no minimum order. Anyone can have it done :D

Like I said before, they do firearms, car rims, plastic, custom bikes, all kinds of things. Let your imagination run wild. He will do anything.

Paul

Last edited:

therustyaxe

Oh, and by the way, it's not paint. Its a complicated process with a film. The clear coat can be considered as paint but it wont crack if flexed.

Paul

Redn01

Paul they look great, you say you looked at having them done in red? Are they able to do a range of colours?

James

therustyaxe

Paul they look great, you say you looked at having them done in red? Are they able to do a range of colours?

James
Hiya James, yes they can do red carbon fiber as well. I will have to check with him to see what colors he can do at the moment.

He does great work. He can do any part in about any color. If anyone wants to know what he has at the shop, all I have to do is ask. :)

I was going to do the cover on other side this week but, I will not have enough time as I will be taking a 3000 mile ride in the beginning of August.

Paul

therustyaxe

Yup they can be cromed as well. I am out of town at the moment, Ok, I took a month long road trip on the Honda lol. But it all costs the same. So far on this trip I have put well over 1000 miles on the bike and no chips or cracks. I'm ganna have more done myself. ;)

Paul

josmif

chromed

Yup they can be cromed as well. I am out of town at the moment, Ok, I took a month long road trip on the Honda lol. But it all costs the same. So far on this trip I have put well over 1000 miles on the bike and no chips or cracks. I'm ganna have more done myself. ;)

Paul
I would like to have them chromed is it possible
So were I can send the parts to be chromed and how much would cost me?
Engine covers and final drive cover

Honda did do these in chrome as a accessories for the dn 01 but i cannot track any down. they do list them on there jap web site.

spamer80

It was so lazy to write, but since noone elce helped here it goes

ant that's how it's looking in real life

but anyway, I don't like it. DN is not a "all-chrome-machine" at all.