Front platforms to pegs

james51k

Hi to all. Has any member considered and/or undertaken conversion of front platform rests to foot-pegs. Looks to be far more difficult to do on the DN-01 than would be for most other bikes. I'm looking for a little more stretch out leg room on the longer journeys (6ft 2in). Many tnx

3spd6

if you go on to youtube, type super custom dn01, there is a 3:02 film of a white custom dn with footpegs and other nice stuff. (i'd forward it if i knew how.):confused:

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Hi to all. Has any member considered and/or undertaken conversion of front platform rests to foot-pegs. Looks to be far more difficult to do on the DN-01 than would be for most other bikes. I'm looking for a little more stretch out leg room on the longer journeys (6ft 2in). Many tnx

And ruin the looks ... shame on you! (Ha Ha Ha)

james51k

if you go on to youtube, type super custom dn01, there is a 3:02 film of a white custom dn with footpegs and other nice stuff. (i'd forward it if i knew how.):confused:
Thanks, have seen youtube video today, 'can be done' - many thanks, cheers

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Yeh I know BUT really need the leg room.. Have also considered raising seat height & may well go down this track...decisions, decisions? Thanks 4 ur reply

IF you do go "down this track," PLEASE supply pictures of work done ... you will probably "inspire" others to follow your lead!

james51k

IF you do go "down this track," PLEASE supply pictures of work done ... you will probably "inspire" others to follow your lead!
Will do, although I'm not likely to look at it for a short while largely because I take the point from another that it does impact on the cycles presentation. Nonetheless, comfort may will decide in the end.
Cheers

james51k

Raising the seat height reduces the knee room slightly.
True enough DNDOM

Object here is to raise rider's seat & at same time move seat towards the back

This said, when raising the rider seat the top surface does also move up the passenger seat 's front end slope, so, raising the seat will also move the rider's seating position slightly backwards

I'm considering all options at this moment

I've had a budgetary quote on raising & stepping the rider seat back - quote estimates $600-$700 & provides a rise of 60mm with around a 60mm step backwards

The motor trimmer simulated the new seat modification for me - it does give an acceptable improvement to seating for a tall rider (of say 188cm tall) of around around 80mm leg length - effectively reducing riders inset by around 8cm's hence the knee will move down from the tank a little

Any alteration of this nature of coarse comes with a corrective cost should one decide to reverse the mod' at say a sale of the bike at some time down the track

Last edited:

Gallo

True enough DNDOM

Object here is to raise rider's seat & at same time move seat towards the back

This said, when raising the rider seat the top surface does also move up the passenger seat 's front end slope, so, raising the seat will also move the rider's seating position slightly backwards

I'm considering all options at this moment

I've had a budgetary quote on raising & stepping the rider seat back - quote estimates $600-$700 & provides a rise of 60mm with around a 60mm step backwards

The motor trimmer simulated the new seat modification for me - it does give an acceptable improvement to seating for a tall rider (of say 188cm tall) of around around 80mm leg length - effectively reducing riders inset by around 8cm's hence the knee will move down from the tank a little

Any alteration of this nature of coarse comes with a corrective cost should one decide to reverse the mod' at say a sale of the bike at some time down the track
Things to think about, its a low seat chopper in original condition, I dont know if you have GIVI windshield or not, but think like this, if you start with changing seat its simply impossible, if you want to do it right, as 2 screws holding it + passenger seat is attached with plastic L holders. Basically you would need new seat. Frame, soft part and leather, also in 2 parts as main holding is with 2 bolts.

Why I even mentioned windshield, I dont know are you calculating in miles or kilometers, but lets say when I was driving 90km/h with original windshield and I had a feeling that brick was thrown toward my chest, no probs now when using Givi. If you set seat higher, you might have same issue, brick effect. I am 182cm. Just thing to think about. Changing footpegs will not give you much room. as center of back break is still in same position. If you would mount right back break to your handlebar, like scooters have, then yes you can play with footpegs.

Only thing safely and nicely what is in my mind to do, could be this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONFORMAX-TOPPER-EXCEL-ULTRA-FLEX-MOTORCYCLE-GEL-SEAT-CUSHION-AIRMAX-LARGE-/222085801601?hash=item33b5586681:g:RKEAAOSwd0BVsorC&vxp=mtr

I actually got more room for legs, by simply changing foam part in the seat, as it was 0,5cm now I have 3cm of foam and I can sit any part of the long seat, even in the middle of 2 seats connection and it does not hurt :)

Last edited:

james51k

Things to think about, its a low seat chopper in original condition, I dont know if you have GIVI windshield or not, but think like this, if you start with changing seat its simply impossible, if you want to do it right, as 2 screws holding it + passenger seat is attached with plastic L holders. Basically you would need new seat. Frame, soft part and leather, also in 2 parts as main holding is with 2 bolts.

Why I even mentioned windshield, I dont know are you calculating in miles or kilometers, but lets say when I was driving 90km/h with original windshield and I had a feeling that brick was thrown toward my chest, no probs now when using Givi. If you set seat higher, you might have same issue, brick effect. I am 182cm. Just thing to think about. Changing footpegs will not give you much room. as center of back break is still in same position. If you would mount right back break to your handlebar, like scooters have, then yes you can play with footpegs.

Only thing safely and nicely what is in my mind to do, could be this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONFORMAX-TOPPER-EXCEL-ULTRA-FLEX-MOTORCYCLE-GEL-SEAT-CUSHION-AIRMAX-LARGE-/222085801601?hash=item33b5586681:g:RKEAAOSwd0BVsorC&vxp=mtr

I actually got more room for legs, by simply changing foam part in the seat, as it was 0,5cm now I have 3cm of foam and I can sit any part of the long seat, even in the middle of 2 seats connection and it does not hurt :)

Hi Galo---all good points & tnx for ur thoughts, I will take all thoughts by all into account----Re: windshield, not used - but it's a good point. Many tnx