Fuel Pump and Filter

Freddy

I've been doing some work on my new-to-me Dino over the last week or so to ensure it's up to scratch and fitting cruise control (which I'll add pix for when finished) while I'm about it. I also have a Kawasaki 1400GTR (and a few other bikes) which is prone to fuel pump issues when the dirty local fuel blocks the suction screen on the pump. I also fixed a friend's Kawasaki VN1600 last year, which wouldn't run since it was parked a year or more earlier. As it happens, the Dino fuel pump, which I removed today to check, is similar to the VN1600 and early ZXZ14 (ZZR1400) in that it has the very same internal filter within the pump unit on the pressure side of the pump element. The VN1600 pump was stuffed and the filter totally blocked. The black cap is 'welded' to the white housing and a small screwdriver needs to be used to split it off. So, if anyone has fuel supply issues, the problem may be a blocked filter, which is inaccessible without destroying the pump - just so you know what's in there.

Below are pix of the DN pump. You will observe that the white housing has the same black cap as the Kawasaki pump.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gizmo

Site Suporter
I've been doing some work on my new-to-me Dino over the last week or so to ensure it's up to scratch and fitting cruise control (which I'll add pix for when finished) while I'm about it. I also have a Kawasaki 1400GTR (and a few other bikes) which is prone to fuel pump issues when the dirty local fuel blocks the suction screen on the pump. I also fixed a friend's Kawasaki VN1600 last year, which wouldn't run since it was parked a year or more earlier. As it happens, the Dino fuel pump, which I removed today to check, is similar to the VN1600 and early ZXZ14 (ZZR1400) in that it has the very same internal filter within the pump unit on the pressure side of the pump element. The VN1600 pump was stuffed and the filter totally blocked. The black cap is 'welded' to the white housing and a small screwdriver needs to be used to split it off. So, if anyone has fuel supply issues, the problem may be a blocked filter, which is inaccessible without destroying the pump - just so you know what's in there.

Below are pix of the DN pump. You will observe that the white housing has the same black cap as the Kawasaki pump.
Thank you for the info

Freddy

While wasting even more time than usual on the computer today and helping a fellow 1400GTR (C14) rider with a fuel pump issue I came upon this Suzuki filter which may fit the Dino if you have a problem.

Last edited:

Freddy

I got one of the filters in the above post so as to have a closer look to see if it would fit the Dino. Answer: maybe - as the pressure regulator is positioned differently. Whether that will interfere with another part of the assembly won't be known until I remove the pump from my bike again one day to compare and/or fit it- which probly won't be soon. I think it will if that white plastic prong is removed. Other dimensions appear to be identical. Anyhow, here's another coupla pix to look at.

Dine fuel filter.jpgDino filter1.jpgDino filter2.jpg

Last edited: