Good buy?!?!

flavioguy

I've come across thru a friend a local 2009 Dino for sale with Givi windshield. It has about 8,900 miles and seems in very good condition. He's asking $5K. I would be the 3rd owner. The current owner has done no maintenance other than oil changes (meaning no coolant, brake fluid or air filter changes). That concerns me.

Would this be a good or bad purchase based on that bit of information??

Thx

DammmDel

3 owners and only 8.900 miles would concern me if I'm honest.. brake fluid if it is still clean I would think is ok, as for filter, coolant and oil. I would do an automatic renew whatever vehicle I bought.
I also use ebay as a price guide hope that helps :)

dndom

As long as everything works just make sure it has/had the 8kmls service. Loads of bikes hardly get used.

RiserOfEvil

Low mileage DN01

I bought one a couple months ago with only 500 miles! Was a bit concerned, but it looks/starts/drives like brand new. I have the oil change kit waiting for me to do that once it starts warming back up. No rush for me as I'm waiting on my MR windshield (9 week lead time!), which SHOULD arrive in February.

flavioguy

I realize that some people must like the Dino since there's a forum for it BUT.... reviews for this bike are pretty scathing!!

I think Honda was brave to take a risk and I believe they took the knowledge from the Dino and applied it the CTX models.

My question to you owners, does it really drive as sloppy as some articles lead you to believe**?? Why did you buy it? For the desire to own something unique or to ride on a daily basis or both?

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2012/02/article/memorable-motorcycle-honda-dn-01/ Portion of article below.
**Ah yes, corners. Riding a motorcycle through a corner is one of the great activities in life. It compares favorably to sipping a fine Chardonnay by the river on a warm summer evening; feeling the ski bite the snow as the turn is perfectly initiated and yes, gentle and subtle love making. Getting a corner perfectly right on a bike is a thing of beauty, of harmony, of sensory delight – an act which brings warmth to the soul, lightness to the heart and a smile to the rider’s face. Corners are what make a bike a bike and not a car, or tractor, or a lawnmower, a truck or a snowmobile. Corners go straight to the heart and soul of a motorcycle.

Then there is cornering on a DN.

One of the only strengths of the DN01 is its transmission which seamlessly transfers power to the ground through a shaft drive.
The DN-01 isn’t without some success as its transmission seamlessly transfers power through a shaft drive.
I prefer to use the words “navigating a corner” when it comes to the DN for the very good reason that being at the helm of a sailboat and riding the DN are very similar activities. The DN has to be forced to turn because of its shallow head angle and then the forks flex and it wallows round with the rider giving a touch of rudder and then easing off again and then another tug at the rudder as the bend is negotiated. On a lake, this is fun but the DN simply emasculates the joy of motorcycle riding and that is unforgivable.

DammmDel

To be honest I have had my dino now for 3 years and the only issue I had was the spark plug caps. once those were changed there have been no issues at all. I find the bike very easy to ride and loads of fun as well as being a main talking point where ever I park to rest with other riders coming up to chat about it. In my opinion this bike not only looks good, rides good it makes you friends as well :).
My wife also enjoys the ride on this as she has arthritis of the spine and the faultless gear change makes for a smooth and happy day out.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
IF you ARE seriously thinking of buying the bike, I recommend that you take it for a ride to SEE IF it really IS something that you are willing to have! IF the bike you want is a "serious" cornering machine then this is NOT it! The Dino is LONG and low thus GREAT for comfort and going STRAIGHT! I discovered this by utilizing a cone weaving course ... I was not happy with my performance. I have had my DN-01 for about 4 years now. I bought mine because it does what I want it to do (not a speed/crotch rocket person) and it IS unique and cool as hell. Be leery about getting work (maintenance) done on it, VERY few Honda shops have EVER worked on one, let alone ever seen one!

whitehawk

The DN-01 is the easiest bike to ride that I've ever ridden and yes the cornering technique is closer to a big scooter than a more sporty motorbike. However, the DN-01 is unique in that it doesn't fit into the sportsbike, tourer or scooter categories. It's more like a practical/easy to ride/everyday cruiser.
Many of the reviews recognised this which understandably made the review difficult - what do you compare it with? Compared to a sportier bike it is slow and handling is too laid back. Compared to a tourer it is underpowered and has no storage and a useless screen. Compared to a big scooter it has no protection and again no storage. Compared to a cruiser it's a bit understated and tame.
But the combination of low seat, super smooth transmission, easy and comfortable ride, good looks and Honda reliability make it a good choice for those of us that want those things.
Personally I and my wife went for it because we had to downsize to one bike and it was the best compromise for us - she wanted low seat with auto transmission; I wanted something that could be used for commuting and since I was giving up the power and handling of an ST1300 I wanted something a bit interesting. We both wanted reliability and comfort.
I do miss the ST1300 but the DN-01 is a nice bike and satisfying to ride and for my wife a great step up from her previous bike - the Suzuki AN400.

dndom

Handling

Well there are idiot riders and then there are journalists. The DN has superb stability, comfort and transmission.It certainly doesn't 'flex' or 'slop'. Sports bikes are designed for cornering above all else and can be twitchy when upright. If I want to put my race face on I take out my Ducati and suffer it's inadequacies. Horses for courses!

Last edited:

flavioguy

Yes....I suppose some think just because it has two wheels you should be able to drag your knee on the pavement! :D

I'm assuming getting parts is not a problem, let alone finding a dealer who can work on the Dino???

I think the Dino looks are pretty awesome. And for someone who rode a Piaggio MP3 400, something that looks different doesn't bother me. Man that scoot could go thru the twisties!!!

I just hope that a 5'8" 150lb dude can move that heavy besty around. ;)

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Yes....I suppose some think just because it has two wheels you should be able to drag your knee on the pavement! :D

I'm assuming getting parts is not a problem, let alone finding a dealer who can work on the Dino???

I think the Dino looks are pretty awesome. And for someone who rode a Piaggio MP3 400, something that looks different doesn't bother me. Man that scoot could go thru the twisties!!!

I just hope that a 5'8" 150lb dude can move that heavy besty around. ;)

I will have to tell you, the Dino is NOT easy to move around, It IS heavy and IF you EVER become a victim of the bike TRYING to fall ... it's a bear to TRY to stop it! I discovered this when I was on it twice ... one time I got my leg trapped under it and had a hard time getting it out. Plan on doing a lot of your own maintenance because it's quite costly for Honda labor-wise to remove the plastic to get to anything.

DammmDel

I had dropped it twice when I first got the bike due to it being heavy and not being used to it. However for me both times it only fell to the front footrest and sat there and did not fall completely as other bikes do therefore no damage was done to the bike, only to my ego lol. I'm 5'6'' and less than 150lb and find it easy to handle now. :)

zebra03

Coming up on 5 years on mine . Gizmo was spot on in his analysis . Comfy , not sporty describes this bike .