handle bar wobble

when riding my bike if i take both hands off the handle bars there is a slight wobble in the handle bars.
i have noticed that their isn't any wheel weights on the front rim.
does anyone else have this problem and do they have wheel weights on the front wheel.
regards Stacey

usmcrider

I too have noticed that wobble. I have a weight on the front tire but i do not think that has anything to do with it.

I think it has to do with the fact that a lot of weight is on the back tire and not the front. i would think a stabilizer bar or i have heard of putting PVC in the front tubes helps. I have not done anything about it since there is no reason to have both hands off the bike at any given time.

I would like to hear what others think and have done.

tlyons

when riding my bike if i take both hands off the handle bars there is a slight wobble in the handle bars.
i have noticed that their isn't any wheel weights on the front rim.
does anyone else have this problem and do they have wheel weights on the front wheel.
regards Stacey

I've noticed my front wheel wobbles with my hands off also. But then riding with no hands has several other issues for me anyway. Bike is in the garage for the winter so no check on the tire balancing weight.

bhamrider

Had the front wheel shake last week when I lifted my hands off the handlebars. I checked the air pressure and found out I was down to 30 psi. I bumped it up to 36 and the problem is gone. Most bikes are very sensitive to tire pressure and the DN-01 is no exception. I may try 38 psi to see how it feels. The tires also ware faster at low pressure.

DLewis

Wobble can also come from tire wear such as over inflation, under inflation, and cupping. Check your manual to make sure your tire pressure is always hitting the mark recommended. The over & under inflation issue will really help with the best gas mileage and cupping. Cupping usually happens when the motorcycle is parked for long periods of time in one place. The weight of the bike is constantly sitting on the tires creating a flat spot. When you finally pull out the bike to ride, the tires rotate with the flat spot causing the possible "wobble" feeling or vibration.

When parking your bike for long periods of time, turn your handle bar to the right. This will angle the front tire up, putting the center of the tire on the ground prevent the flat spot on the side where cupping occurs. The bike must also be moved periodically to change the positioning of the tire on the ground.

Hope this helps:)[/FONT]

bhamrider

Well I thought the wobble was gone. After riding home from work today I decided to test it at about 60 mph on a 4 lane hwy. Its still there but not as much. I have weights on the tires and ride 2-3 times a week (weather permitting). I will be making 200 to 300 mile rides soon and would like to fix the problem. It dosn't seem to be a balancing issue but could be. Anybody got any ideas?

i have tried different tyre pressures and still didnt fix it so i adjusted my headset bearings and it is nearly perfect very slight wobble.

bhamrider

Sorry for the dumb question. I wasn't familiar with the term.
The service manual refers to it as the steering stem bearing.
Looks like the "special tools" are needed. How did you tighten yours?

bhamrider

I just replaced the front tire at 4K miles. It was handling really bad especially in the twisties. I replaced the Bridgestone was a Dunlop. Major difference. I guess the original tire age and tread pattern was the cause of its demise.
After reading three articles about tire cupping, it seems that tread pattern has a lot to do with it. No more wobble!

mine has done 8000 kms and is tarting to wobble bad,i think time for a new tyre.
let me know what you think of the dunlop please.

bhamrider

I only have about 450 miles (724 kms) on the Dunlop and really like it. The wobble is almost gone. I'm putting Dyna Beads in tonight to see if it will help with if there is a balancing issue.
I read that Goldwings have the same issue and the Dyna Beads helped a lot. I think the Dunlop will ware a lot better than the Bridgestone due to the more symetrical tread pattern, more like a car tire. I only got 4K miles out of the Bridgestone and have never seen a tire that looked so good and handled so bad.

Stove Pipe

It would be nice if we could use Centramatic Balancers on the DN-01. I have a set on the Goldwing and WHAT DIFFERENCE!!

bhamrider

Front tire wobble

Its back. After changing to a Dunlop front tire the wobble is back. The tire seems to wearing well and looks like it will outlast the Bridgestone.
I think the problem may be more related to the weight distribution and a shift of the CG (center of gravity) to the rear of the bike.
I rode to the grocery store and loaded the Givi side and top case. The ride home was not good!! and I had to slow down.
If anyone can offer some advice I will appreciate the input.
At 80-90 mph this is a serious problem.

:cool:

Gizmo

Site Suporter
I too discovered that there is a definite wobble @ 45 mph BUT once I get up to 60+ mph, it's gone! Not that I recommend riding with "no hands" but I did discover, during my many "testings" of my "stock" DN-01 capabilities, that the wobble did disappear. I had read on the "other" site (www.dn01.org) that it has to do with the design of the steering "head bearings," (round vice cylindrical). Someone switched out the "original" bearings with the other type and the wobble disappeared. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

bhamrider

Thanks Gizmo, I think the bearing issue is the next thing I'll address. I've got a service manual and a digital torque wrench. Guess I'll do that first (in my spare time). I have a great source for bearings, Motion Industries. Do you know if its a change from tapered bearings or change to tapered?

bhamrider

Thanks Gizmo, I think the bearing issue is the next thing I'll address. I've got a service manual and a digital torque wrench. Guess I'll do that first (in my spare time). I have a great source for bearings, Motion Industries. Do you know if its a change from tapered bearings or change to tapered?