help,anyone?

new dn mama

brought the dn[09] in for it,s 24000 mile service 2 weeks ago,running fine,got acall from shop sayin gasket is broken ,possibility for leakage into emission system,ok wait aweek for new gaskets,get it all back together,on test ride it stalls an dies.been hooked to computer ,sayin err on just about everything.going thru corporate checkin this an that but now we,re on 2 weeks,i mentioned bout the plug cap recall and lousy battery life ,any other suggestions from you mechanical gurus out there?they,ve got it stripped down naked[not pretty]just wanna ride again,but worry free...

Gizmo

Site Suporter
If it was running fine before then I would question the competency of the mechanics, just saying
I second that. I wonder just how many DN-01 that the shop has EVER worked on prior to your bike. Hopefully it WAS a Honda shop that you took it to to begin with. Keep us posted as the "mystery" evolves.

new dn mama

up-date

dn remains in critical condition,battery only registering at 15%[maybe 3 years old-never sits long enough to die with me-hmm]new battery$ 200.00.tech support thinks maybe the ecm is shot[engine control module]basically blew it,s brain...got anew 1 on order,lucky I got the extended warranty,but they say can,t expedite the part being it,s awarranty issue.so we wait maybe another week?this is the 1st dn the shop,s ever had,but I,ve had it serviced there since I got it,service manager says it,s just something that goes sometimes and lucky I wasn,t on road trip.doesn,t make me feel much better,beautiful fall day should be out there...:

dn remains in critical condition,battery only registering at 15%[maybe 3 years old-never sits long enough to die with me-hmm]new battery$ 200.00.tech support thinks maybe the ecm is shot[engine control module]basically blew it,s brain...got anew 1 on order,lucky I got the extended warranty,but they say can,t expedite the part being it,s awarranty issue.so we wait maybe another week?this is the 1st dn the shop,s ever had,but I,ve had it serviced there since I got it,service manager says it,s just something that goes sometimes and lucky I wasn,t on road trip.doesn,t make me feel much better,beautiful fall day should be out there...:
$200 for a battery is way to much money(should be around$100)
sounds like they did something wrong in there work shop to your bike and now you have to suffer until they can get it fixed.
I hope they gave you a loner bike until they get it fixed.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Since the battery ONLY registers @ 15% now, I have a "sneaky" feeling that somehow "the shop" fried the battery PLUS electrical "components" in the process. Things just do NOT add up since you just had in for it's 24K service/tuneup and now it runs "crappy!"

Pebbles

Wow this sounds so much like a shop covering up an inexperienced mechanics mistakes. IF its a Honda dealership I'd escalate past the service manager to the GM/ owner and then to Honda US regional rep. There shouldn't be any mystery on the engine repair with a competent mechanic on a Dino. This is not an exotic bike or unique engine. The whole battery at 15% is BS, no real mechanic would talk like that.

You went in with a running bike and a functioning battery. This shop may have a history of abusing warranty claims or just milking customers. You need to find a local advocate familiar with repair work. It doesn't have to be a lawyer, just somebody like a former shop mechanic who knows the ropes. If you don't belong to a local riding group or the HRCA club you should consider that. Get the opinion and advice of experienced riders in your area that know this shop and the guys working there.

At the very least always ask for a discount, they inflate the prices so a 5% or 10% discount sounds good. We get a 20% from one local dealer! you think we believe that? At least we're getting something off.

If it's a Honda dealer make sure you join the HRCA online. It's free and while not as useful as it used to be, it may help with talking to Honda US.

Good luck on this and keep a log of everything going on for reference going forward.

Terran Sin
Advocate in training for Pebbles

DammmDel

this is the 1st dn the shop,s ever had,but I,ve had it serviced there since I got it,service manager says it,s just something that goes sometimes and lucky I wasn,t on road trip.:

if this is the first time they have had a dn-01 in the shop how can he make the statement '' its just something that goes sometimes'' this is the most reliable bike I personally have ridden. I also agree this is a cover up and an attempt to save face and probably cost of repair.

bhamrider

You are definitely a victim of a dealer that doesn't know how to work on a dino. That's a factor everywhere except where you find a high end Honda shop with top quality mechanics. Very few dealerships have even seen one.
The folks on this forum can help sort this out!
#1 Ask them what gaskets are needed?
#2 Did they run the computer codes when the bike was first checked and what were they. If you get can get them I can look them up. That is something all competent shops do.
#3 Honda ECM's are bullet proof and rarely go bad. The DN-01 was built as a no compromise bike.
#4 The 15% battery claim and $200 charge would make me turn around and walk.
If I were me, I would get me Dino out of there and seek competent help.
You need to look at the body panels and make sure they are not damaged and that all the hardware is there.
Go in and demand some action! Ask for the computer codes and post them here. Very sorry you are being treated this way.
Let me know more.

new dn mama

on the road again!

first of all,thanx for all the support.that was a 3 week nightmare!i went in to pick up the battery[found exact same 1 for$ 80 -$200 is quite amarkup]anyway started thinkin ,should get a second opinion-3shops said battery was fine,hmm-cancelled new battery.brought old 1 back to the shop -still no ecm.arrived next day,test ride went good but they wanted 1 more day to be sure.called, next day but was 50 mph gusts, killed me but not all stupid...next day,beautiful fall day,pick up bike amidst apologies,did get 10% off parts and hour free labor$ 472 damage done,once on the road ,figure better fuel up,press the trigger,hear spalshin,theres my fuel spillin onto the pavement!call the shop ,they come out with the trailer,back at the shop seems a clamp wasn,t tight.back on the road I decide to take the long way home,don,t want problems on the interstate.great ride ,celebrated with wax job for the dn and a few glasses of vino for me.[oh ya they gave me afree tank of gas..]put on another 120 miles today, wound it out on the freeway,seems all normal.probly lookin for new shop,mechanic not too pleased,guess he got reamed out by corporate,oh well ,did bring them a dozen donuts,never know when you might not want a burnt bridge...and we all lived happy ever after.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Glad you made peace with the shop ... still think that you got ripped!! IF the tech didn't feel competent to work on the bike, should NOT have even attempted it. AND corporate should have reamed the techs ... go to school OR crack open the book and do it right!

DammmDel

first of all,thanx for all the support.that was a 3 week nightmare!i went in to pick up the battery[found exact same 1 for$ 80 -$200 is quite amarkup]anyway started thinkin ,should get a second opinion-3shops said battery was fine,hmm-cancelled new battery.brought old 1 back to the shop -still no ecm.arrived next day,test ride went good but they wanted 1 more day to be sure.called, next day but was 50 mph gusts, killed me but not all stupid...next day,beautiful fall day,pick up bike amidst apologies,did get 10% off parts and hour free labor$ 472 damage done,once on the road ,figure better fuel up,press the trigger,hear spalshin,theres my fuel spillin onto the pavement!call the shop ,they come out with the trailer,back at the shop seems a clamp wasn,t tight.back on the road I decide to take the long way home,don,t want problems on the interstate.great ride ,celebrated with wax job for the dn and a few glasses of vino for me.[oh ya they gave me afree tank of gas..]put on another 120 miles today, wound it out on the freeway,seems all normal.probly lookin for new shop,mechanic not too pleased,guess he got reamed out by corporate,oh well ,did bring them a dozen donuts,never know when you might not want a burnt bridge...and we all lived happy ever after.

As long as your happy :D

DNSarnia

Back to one of the questions posted... did you ever get 'error codes'?

Is there a obdII connector on the DN-01? if so... where is it?

bhamrider

They replaced the ECM and can't hook up a fuel hose properly? Oh well, all's well that ends well, I hope.
I like the donut peace gesture. Your too nice. They know they screwed up and tried to take advantage, (they still did so with their warranty charges)
The code reader connecter is in front of the battery, next to the bike manual.
It is a connector on a cable with a red cap on the top.

Glad your back on the road, don't go back there.