Hi

Moggie

Hi from Nuneaton England.
I would appreciate any advice on how to make my ride more comfortable as I'm getting on a bit and it's killing my lower back, any advice appreciated cheers.

DNSarnia

Your fist stop is a driver's back-rest. There are a few available. Alternatively, you can get a completely new seat - that has a different 'Butt-Print'.

I found the same - my lower back suffered the first couple of years of riding the DN-01

Welcome to the group.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Your fist stop is a driver's back-rest. There are a few available. Alternatively, you can get a completely new seat - that has a different 'Butt-Print'.

I found the same - my lower back suffered the first couple of years of riding the DN-01

Welcome to the group.

I use a rider/driver back rest ALL the time when I ride, it helps A LOT especially IF you ride any distances. (Won't ride without one on the Dino!)

BobF

Hi - I found that to improve how my back feels after a ride is to ratchet the rear suspension pre-load to near maximum - too soft a ride gave too much feedback - sounds counter-intuitive, but it worked for me. Also, changing posture to sit as upright as possible whilst tensing stomach muscles now and again does help.

spitfire_pt

Welcome to the group.
I only know UTOPIA, are there any others?

Overthehill

I don't know what or who you ride with, ie what if anything is on the passenger seat.
I ride solo and have a Cortech "soft" bag attached to the passenger seat.
It was tricky to fit but works well.
As a test I made up a "cushion" to attach to the front edge of the bag which pushes against my lower back. You could try different sizes of foam to see what might work.
To be honest I haven't actually tried it out yet on the road (only in the garage where it seemed quite comfortable), but may do soon if the weather clears.
I think most lower back pain is caused by bending the lower part of the spine in a semi-permanent fashion when we ride. ie we tend to stretch forward to the bars, which as anyone who has ridden sports bikes as I have for many years would know, it causes "discomfort" and semi numbness in the lower back and shoulders, arms and hands.
The more upright you ride and the more relaxed the arms the more comfortable you are.
Personally I find the dino quite a comfortable setup with the boards, swept back bars and roomy seat.
I had a couple of bikes to which I fitted backrests and found them to be too inconvenient getting on and off and I could never quite get them in the sweet spot.
Another option might be to try a "kidney/weight lifting belt when you ride as they help to keep your back straight.
Anyways, a couple of low cost alternatives to try before lashing out hundreds of dollars on an expensive "maybe" seat
good luck with your search
Pete

dndom

Back support.

Similar to 'Overthehill', a Givi plate and box bolted to the pillion seat with a foam filled computer bag bolted to the front for cushioning. Use this system on all my upright bikes when solo. Tried sport belts with limited success.

Last edited:

DNSarnia

Utopia is the kind I got....

I only know UTOPIA, are there any others?
This is the one I got. There is a set screw at the bottom behind the backrest, that is adjustable. It moves the backrest forward and back. With a little practice, and a throttle lock, I am able to adjust the position while on the road.... it helps a lot to change your posture every once in a while.

Last edited: