High Idle in Winter - Low Idle in Summer

Botanikman

I have a 2009 DN-01 that has about 25,000 miles on it. In summer heat when 98 or higher - esp. at red lights - it starts fluctuating below the norm of 1100 RPMs and may choke down. In winter, often idles too high to switch between N and Drive. I wondered it if might be related to a bad Air Charge Temp Sensor or some other sensor. Changing plugs and wires did not seem to help. In summer, using Seaform and ethanol free gas seems to keep from choking down at red lights. I live in SE GA which is hot in summer.

Last year had to replace right hand side handlebar switch assembly as when got least bit wet, kill switch seemed to short out D/Neutral switch and it would not start. Temporary fix before replacing was to use WD 40 spray. I do not think this is related to the problem I have now. Got bike when had 17,000 miles w/o a problems. Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated.

spamer80

High idle in winter is probably OK. It should be about 1400+RPM from start down to normal 1000 after about 30 minutes of ride. (In Russia, from 10C and below).
If it choke down in summer, check IACV sensor for dirt and stuck/worn etc. It is easily accesible from the right part of the engine, you just need to pull the coolant hoses and unscrew 2 20 torx. Also it should show you the DTC index if the engine is stopped by some sensor.

spamer80

16430-MEH-003

Here it is, under the metal plate. Be careful, it is very fragile.
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited: