Honda DN-01 GPS

XRDave

I finally decided to take the plunge and get the factory Garmin GPS setup and to my surprise I was told that they are no longer available for the Australian market. After a quick internet search I have been unable to locate any company national or international that has the setup in stock, I confirmed that the stock Honda item is quite expensive and I don't think that they would have sold many since the DN-01 first came out onto the market place. But it is disappointing that only after six years there is already obsolete and not available parts....bugga. On the off chance does anyone know where I might be able to get on of these mystical accessories or would I have better luck finding a Leprechaun and his pot of gold.

The part number is 08A40-MEH-800 another part number that I have discovered is 08A40-MEH-801, but my big question is "everything" required within the kit or is it one of several components?

Last edited:

XRDave

unfortunately I am trying to keep my Dino stock as much as possible but enhanced with the factory accessories this makes it some what harder. After all what other idiot besides myself would want to pay a large sum for a Garmin Zumo 550 that was obsolete back in 2010 lol. To make things worse I have an old Honda (Japanese) pamphlet from ebay that highlights quite a bit of DN-01 bling that is not available from Australia, although chrome body parts don't do much for me.

DNSarnia

Better to go another way...

I have the Honda (Garmin C550) Zumo GPS and have been disappointed in many ways.
1st, I purchased mine in 2010. The price was way out of line, but I too wanted to maintain the Honda Brand on the bike.
2nd, The original screen crapped out in about 2 years.... away from home in unknown territory! The fix was actually quite reasonable and easy - purchased the replacement screen on Ebay for about $25 + shipping and found a video on Youtube that demonstrated disassembly and fix.
3rd. The Honda GPS is a lower end GPS in it's bluetooth ability. It only broadcasts in Mono. To fix this, I've been using my phone for music and just 'looking' at the GPS.

In summary, at this point in the game there are far superior GPS devices available other than the original Honda (Garmin) GPS. The Cross bar that comes with the full kit truly is the value in the kit and easily adapts with minor cutting of the handlebar cover.

Found this one on EBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-DN-01...ash=item41b063a06d:g:lpQAAOSwHoFXp2d3&vxp=mtr

It's all you need to mount a newer GPS and it's reasonably priced at only $100 + shipping.

Last edited:

XRDave

Thank you for the update DNSarnia, I have taken your advice and I have purchased the two mounting kits first and then I will look at other GPS options. My concept of having nothing except official DN-01 accessories is starting to head south in the too hard basket. I already have the heated hand grip kit, the electric alarm kit and the security clamp that lives under the pillion seat. Unfortunately I have deviated from the Hond tall DN-01 touring screen and I got the Magic carbon fibre sports screen. Anyway I love my bike and I only wish I bought one years ago.:rolleyes:

spamer80

The best navi out there is this chinese thing. I have the previous 3.5" version and it works like a charm for years for me. Garmin and others just can`t beat the price and functionality.
I have there Navitel, Cityguide, Garmin, iGo Primo, 7ways, mapFactor Navigator Free and free to chose one of them whenever I want. Using it with OSM maps.

DNSarnia

I'll give it a try...

Hey Spammer, Thanks for that alternate GPS. After reading it's description, I'm thinking that it has better stats than the Garmin!

For $120 Canadian, it's a bit of a gamble, but if it works out as you say, it's a savings of about $600 vs the latest Zumo.

Thanks again.

spamer80

Hey Spammer, Thanks for that alternate GPS. After reading it's description, I'm thinking that it has better stats than the Garmin!

For $120 Canadian, it's a bit of a gamble, but if it works out as you say, it's a savings of about $600 vs the latest Zumo.

Thanks again.
Hi old friend. No problem here, but the link seems to be expired already. Well, for the others, I mean this navi. They look the same except of color.

Different names still, a lot of them. Google for "4.3 (or 5") waterproof gps".
Well, it worked for me in Africa 2013, Scandinavia 2014 and still the same unit does the job. I think it`s the proof of quality.

Last edited: