How to reduce the throttle return strength

Alexandre

Hi all,
One of the biggest bugbear during my 7000km trip across Europe in October was the constant pain from the very hard tension of the throttle grip.
After my grand tour was over, I immediately replaced my 2 throttle cables with brand new ones, which did reduce the effort required by something like 5% but that was not enough for me.
I've just found out that it is very easy to reduce the effort needed by around 10-15 more percents, by simply changing the leverage point for the return spring.
It is located directly on the throttle body, on the left side of the engine, above the cylinder heads.
I've shown the original spring wire position in the red circle - just lever it to the right with a flat blade scredriver until it pops down to rest on the next metal tab circled in green.
It's very easy to reach without having to remove any panel, and is also easy to undo in case you'd want to go back to original.
I don't : the bike is now much less stressful on my shoulder. The mod has no adverse effect on the ride. I'm very happy !

Attachments

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Hi all,
One of the biggest bugbear during my 7000km trip across Europe in October was the constant pain from the very hard tension of the throttle grip.
After my grand tour was over, I immediately replaced my 2 throttle cables with brand new ones, which did reduce the effort required by something like 5% but that was not enough for me.
I've just found out that it is very easy to reduce the effort needed by around 10-15 more percents, by simply changing the leverage point for the return spring.
It is located directly on the throttle body, on the left side of the engine, above the cylinder heads.
I've shown the original spring wire position in the red circle - just lever it to the right with a flat blade scredriver until it pops down to rest on the next metal tab circled in green.
It's very easy to reach without having to remove any panel, and is also easy to undo in case you'd want to go back to original.
I don't : the bike is now much less stressful on my shoulder. The mod has no adverse effect on the ride. I'm very happy !
Thank you

Alexandre

Hi,
There is no problem with the throttle coming back to idle : the spring still does its job, it's just less violent in doing so.
I'm sure you will find it more comfortable this way ! 😜