Installation of Kisan DHL Headlight Modulator

Stove Pipe

Installed the Kisan DHL Modulator Kit (flashes both headlights) onto the wife's new Dino. It was a little bit of a job and would be much harder if you have never had the forward plastic removed. I had to remove the seats then both side (tank) panels, then the foward nose cap (just as you were replacing the windshield). Once that's off you are looking at the headlight assemblies (three bolts each) I went ahead and removed them and placed them on the workbench, so I could install the modulator adapter plates and wires much easier. I had to drill one 1/4" hole in the lower side of each to run the wiring, and also you have to cut about a 50 cent size circle out of the back of the removable cover (the one that you remove to replace a light bulb) to allow for the increased depth of the adapter. Then I re-covered the cutout area with some thick duct type tape. NOTICE!!! If you do this intallation be sure to note the little beveled corner on the adapter plate that plugs between the socket and the bulb. IT MUST BE ON THE SIDE OF THE POSITIVE (+) TERMINAL OF THE SOCKET!! A reversal or placing it on the negative (-) side will fry the modulator control unit. I mounted the modulator control unit itself with the provided velcro between the headlights that didn't interfere with the forks turning back and forth. I then ran the wiring for the photo cell light sensor up the center under the cover right under the instrument panel then underneath the handlebar (leaving slack for the handlebars to turn) and zip tied the photocell itself against the cables where it had a good view of the sunlight.

It may sound complicated but taking your time and it will go just fine, then you can be seen MUCH BETTER coming down the road! Being seen is a life saver!!

bhamrider

I just put a Givi windshield and wih had I known. I would have done the modulator install at the same time. Oh well, live and learn. The 50 cent hole dosn't sound good. I might look at an alternitive. I had great response with headlight modulators on two other bikes. It stops people from pulling out in front of me most of the time. I've had several cars pull over to let me by.
I once had a line of oncoming traffic pull off the side of the road. Did they think I was a one bike funeral procession?

Stove Pipe

The 50 cent cut-out isn't bad. I actually used some aircraft fuel tank liner tape, but I assume you could find some sort of PVC pipe cap and glue it over the cut-out part. That's if you didn't trust the type tape you are using? Either way it's totally out of sight and in a location that moisture would be hard to get to.

Stove Pipe

Mark

The headlight modulator is a Kisan P115W-DHL
https://kisantech.com/view_product.php?product=P115W-DHL
WARNING!!! Be sure to install as per instructions + side of DC Voltage MUST be where the unit corner is diced off. This will make more sense when you read the instructions provided with the modulator.

The Tail light modulator is a Back-Off (I used the first one listed on the webpage)
http://www.customdynamics.com/signal_dynamics_back_off_brake_light_modulator.htm

Stebel Horn: http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/...o=/pgroup_list/gl1800/377_goldwing_horns/des/

Last edited:

new dn mama

so hey did you guys beef up the head lights not only to be seen better but also so people don,t keep tellin you you got aburnt out lite?i had to ask the dealer bout this first day i got the bike,he said he was pretty sure, this was the 'scooter side' of the dn01,almost ayear later i decided to ask again,same answer,not abiggie, i ride with hi beams alot,especially in congested areas[not at nite]like ya say good to be seen and it saves gettin the finger waggin sign your lite is out

RiserOfEvil

Modulator

Not a big fan of the modulators. I won't ride with anyone that uses them as they are very distracting and create a hazard for those riding in front. Yes, they make your presence much better known to oncoming traffic, but feel they are overkill unless you ride ALONE in very congested traffic. Recommend that if you install one, you install a disable switch for when you ride in groups.