Installed Whelen TIR3 Stoplight

Stove Pipe

Installed a Whelen TIR3 & wired to the stoplight, used flash pattern #1.
http://www.swps.com/whtisuledlim2.html

I noticed some of the Goldwingers using these at Wing Ding last year and it really makes the bike visible when stopping or more so while sitting stopped behind a line of traffic with others approaching quickly behind.

This installation was rather easy. I installed it in the place of the rear reflector. After removing the licence plate mounting bracket and licence plate light housing unit (as per service manual), I drilled a hole 1/4" thru from behind the reflector, all the way thru the reflector. While drilling, plan that hole location to be used for removing the reflector and later running your wires for the TIR3. Try to place it to one side or the other to keep the wires routed away from the licence plate light bulb. I also placed a piece of black heat shrink where the wires pass thru the bulb housing. Using that hole I had to take a screwdriver and pry the reflector loose. Be careful and use eye protection because the only way I could get the reflector loose was in pieces. It shattered as I pryed it loose, so it came out in pieces. Then taped the TIR3 housing in place allowing the top edge to run flush with the top edge of the licence plate light housing. I then pre-drilled the two mounting holes with a really small bit to attach the two screws supplied with the TIR3. Replaced the whole complete unit in reverse of removal, running the red wire to the brake light wire and the black wire to ground. I cut the white/purple & gray wire at the light, they are not needed once you set your flash pattern or plan to parallel with another TIR3.

Last edited:

usmcrider

I liked this idea so much I jumped on it ordered one should get it tomorrow. The measurements I saw online and from what I measured on the bike should be a perfect fit. Will have to install it this weekend. We all know anything you can do to be seen must help.

USMCrider

Stove Pipe

I liked this idea so much I jumped on it ordered one should get it tomorrow. The measurements I saw online and from what I measured on the bike should be a perfect fit. Will have to install it this weekend. We all know anything you can do to be seen must help.

USMCrider
It's real close to a perfect fit....BUT that's why I described aligning the top of the light housing and taping it into place while drilling the pilot holes for the mounting screws. You will see once you do the installation.

One other thing I failed to mention prior: The housing for the light is gloss black, before I mounted it, I took a piece of scotch-brite and lightly sanded the outside of the housing originally planning to paint it flat black. However, after light circular sanding motion the housing almost perfectly matched the matte black color of the back fender and housing, without painting.