Is this popping noise normal?

therustyaxe

Greetings all,

My DN-01 only has about 470 miles on it. Around the 100 mile mark it started making this loud click or popping kind of sound when I first take off. It does it even if I go very slow. It doesn't happen when shifting or any other time.

I talked to Honda and they said it could be possible that the bike is not broken in yet.

Has anyone else heard this sound?

Thanks,
Paul

it could be faulty spark plug caps, how is it at idle?
try starting your bike in a dark area and look around the spark plugs and see if there is any arcing.

therustyaxe

Thanks for the reply sentenel,

It idle is fine. The sound is a mechanical type of a clack sound. It's hard to explain. Honda Corp. said it might be the final drive gear still braking in but they don't know for sure. :confused:

therustyaxe

I might be able to attach a cam to pick up the sound, however, when I get moving all you can hear is wind. But non-the less, only happens when I first give it some throttle.

Great Idea. I'll give it a shot.

zebra03

I think you are talking about the bike engaging in gear when first taking off . Mine does this and I have had no problems .

therustyaxe

now with video

Ok guys I made a short vid. Thanks for all the input. Let me know what your take is on this. The sound is a little bit louder on the video because I put the mic directly above the transmission and drive shaft. I hope this is this sound of just initial engagement, I really do. Please give me your thoughts.

http://youtu.be/0HHoxhJQNcg

spamer80

That's interesting, I have no that sound or I just don't hear it. Maybe because I wear a quiet helmet and earplug headphones. Sometime I hear a metal clank, and that seems to be gear engaging sound, but yours is completely different. Is it loud to you? Do you riding manual or auto?

therustyaxe

That's interesting, I have no that sound or I just don't hear it. Maybe because I wear a quiet helmet and earplug headphones. Sometime I hear a metal clank, and that seems to be gear engaging sound, but yours is completely different. Is it loud to you? Do you riding manual or auto?
It seems to do it in every mode. Only when I first give it throttle. I can go through all gears with no sounds at all.

It's not that loud at all with a helmet. I know the mic placement made it sound real loud.

Paul

spamer80

Sure you can go through all gears with no sounds because DN-01 transmission is a hydraulic CVT, there is no physical gears.

Last edited:

the first sound sounds like a solenoid clacking in?
the other sound sounds like final drive or tail shaft clunk
have you checked the final drive fluid level?

DammmDel

popping

hi this is my first time here and what your explaining happened to my first bike cbf 125, always happens within the first 20 yards or so and only ever once that day. honda couldnt tell me what it was either but never altered the performance. im hoping my dn-01 doesnt do that though :).

regards del

Redn01

Mine does it too, it is just the final drive shaft engaging, I haven't worried about it, I put it down to some slack, which seems to be inherent, in the shaft drive mechanism. I make allowances for it with mine by slightly increasing revs until the drive engages ever so slightly so that it doesn't go 'clunk' from suddenly increasing revs, once the slight slack is taken up you can accelerate at whatever rate of knots you choose. I test rode some shaft driven Honda 750s prior to settling on the Dn and they all seemed to have the 'clunk'. But if you are worried about it still it will cost you nothing to take it your dealer and have them check it out.

let us know how it goes for you.

james

PS: I have just over 20,000k up on mine and the level of that particular noise hasn't worsened. Also remember this is one exceptionally quite machine and noises are quite apparent as a result.

Last edited:

therustyaxe

the first sound sounds like a solenoid clacking in?
the other sound sounds like final drive or tail shaft clunk
have you checked the final drive fluid level?
The fluid looks Ok. I hope that it is just engaging as a couple others have said.:confused:

I have never had a shaft drivin bike before so maybe there is some kind of slack.

I am afraid to let the people at Honda touch it since they admit to never have worked on one.

I have a 300 mile road trip coming up at the beginning of August. I hope she doesn't break down on me. I'll keep everybody updated for sure. The people here in this great forum are the only ones that know anything about our special machines. ;)

Paul

therustyaxe

I'm not hearing that, just one loud pop. Whoever that is has got a problem of another kind. Sounds like a bad bearing in the motor or a damaged valve seat. Maybe even to much carbon build up in the head or possibly a flat spot on a cam.

som2002

HI, I just picked up my used 09 Dino last weekend, it has this same pop that Rusty has when first taking off as shown in his video. Mine has 3,000 miles on the odometer. Did we ever figure out what this is and is it a serious problem that needs to be addressed?

usha

Hi everyone

Seems like I have exactly same "pop" on my DN_01. It started with 4000 km on the odometer and is slowly getting worse. Now the bike has done 6000 km and I get this pop every time I accelerate.

Wondering if someone found the reson for that. As I see from the tech. documents it can one of the three: 1) the final drive gear 2) yoke joint 3)a damper in a side gear - parts 23721-ME9-000 and 23721-ME9-000

Anyway fixing either of the three is a big deal.
I'll monitor it over next month or two and if it continues to get worse will be taking the transmission apart. Hope somene finds a solution before I do that.

Regards