Is this popping noise normal?

mickwa

The poping sound or click you hear is caused by the drive dampener, on the cross shaft,that conncts the engine to the final drive shaft.I know this because my trans was opened up to find the cause. The Honda service rep evaluated the problem and said it did'nt hurt drive ability.Not what I wanted to hear,but I am stuck with his deicision, for now.
Mick

usha

Thanks Mick.

Did you see the process? Is that a pinful job to take it apart?

Seems like it's a pretty complecated side gear assy. The gears' position is adjusted by installing spacers №4 and №6 of various thicknesses, so replacing only damper parts 8, 11 and 12 and puting it all back together could be a hell of a job.

If things get worse the damper will rotate by 180/360/540etc degrees during rapid acceleration and that will make an unbelievable noise.

I'd replace the whole assy in this case, but that costs 700$

mickwa

Thanks Usha, for posting the picture. Parts #8 and #11 are where the noise occurs. My teck that took apart my trans said that it was a pain in the arse to do, and he is one of the best Honda tecks on the west coast of the US.
I think that peloading the spring, with shims,between part11 and the spring would help alot. I don't think the spring is long enough to keep enough presure on part 8,11 to keep them seated properly.
Mick

usha

Mick,

I guess you are right. Putting more force on the spring would do a good job here, but... better to do it before parts 8 & 11 are worn out and have some looseness in between.

Anyway... I don't have anyone around who would do the job well.

It's a bit surprising to see this on a honda transmission, especially with low milage

avion

Picked mine up yesterday. It's the first thing I noticed... the pop. Thanks to this tread I will not worry about it. Just a small strange thing on otherwise unique and fabulous bike. :)