J&M CB Radio Installation

Stove Pipe

Well, I really studied this CB Radio installation thing!!! My wife was missing more and more not being in contact with the other riders in our groups plus she really missed her tunes! I was worried about the JMB-2003 blocking the view thru the rear view mirror or looking out of place, sort of like a monkey on a football if it was mounted on the handlebar. So, I made a sort of radical installation!!! I bought an extra fuel cover door for $19 (where if it didn't work out I would still be able to live at home) and cut it with my ROTO-ZIP so the JMB-2003 would inlay into it on a slight angle with the face toward the riders face. I also removed the trigger PTT from the unit. I glued the unit into place using my hot glue gun from the rear. Totally sealing the back of the radio with the glue, then after the glue setup painted the back black (same color as bike). Then used the passenger (remote) PTT button on the L/H handlebar. I used the J&M 2 ft antenna licence plate mounting type. For the music input, I attached an XM Roady2 on the back side of the L/H handlebar just inboard of the switch/shift button housing using Velcro. I took the handlebar plastic cover off and consealed all the wiring within it. Then I mounted the XM mini antenna atop the front brake resevoir on the R/H handlebar using double stick tape. All wiring harness and extra components are neatly hidden away under the plastic, just forward of the air cleaner box on L/H side. Also, since the unit is on a slight angle the wires that extend from the unit itself run underneath the fuel hatch door and under the center tank cover to the location just forward of the air box. Note: Not much of the radio is below the fuel door, mainly the lower part and the sealed wiring harness that runs from the bottom of the unit. I left just enough slack so the door opens and closes normally.

It took 7 1/2 hours to complete but well worth it and that includes the time I spent JACKING WITH XM to get the radio turned on. WHY can't they get people that speak english??

Took about a 100 mile trip this afternoon after the install and it was sure nice to be able to communicate and my wife sure is enjoying having her music on the DN-01 now!!

Last edited: