Longest ride so far !

zebra03

Recently , I was sent an e-mail from the dealership from where I bought my bike . The e-mail informed me that every Tuesday , the owner organized a ride for customers or anybody else who cared to show up . It also said food would be provided . The dealership is about 80 miles away , but i figured what the heck . It was a beautiful day and I left work early to get there on time .

When I got there , I saw about 30 bikes of all kind . The dealer is strictly Honda , but I saw Suzuki , Harley D , Buell and other bikes as well . Inside the building was the food and it was nothing fancy ( homemade BBQ wings and Pizza ) but it was good and it was filling and FREE .

I asked someone how far the ride was and was told " Oh about 20 miles to the next town over but the owner likes to take the long way around ". The main reason I asked was because I had already driven 80 miles and was down to half a tank .

We start out and it was a really beautiful ride through Amish farm country and the roads were mostlly twisty 2 lane . The town is nestled between two mountain ranges and the roads went up, down and all around .

After 2 hours and 70 miles of really enjoying myself , I start to realize I am getting low on gasoline ! Everyone stops for an ice cream cone and after I wolf mine down , I ask the leader of the ride how much further back to the shop because that is the only way I know how to get back home . He says " 30 minutes or so " . OR SO ? I ask where to get gas ( see Amish farm country ) , and was told a convenience store with gas was a mile ahead and if I went ahead , the group would drive past to get me .

I take off and just around the bend is a fork in the road ! It is dark now . The road to the left is dark , the road to the right is lighted . Off to the right I go and you guessed it , WRONG ROAD ! After taking about 15 minutes to get my self back on course and asking someone where the filling station is , I fill up and try to find my way back to the ice cream store . GONE ! ALL GONE ! Well really the group was not responsible for me and I am a grown-a** man , but jeez . OK

I call the wife and tell her what road I am on and what town I am in and I need directions . Fine . She gives me about 4 selections and I pick one because I have heard of this road before . It turns out to be the longest route of the 4 choices I had ( of course ) . When I finally get home 9 hours since I left home , I had racked up 308 miles ! Verdict ; numb butt, hand cramps and cold , but a great day and better ride . And the DN-01 averaged 55 miles to the gallon to boot and never missed a beat .

Stove Pipe

Enjoyed reading about your ride. Sounds though overall you had a good time and rode some really beautiful countryside?

Not on the DN-01 (yet?) but we have the Garmin on my Goldwing and a small one on my XR-650L. At our home in the piney woods of East Texas it has come in handy more than once on the XR-650L. Come out on some county road that ends at a pipeline junction or more so the other way around. Oh, well that's west over there because the sun is setting; "Let me check the GPS"!!!

Oh, and it's 67 miles to our dealer. Probably a good thing though.....saving mucho $$$$$$.

zebra03

Yes , I did have a good time as it was the first time I got to ride in a group ( at least for a while ) .It seems to create a lot of goodwill for the dealer .

tlyons

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/RAM-EZ-Strap-Mount-Garmin-Double/dp/B0055EQK8M[/ame]
+ any Garmin GPS

Recently , I was sent an e-mail from the dealership from where I bought my bike . The e-mail informed me that every Tuesday , the owner organized a ride for customers or anybody else who cared to show up . It also said food would be provided . The dealership is about 80 miles away , but i figured what the heck . It was a beautiful day and I left work early to get there on time .

When I got there , I saw about 30 bikes of all kind . The dealer is strictly Honda , but I saw Suzuki , Harley D , Buell and other bikes as well . Inside the building was the food and it was nothing fancy ( homemade BBQ wings and Pizza ) but it was good and it was filling and FREE .

I asked someone how far the ride was and was told " Oh about 20 miles to the next town over but the owner likes to take the long way around ". The main reason I asked was because I had already driven 80 miles and was down to half a tank .

We start out and it was a really beautiful ride through Amish farm country and the roads were mostlly twisty 2 lane . The town is nestled between two mountain ranges and the roads went up, down and all around .

After 2 hours and 70 miles of really enjoying myself , I start to realize I am getting low on gasoline ! Everyone stops for an ice cream cone and after I wolf mine down , I ask the leader of the ride how much further back to the shop because that is the only way I know how to get back home . He says " 30 minutes or so " . OR SO ? I ask where to get gas ( see Amish farm country ) , and was told a convenience store with gas was a mile ahead and if I went ahead , the group would drive past to get me .

I take off and just around the bend is a fork in the road ! It is dark now . The road to the left is dark , the road to the right is lighted . Off to the right I go and you guessed it , WRONG ROAD ! After taking about 15 minutes to get my self back on course and asking someone where the filling station is , I fill up and try to find my way back to the ice cream store . GONE ! ALL GONE ! Well really the group was not responsible for me and I am a grown-a** man , but jeez . OK

I call the wife and tell her what road I am on and what town I am in and I need directions . Fine . She gives me about 4 selections and I pick one because I have heard of this road before . It turns out to be the longest route of the 4 choices I had ( of course ) . When I finally get home 9 hours since I left home , I had racked up 308 miles ! Verdict ; numb butt, hand cramps and cold , but a great day and better ride . And the DN-01 averaged 55 miles to the gallon to boot and never missed a beat .

tlyons

Thanks Mr. Obvious , you're a life saver .
Your welcome, Mr Courteous.

Thought you might find A $12 mount that fits well on the DN-01's fat handlebars and lets you easily take your car GPS along for the ride useful. Guess not.

zebra03

Sorry , I was just joking . I keep forgetting that funny and sarcastic looks the same on the screen . Yes , you are right , GPS would have been handy .

Last edited:

Pebbles

That strap mount is a neat product but it's not a permanent solution if you have a heavy GPS like a Garmin Zumo. I think it's better for a lightweight GPS or Iphone/MP3 player.

-Terran Sin

tlyons

That strap mount is a neat product but it's not a permanent solution if you have a heavy GPS like a Garmin Zumo. I think it's better for a lightweight GPS or Iphone/MP3 player.

-Terran Sin
It's actually quite sturdy. The Garmin ball is a bit loose, but thats true of any Garmin mount. I put a sheet of paper over the ball to tighten it up, some folks wrap the ball with a thin rubber band. To really trust it for an expensive phone, I'd buy the diamond mount (same mount with a different attachment point.)

Stove Pipe

It's actually quite sturdy. The Garmin ball is a bit loose, but thats true of any Garmin mount. I put a sheet of paper over the ball to tighten it up, some folks wrap the ball with a thin rubber band. To really trust it for an expensive phone, I'd buy the diamond mount (same mount with a different attachment point.)
Not familiar with the Diamond Mount. Who makes it and how does it compare to the RAM Mount?