Modifications for a Health Condition

rujero

So I am intending to purchase this bike for my father. He has a very rare, progressively worsening nerve disease that makes his hands and feet get tired much faster than a normal person. Over the past 8 years he has lost his ability to feather a clutch, or operate a shifter with precision. This seems as though it may be the only option for him to ride ever again. I've shown him the bike, he sat on one and loved it but has some valid concerns. I know during a test ride he will be fine, but if he is going to ride with any regularity and distance I will need all of your help to determine if I can make this work for him. Safety is the number one priority.

These are the modifications we would need to make. Are they possible?

1. Is it possible to lower the rear brake pedal downward toward the floor board so he wont have to lift his foot/toes so high to get on top of it? If the stock one cannot be moved is there an aftermarket adjustable one? We would essentially need to shorten the pedal's travel but maintain the same effective stopping power.

2. Is it possible to do a similar mod with with front brake so he won't have to reach as far to actuate it without losing the stopping power?

3. I understand this is an ABS system. Is it possible to modify the braking system so that one method of breaking will activate both brakes? The foot brake will be safer for him to use repetitively because his right hand fatigues so easily and that needs to be his primary brake, but when he is stopped on a hill he still needs to have both feet down and a way to apply brakes to prevent rollback.

Thank you all so much in advance for your insights!

r

dndom

The front lever could probably be changed for a 'dog leg' type if the adjustment is inadequate. The rear lever could probably be repositioned on it's spline or cut and welded.

spamer80

Unfortunately the brake pedal can not be adjusted in stock and there is no aftermarket mods as far as I know. But still you can buy the left hand brake madter cylinder from Silverwing etc, it's pretty easy to install.