Occasional squeal from engine?

Easyrider772

Hi when my dino is cold, when I rev it I'm getting a slight squeal from the top of the engine area that seems to persist after throttling off
for about 1 second. Only noticed after Xmas break when I didn't ride it for ~ 2 - 3 weeks. Took out for a long run and the noise went.
Started it up again today after another two weeks in garage and noise was there again, not so bad this time. Seems to get less as engine warms up and you also have to rev harder to get it. Not sure what it is? there aren't any belts in the engine... Any suggestions most welcome! thanks

Pebbles

How many miles on your Dino? This engine has a known problem with the cam chain idler arms. The spring can break and the arm will bounce around. We had it happen to my wife's bike on a long road trip. We made it home after 600 miles without problem. But after changing the oil there were noticeable metal particles. Put it in the shop and had both arms changed, new piston rings, and discovered the stator was on its way out. Her bike had 51,000 miles and the repairs cost $ 2,800. Good news in that her bike now has over 91,000 miles. I would check and make sure the squeal you hear is mechanical vs a possible vacuum leak or bad seal at the air filter- they can make odd noises.

DNSarnia

The spring can break and the arm will bounce around.
I had that happen to mine, four months after warranty was up. I took pictures, and submitted to Honda showing that the new one had been 'heat treated' where the spring attached, but the original one didn't show the heat treating. They covered the full repair.