Rear tire life expectancy

zebra03

I now have 6500 miles on my DN-01 and have come across something most strange . The drivers side of the rear tire is down to the cords . The face of the tire is worn but is still useful . But it looks like I have been doing circle track , left hand turns only . Anybody anything ?

Hanzo

My last back tyre lasted 4500 miles and was way down to wear marks and most of the bikes ive had typical back tyre life has been 4000-5000

Chris

zebra03

Thanks , the tire was just approaching the wear bar . The strange thing was the wear on the side of the tire .

Pebbles

I was disappointed with the tire wear on Sukuta Girl's rear tire too. I replaced it somewhere around 7,000 miles, most of the wear was in the center from too many highway miles and not enough back roads :)

Tire wear patterns are discussed at length on many other boards (along with oil and oil filters) and most people seem to agree that tire wear on the left side is likely from riding on a lot of crown roads. Riders in other countries that ride on the other side of the road sometimes report seeing right side tire wear. And just to show you the wide range of beliefs out there, some people argue it's caused by engine torgue and a heavy hand on the throttle while others say it's just a predisposition by most riders to favor turning left (I believe most riders actually favor right turns).

There is also a small fringe element out there that brings up the side stand and attributes wear to the bike sitting still :eek:

-Terran Sin
Chief Farkle Mechanic and Proselytizer for Sukuta Girl

zebra03

I was disappointed with the tire wear on Sukuta Girl's rear tire too. I replaced it somewhere around 7,000 miles, most of the wear was in the center from too many highway miles and not enough back roads :)

Tire wear patterns are discussed at length on many other boards (along with oil and oil filters) and most people seem to agree that tire wear on the left side is likely from riding on a lot of crown roads. Riders in other countries that ride on the other side of the road sometimes report seeing right side tire wear. And just to show you the wide range of beliefs out there, some people argue it's caused by engine torgue and a heavy hand on the throttle while others say it's just a predisposition by most riders to favor turning left (I believe most riders actually favor right turns).

There is also a small fringe element out there that brings up the side stand and attributes wear to the bike sitting still :eek:

-Terran Sin
Chief Farkle Mechanic and Proselytizer for Sukuta Girl
Thank you . Very interesting stuff indeed .

Y2c

from Australia, I had the same "problem" of the uneven tire wear - and was assured by the shop when replacing, that this is common and a characteristic of riding habits and conditions of cornering/conditions - here it's tighter LHS cornering as we ride on the LHS.

Have now changed to Metzlers as the original Dunlops were surprisingly low mileage.

spamer80

Y2c, what Metzlers you have now? I'm thinking about ME880 Marathon, but they don't have 190/50 rear.

Also, you're talking about strange things here. My previous Bridgestone front tire was changed after 17000 km and become completely slick, and my rear tire was punctured so I changed it too, but if not, it surely should go about 15000 above.

Now I have Dunlops and the same thing here. After 15000 km my front tire is close to the replacement and rear tire still about a half.

IMO, Bridgestone was better on a dirty roads.

Last edited:

Y2c

Y2c, what Metzlers you have now? I'm thinking about ME880 Marathon, but they don't have 190/50 rear.

Also, you're talking about strange things here. My previous Bridgestone front tire was changed after 17000 km and become completely slick, and my rear tire was punctured so I changed it too, but if not, it surely should go about 15000 above.

Now I have Dunlops and the same thing here. After 15000 km my front tire is close to the replacement and rear tire still about a half.

IMO, Bridgestone was better on a dirty roads.
OMG 17000km !!!
I pushed my originals to an unsafe 8000km
The rear Metzeler Roadtec Z8 is 190/75 and seems to be performing OK.
Cost me $300AUD fitted.

dkenney

I got 12000 miles out of my Bridgestone tires. Regarding car tires-- not a good idea. Read the latest article in Rider magazine

Stove Pipe

Zebra

That's like the old mountain goat that has legs on one side shorter than the other? Almost sounds like somethings out of line, doesn't it?

zebra03

Zebra

That's like the old mountain goat that has legs on one side shorter than the other? Almost sounds like somethings out of line, doesn't it?
LOL

The tech at the dealer says alot of it has to do with the roads being crowned so the water runs off .

NCben

I can't get enough miles on a tire to know how long it will last...mine are some sort of nail magnet!

new dn mama

just got new rubber last week[bridgestones-thought the only other choice was dunlop and they,re not making that unusual size front tire anymore]anyway front was way more worn than back,but they say not a good idea to to mix brands,so replaced em both.sun is shinin,52 degrees here in north wa.,so time to get out there an wear off some of that waxy stuff,got my heated gloves,i,m happy,happy rides to y,all