Slightly wider tire? or any tire siggestions?

tlyons

Hello,

In the US (or at least my state) many service people will not mount non-matching tires. The treads need to be the same so the front and back grip in a similar way. The front 130/70 17 is becoming more and more rare and worse few of those will have a matching 190/50 17 rear tire.

Tires I know of that have a OEM size front are Dunlop D220, Bridgestone Exedra Max, and Metzeler ME880. I am having trouble finding a rear in any of those

I am considering put Bridgestone Exedra Max 200/50 17 according to https://tiresize.com/comparison/ it is 0.4" taller and 0.4" wider. That seems like it would change the handling less than the 120/70 17 front some have done.

1. Has anyone done this?
2. Does anyone know of a different tire with an OEM matching front and back?

BobF

There is the Dunlop Roadsmart III which you may be able to get in both correct front and rear sizes - a quick check of UK stockists shows it. Bridgestone BT021 may be available in fronts, but rears are getting rare to find. Both of these are quite pricey, though.

tlyons

There is the Dunlop Roadsmart III which you may be able to get in both correct front and rear sizes - a quick check of UK stockists shows it. Bridgestone BT021 may be available in fronts, but rears are getting rare to find. Both of these are quite pricey, though.
Thanks for the response. I am in the US and not only is the Dunlop Roadsmart pricey so is the shipping. I am reluctant since motorcycles in the US are subject to inspection; I have no way to tell if the tire will be new enough (<8 year old) and that it will have the DOT approval stamp (similar to MOT.)

I am going to try the Exedra and hope it doesn't rub. Worst comes to worst I can get a non-matching rear; my mechanic agreed to let a non-match pass. Surely he will pass it if I buy it from him.

Happy New Year.