Stalling???

wstant777

Bought my DN01 6 weeks ago. It has been in the shop for 4+ of those weeks due to a stalling issue. Is this a common problem and is there a fix for it. The dealer I am taking it too seems to be lost. :(

make sure they have replaced the spark plug caps that go on the spark plugs.
it was a problem on a lot of bikes.
and I think a recall.

Norrie

The plug cap issue should have been a recall but Honda decided to just give an extended warranty. Contact your Honda stealer to see where you stand. If no warranty, it would be cheaper to change the plug caps yourself.

DammmDel

The plug cap issue should have been a recall but Honda decided to just give an extended warranty. Contact your Honda stealer to see where you stand. If no warranty, it would be cheaper to change the plug caps yourself.
I agree Honda should have had this on recall. However some of the blame has to also lay with the dealers who sold the dino has they are all aware of this problem and (could) SHOULD have sorted this before it was sold.. so incompetance all round eh... also any person with a small amount of mechanical knowledge would be able to change the plug caps :)

whitehawk

Has anyone changed them on there own. Is it difficult ?
It's easy to change just the plug caps. Ease the rubber water seal away from the top of the plug then unscrew the plug cap from the lead. The new plug caps come with a new rubber water seal for the top of the plug cap (where it screws into the lead) and also a new water seal/protector for the other end where it pushes onto the spark plug.

Put the new water seal on the lead and slide it up out of the way, then screw the new plug cap onto the end of the lead, slide the water seal back down over the top of the plug cap, put the rubber seal on the other end of the plug cap (if not already in place) and push the plug cap back onto the plug.

Make sure the plug caps go onto the plugs firmly when you push them back on - they are a tight fit.

jfally

I just changed the spark plug caps,went out for a 70 mile ride and all is good. It restarted with no problem. If I could changed them anyone could, real easy.thank you all for your help.

whitehawk

Do you have the part number for what you used?
Thanks.
NGK VD05F is what I have - thanks to info elsewhere on this forum after the (presumed) Honda ones failed.
There is also a Honda part number for the NGK caps in another thread. Do a search for plug caps and you'll find more info and other people's experience.

DNSarnia

Stalled today for the first time.

This after noon, while boasting about the reliability of my bike, I started it, it ran for about 5 seconds then shut down. Lights all remained working, all accessories continued to work (GPS Dash indicators turn signals etc) however the 'Grip warmers' didn't light up with the key turned, and engine off.

After numerous attempt it still wouldn't ignite the engine...but continued showing all other electricals working... It wouldn't even turn over the bike....

Left it sit for only about 5 minutes - with the kickstand down, and emergency stop in 'run position'..... I tried again ... and she fired up normally...

It was very strange. Stopped and started it a number of times since and couldn't replicate the failure. On the dash - during the failure was a simple -(dash) indicator...(no D or N displayed)

Don A.
Sarnia, On.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
This after noon, while boasting about the reliability of my bike, I started it, it ran for about 5 seconds then shut down. Lights all remained working, all accessories continued to work (GPS Dash indicators turn signals etc) however the 'Grip warmers' didn't light up with the key turned, and engine off.

After numerous attempt it still wouldn't ignite the engine...but continued showing all other electricals working... It wouldn't even turn over the bike....

Left it sit for only about 5 minutes - with the kickstand down, and emergency stop in 'run position'..... I tried again ... and she fired up normally...

It was very strange. Stopped and started it a number of times since and couldn't replicate the failure. On the dash - during the failure was a simple -(dash) indicator...(no D or N displayed)

Don A.
Sarnia, On.

Again similar problem .... no D or N displayed BUT no dash indicator "flashing," cause was the N/D switch not working properly. I "believe" was caused by prior "exposure" to rain (riding in the rain) and got moisture into the switch. Have NOT tried to spray electrical cleaner into switch housing BUT have gone to switching N/D switch to Neutral PRIOR to turning off the bike. Since adding this "new" step, I have not had any more problems. Just a thought.

DNSarnia

Thanks Gizmo

That could have been an issue... we've had some torrential rains this week, thanks to the remnants of Patricia hovering around the Great Lakes region.

After I got her running - all seems fine - I'll take your advice, and switch back the Neutral after each ride.

DNSarnia

UPdate

Well, about 1000 km later, and I haven't had the problem resurface. If it was moisture related, it has been a great week with no rain since then...and only sunshine in the forecast. Get out and Ride.... Winter is coming!

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Well, about 1000 km later, and I haven't had the problem resurface. If it was moisture related, it has been a great week with no rain since then...and only sunshine in the forecast. Get out and Ride.... Winter is coming!

Glad to hear, the Dino is too damn "good-looking" to sit on the "sidelines!" We need to "advertise" as much as possible .... make people jealous of what we've got that they CAN'T have!

On a side note, I'm still running my ORIGINAL battery .... keep her on a battery maintainer whenever she's at rest. (Close to 20K miles on the odometer ... I believe that there is some truth about longevity of a battery IF "treated" right!) Just my 2 cents.

DNSarnia

Batteries?

Honestly... just because you don't use a car for a couple of weeks... would you expect to have to keep your car on a maintainer/trickle charger? Of course not.

They are more expensive, but I've switched all 3 of my motorcycles to Lithium Ion batteries by Shoraii.

I've never looked back. The battery stays in the bike all year (winter included) never needs charging. They will wind up the bike on a moments notice despite not being kept on chargers or charging prior to take-off.

Even after winter storage you only need to 'wake it up' by turning on the headlight for about 30 seconds before trying to start the bike. Unlike conventional batteries that would 'drain' if only left with the headlight on...

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Honestly... just because you don't use a car for a couple of weeks... would you expect to have to keep your car on a maintainer/trickle charger? Of course not.

They are more expensive, but I've switched all 3 of my motorcycles to Lithium Ion batteries by Shoraii.

I've never looked back. The battery stays in the bike all year (winter included) never needs charging. They will wind up the bike on a moments notice despite not being kept on chargers or charging prior to take-off.

Even after winter storage you only need to 'wake it up' by turning on the headlight for about 30 seconds before trying to start the bike. Unlike conventional batteries that would 'drain' if only left with the headlight on...

All the above is true, BUT for the price of a Lithium battery I could buy myself a "regular" battery and STILL have money leftover to buy me a charger/maintainer to be used ANYWHERE plus a few OTHER things for the bike. I do find it hard to believe that you can leave the headlight on and NOT "drain" the Lithium though! And I thought there is such a thing as a Lithium charger/maintainer for when the Lithium battery is low or won't start the bike.

DammmDel

I also use an ordinary Battery and had it fitted new when I bought the bike also done the plug caps. Like Dnsarnia I don't use a maintainer, I just start it up every couple a weeks n let it run until the fan kicks in. After 3 years no issues to report on starting. ( I do however only ride in dry weather over here in the uk :D