Stalling???

DNSarnia

My point....

The replacement batteries made for motorcycles are inferior to the originals. Back in 1982 my CX500 had it's original battery last 8 years... my DN-01 was only 1/2 that. WE shouldn't let them get away with the crap. Especially the replacements that last at best 2 seasons. (yes, when I had Lead Acid batteries - I maintained properly and removed them to the basement for the off season - and topped up etc etc... 'babied them!'

I don't believe anybody should have to plug in your bike in the summer time just because you didn't start it up for 2 or 3 weeks.

I am absolutely serious when I tell you I've left my Lithium Ion battery in the bike for 3 years or more (over 4 on my CX500) - even left it in the bike through last winter - never charged it and it continues to perform perfectly.

Saving money? What about the aggravation of heading out to get on the bike only to find that you didn't plug it in the last time ("only a couple weeks") Then what? Sit around for it to top up again... or get out the jumper cables - again!

I was so frustrated - and now...never again. They are worth every penny in my opinion.

DNSarnia

I do find it hard to believe that you can leave the headlight on and NOT "drain" the Lithium though!
check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBfvR1EJJBk

Ok.. I guess I got my dates wrong..it's been two or 3 years that I've been hooked on Li Ion batteries...This video
is what sealed the deal for me. (and I've done exactly as this guy has done, except to 'draw' on the battery, I use my headlight
instead of trying to crank it up cold first)

Last edited:

dndom

Batteries

I'll definitely be looking at a Lithium replacement when necessary as my pedal assist one has been excellent for 6 years and I spend far too much time maintaining lead acids.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBfvR1EJJBk

Ok.. I guess I got my dates wrong..it's been two or 3 years that I've been hooked on Li Ion batteries...This video
is what sealed the deal for me. (and I've done exactly as this guy has done, except to 'draw' on the battery, I use my headlight
instead of trying to crank it up cold first)

The video was very IMPRESSIVE but I did notice that the battery started out @ 13.7 volts vice the normal 12.5 of a lead acid battery. (Definitely a beanie of having an additional volt to crank with, don't get me wrong). In cold weather, the Lithium is the BETTER of the two AND IS more reliable OVERALL. You do need a "special" charger to "maintain" the Lithium, IF you want to. Most of my weather is "Sunny Florida" so cold doesn't play too big a part for me. (Enemy of the lead acid battery).

jayb9822000

HELP!!!!!!

So my wife hasn't rode her bike (dn-01) in about three years due to the fact that my bike has been down this whole time. Now my bike is up and running but now hers won't start. I started her bike about a week let it run for 5 min and it seemed to be doing fine. Yesterday I got my bike ready to ride and guess what? Her bike wouldn't start. I checked the spark plugs and they both were both lack at the tip. So should I replace the spark plugs and both wires? Or should I try and drain the gas out of the fuel system? I've already drained the tank.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
So my wife hasn't rode her bike (dn-01) in about three years due to the fact that my bike has been down this whole time. Now my bike is up and running but now hers won't start. I started her bike about a week let it run for 5 min and it seemed to be doing fine. Yesterday I got my bike ready to ride and guess what? Her bike wouldn't start. I checked the spark plugs and they both were both lack at the tip. So should I replace the spark plugs and both wires? Or should I try and drain the gas out of the fuel system? I've already drained the tank.

I would remove the plugs and see IF you are getting a spark ... remove the plug from the wire and see IF you can get a spark from the plug WIRE. IF the spark is there, replace the plugs and go from there. Another possibility IS BAD gas because the bike sat up so long. I would drain the tank as you did just on general principle. When you decide to add gas to the tank, put in some SeaFoam or something similar to clean out the fuel system. NOT a good idea to let gas sit for THREE years even with a fuel additive!

dndom

Lack of use

I wouldn't trust even top grade modern fuel over six months old. Running unused engines until the fan switches on, at least once a month, has been problem free for many years.