steering head set bearings

I just changed the steering head set bearings for tapered set.
I had tried 2 different tyres and wheel balances to try and get ride of the wobble in the front end and also adjusted the stock head set bearings but still had the wobble.
so I installed the tapered set of bearings and it fixed the problem :D
IT is a pretty big job so unless you have a good knowledge I wouldn't suggest doing it your self.

bhamrider

I've tried everything also and just bought a spanner socket to adjust the preload. How far do you have to go with disassembly? Can you provide the bearing size and number?

you have to take off
rear and front seats
mirrors and side fairings and tank fairing
then you have to drill out the steering lock guard(it has two snap off bolts that have to be drilled out)
then you can take the top triple tree off and hang them to the side(I left handle bars and cables connected)
then you can get to the head set nuts, which has a locking spacer between them with nock out tabs .
now you can jack front of bike off the ground and adjust headset.

to replace bearings you have to take front wheel and forks off.
and then have a press to get old bearings off and new ones on.
if you are still keen when I get back home I will let you know what the bearings and seals # are.

bhamrider

Thanks for the feedback, Looks like major surgery. I've had the front panels removed before so I understand the body tear down. I have a full service manual so I have the tech info. You must have been convinced that the tapered bearings would fix the problem before you went that far. I think you may be right. How many kilometers since the operation?

bhamrider

It looks like I'm going to have to do the same fix. It's cold here and the down time is not so bad. Can you send the bearing and seal numbers? That would be a lot of help. Thanks in advance.

bhamrider

I am way into the project and it is a major teardown. When I get the lower bearing race installed, which is not easy I'll start reassembly. I will try to post pictures. The difference in the bearings is a big upgrade. With a new front tire, new sintered brakes, and fork preload adjusters the Dino should be a new machine. I so hope the wheel wobble is gone.