stuck in d mode. ..... help

ginner1973

Help please my Dino is stuck in d mode it wont go back into neutral even when turned ignition off then on...please help ive checked fuse and solenoid contacts..

waldmeyer

For me all of these things "sometime" work. I've been wrestling with this for a few years. There was a recall for the ECU which was meant to correct this and, if done, they put a red sticker on the rear fender (under the number plate in my case). Mine was so marked but I still have these problems. In most cases I get by by pressing and holding the starter (with the ignition off) and then turning the ignition on.
Honda "gave" me a new ECU but the problem still exists.
I've returned my bike to the dealers but, as the problem is intermittent, they can't find anything although the fault shows on the diagnostic test which they can do. I've also tried messing about with the oil level with no success.
This problem spoils a rather nice bike for me and I sometimes take one of my other bikes rather than mess about getting the DN01 started.
I'd still be interested in any "real" solution.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
For me all of these things "sometime" work. I've been wrestling with this for a few years. There was a recall for the ECU which was meant to correct this and, if done, they put a red sticker on the rear fender (under the number plate in my case). Mine was so marked but I still have these problems. In most cases I get by by pressing and holding the starter (with the ignition off) and then turning the ignition on.
Honda "gave" me a new ECU but the problem still exists.
I've returned my bike to the dealers but, as the problem is intermittent, they can't find anything although the fault shows on the diagnostic test which they can do. I've also tried messing about with the oil level with no success.
This problem spoils a rather nice bike for me and I sometimes take one of my other bikes rather than mess about getting the DN01 started.
I'd still be interested in any "real" solution.
Just maybe the "new" ECU was DEFECTIVE too! I know at times when "replacing" with new parts (right out of the box) that part is bad too! And just maybe, when "they" tested the bike, initially, and found NOTHING wrong, they just put the red sticker on it anyways. Therefore you still have your original ECU installed ... problem never went away!

dndom

If flicking the kill or ignition switches works then it is probably a bad connection or sticky relay in the relevant circuits.

waldmeyer

Thanks Chums!
Honda did send a new ECU and I paid the cost to have it installed. The difference we noted was that, with the "old" ECU the faults did not show up on the Honda diagnostics, whereas it did with the new one. My dealer says they have checked the relays and solenoids.
I've seen this type of fault mentioned quite a lot on the "old" forum.
I'm going to leave it with the dealer in the winter for further checks but am told quite a lot of stripping down is needed.
I wonder if anyone is able to see and understand anything related on a Japanese forum?

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Thanks Chums!
Honda did send a new ECU and I paid the cost to have it installed. The difference we noted was that, with the "old" ECU the faults did not show up on the Honda diagnostics, whereas it did with the new one. My dealer says they have checked the relays and solenoids.
I've seen this type of fault mentioned quite a lot on the "old" forum.
I'm going to leave it with the dealer in the winter for further checks but am told quite a lot of stripping down is needed.
I wonder if anyone is able to see and understand anything related on a Japanese forum?
So does this mean, since it WASN'T the ECU, that they will reimburse you your cost and labor, since I would only imagine, they are the ones who diagnosed the problem to be the ECU to begin with? Or, as I said before, the "new" ECU is bad too. I had a similar problem, the bike would not start and I switched "things" on AND off also. The problem went away ... but my "problem," I believe, was caused by the bike getting "overly" wet by one of Florida's notorious downpours! I sprayed electrical contact cleaner in the ignition switch AND the ON/OFF switch ... haven't seen the problem since. (In my case, I lean more towards the ON/OFF switch because that is what it acted like!) Just throw it out there IF anyone is interested.

lenny

transmission

From what I have read and understand, the ECM only controls the engine management functions.A separate modual the TCM controls HFT transmission functions.

Gallo

Help please my Dino is stuck in d mode it wont go back into neutral even when turned ignition off then on...please help ive checked fuse and solenoid contacts..
today I got smarter!

I had same thing, D is on and does not go to neutral, solenoids checked, all possible electrical wires checked, still nothing.

Guess what!=!=!=!

BATTERY was dead! It had some small amount of power in to be able to give out something...but not enough power to change gears from D to Neutral or any of them.

JOHNVOLT

D GEAR ON AND CANNOT START ENGINE

I own DN 01 Almost a year now...im doing some ''tricks'' i ve learn all this time when the dn stucks on D mode....try one off the following one at a time , cause is not always for the same reason when it does this problem....a) shake the bike a bit for the htf pistons to be in the right place inside b) have press on ingition button when you turn on the key c) take off the battery poles for 15mins D) charge your battery so that the ecu has enough power to make a full check when u turn on the key....when i try one of the above i always have a positive result and i always start the bike...remember always to turn the mode to ''N'' before u turn off the bike

Gizmo

Site Suporter
I own DN 01 Almost a year now...im doing some ''tricks'' i ve learn all this time when the dn stucks on D mode....try one off the following one at a time , cause is not always for the same reason when it does this problem....a) shake the bike a bit for the htf pistons to be in the right place inside b) have press on ingition button when you turn on the key c) take off the battery poles for 15mins D) charge your battery so that the ecu has enough power to make a full check when u turn on the key....when i try one of the above i always have a positive result and i always start the bike...remember always to turn the mode to ''N'' before u turn off the bike

I HIGHLY endorse the habit of switching to 'N' prior to shutting off the bike ... seems to alleviate potential problems!

Gizmo

Site Suporter
I am in the same problem as him but in reverse: I’m stuck in N and can’t get into D at all

Just a few thoughts: check the oil level in the bike or maybe change the oil if it's been a while. Shake the bike to 'free up the oil.' Plus verify that the battery is putting out enough juice to activate the HFT electrical system. The HFT sensor maybe bad.

adamg24

problem "D" ; "N"

I had this!
- I have canceled the alarm-it helped for some time
- the old battery has blocked it
- I replaced it with a new battery
- motorcycle computer reset- 3 errors (servis)

it helped

tounsy

hello I had the same problem as you but sorry if my english is bad, I'm french and I translate my word with internet
impossible for me to leave the D mode
I thought immediately of a problem of sensor and after my researches I changed three pieces the least expensive
here are the 3 pieces:
number 20 :
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/37240-P13-013
number 22
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/38400-MEH-003
number 23
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/38500-MEH-003

since that day I have no problem
I have already done 10,000kms since the change
after I do not say it's THE solution but for me it has solved the problem
very simple to change and not very expensive, just a screw to dismount and shoot on the sensor