The dreaded won't start bar in the display

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Starting to happen a little more frequently . Just what is the fix for this ?

I thought you said: 'We decided to re-up the Honda Rider Gold maintenance agreement' in a another thread. Let Honda figure it out or am I wrong? IF I was paying good money, I'd want to know IF other DN-01s had noted 'problems' from the manufacturer. Besides, explain MORE of what your problem is.

zebra03

Honda Rider Gold maintenance agreement is for maintenance .

I forgot to mention when the key is turned on , the letter D is in the display too . I told Mrs Z to always return the bike to neutral before shutting it off . Now when we go to start it up , it starts every time .

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Honda Rider Gold maintenance agreement is for maintenance .

I forgot to mention when the key is turned on , the letter D is in the display too . I told Mrs Z to always return the bike to neutral before shutting it off . Now when we go to start it up , it starts every time .

That's EXACTLY what I do when I turn off the bike ... make sure I switch it to NEUTRAL. (I think it has something to do with the oil switch in the tranny ... in that over time it starts acting up). I'm glad that you're good to go.

spamer80

Well, I have the same problem still. It sometimes displays D and _ sign and blinks. I`m always going to neutral before switch off the ignition and sometimes the "underlined D" problem appears WHEN I`m trying to switch from D to neutral. I press "N" button, bike "thinks" a little and then D with blinks appears. You can use the engine kill switch or just turn ignition off and on and in most cases it works. But sometimes the D stays after egnition on/off or no D just red oil light stays and - blinks. In this case turn the engine off with kill switch, then hold the engine start button and while holding it turn kill switch on. The green "N" turn on only for about half of a second but this is enough for bike to start. Then you can go D/S etc like always.

I`m worrying that by some reason the N/D clutch, solenoid valve etc may be stuck or worn.
I also think that this, this, this, this, and this threads have ALL the similar roots with N/D.

Or it may be the battery. At this year I have really poor chinese one and this started when I`ve bought it. But I`m not sure why solenoid lock-up uses only battery power if ignition is on and engine is running.

Also, regarding this problem, if the bike is not heated properly and you`ll try re-initialize HFT with a simple tool, you will notice that the bike skips part 4 of initialization procedure. Probably the same issue here, because battery don`t have enough power to make the system perform all checks. Even with engine running.

Last edited:

zebra03

Well, I have the same problem still. It sometimes displays D and _ sign and blinks. I`m always going to neutral before switch off the ignition and sometimes the "underlined D" problem appears WHEN I`m trying to switch from D to neutral. I press "N" button, bike "thinks" a little and then D with blinks appears. You can use the engine kill switch or just turn ignition off and on and in most cases it works. But sometimes the D stays after egnition on/off or no D just red oil light stays and - blinks. In this case turn the engine off with kill switch, then hold the engine start button and while holding it turn kill switch on. The green "N" turn on only for about half of a second but this is enough for bike to start. Then you can go D/S etc like always.

I`m worrying that by some reason the N/D clutch, solenoid valve etc may be stuck or worn.
I also think that this, this, this, this, and this threads have ALL the similar roots with N/D.

Or it may be the battery. At this year I have really poor chinese one and this started when I`ve bought it. But I`m not sure why solenoid lock-up uses only battery power if ignition is on and engine is running.

Also, regarding this problem, if the bike is not heated properly and you`ll try re-initialize HFT with a simple tool, you will notice that the bike skips part 4 of initialization procedure. Probably the same issue here, because battery don`t have enough power to make the system perform all checks. Even with engine running.
You might be right . The battery may not have enough juice .

Gizmo

Site Suporter
You might be right . The battery may not have enough juice .

You do have a point there. I'm still running the 'original' battery that came with the bike ... I put it on a battery tender whenever I'm not riding it. Maybe the battery DOES have something to do with the problem(s) that keeps cropping up! (My bike DID sit for a while before I bought it and I had to jump start it to get it started.)

waldmeyer

Can't find neutral problem

I've had mine for a few years and never found a proper answer. I've had a new controller fitted by a Honda main dealer but noted that, before this, a new controller had been fitted as shown by the red dot behind the number plate. I've cleaned every connection a number of times and SOMETIMES this gets around it for a while. SOMETIMES just charging the battery fully works. SOMETIMES I get started by holding the starter button engaged and then switching on the ignition. My dealer can't fix it and want to try a new battery but I don't think that this is a answer although, again, the problem has temporary gone away when I've disconnected and reconnected the battery.
GOOD LUCK and keep us posted!

Gizmo

Site Suporter
I HAVE found that 'tossing' the bike, side to side, therefore moving the oil in the tranny/engine 'around,' has helped. (I still lean towards the HFT sensor(s) that may be having problems as time goes on) No other bikes out there with the HFT. (And it still could be electrical in nature, power to the sensor(s) in the HFT)

Last edited:

zebra03

You do have a point there. I'm still running the 'original' battery that came with the bike ... I put it on a battery tender whenever I'm not riding it. Maybe the battery DOES have something to do with the problem(s) that keeps cropping up! (My bike DID sit for a while before I bought it and I had to jump start it to get it started.)
Original battery ??!!??

You sir , lead a charmed life !