Upgrade in power

cruising

Has anyone managed to boost the power of the DN-)1 and if so how, was it simple and was it worth it......any help would be greatly appreciated

Gizmo

Site Suporter
I can tell you that removing the Catalytic Converter does NOTHING to improve the power! Pretty much stuck with what you got. The DN-01 wasn't that big a hit so research/improvements wasn't a high priority. (People just didn't care!)

cruising

I can tell you that removing the Catalytic Converter does NOTHING to improve the power! Pretty much stuck with what you got. The DN-01 wasn't that big a hit so research/improvements wasn't a high priority. (People just didn't care!)
thank you for the reply ...I'll leave well alone !!!

Knob

Site Suporter
I did installed Dynojet PCV (model 16-010) on DN. But not for extra power. Actually I think trying to pull out those spare ponies from DN is practically meaningless, the HFT will smooth out the ambition about extra hp.
But - there is a noticable annoying notch in the power curve at speed around 85 kmh/3500 rpm making the bike almost stall (am I only one who have noticed this?). I tested on two DN's and both acted same way. This notch in Honda's original fuel map is arranged for environmental reasons, they measure noise and pollutions at this point, therefore the fuel mixture is set to very lean.
So I decided to straighten out this annoying notch from power curve. And only way I see to do this reasonably is to use Dynojet Power Commander paired with Dynojet Autotune add-on.
The Autotune is closed-loop FI automatic adjuster and it will make fuel map adjustments based on its own O2 sensor in real time, adapting the FI-system specifically to drivers style. Tuning in dynobench will not give such a real-life-driving based results I was searching, the Autotune is needed here. Till now the results are promising, I can share developed fuel map for Dynojet PCV if anybody is interested. The whole process was quite interesting and a bit challenging for me. I'll desribe it closer if somebody may be interested.

dynojet1.jpg

cruising

I did installed Dynojet PCV (model 16-010) on DN. But not for extra power. Actually I think trying to pull out those spare ponies from DN is practically meaningless, the HFT will smooth out the ambition about extra hp.
But - there is a noticable annoying notch in the power curve at speed around 85 kmh/3500 rpm making the bike almost stall (am I only one who have noticed this?). I tested on two DN's and both acted same way. This notch in Honda's original fuel map is arranged for environmental reasons, they measure noise and pollutions at this point, therefore the fuel mixture is set to very lean.
So I decided to straighten out this annoying notch from power curve. And only way I see to do this reasonably is to use Dynojet Power Commander paired with Dynojet Autotune add-on.
The Autotune is closed-loop FI automatic adjuster and it will make fuel map adjustments based on its own O2 sensor in real time, adapting the FI-system specifically to drivers style. Tuning in dynobench will not give such a real-life-driving based results I was searching, the Autotune is needed here. Till now the results are promising, I can share developed fuel map for Dynojet PCV if anybody is interested. The whole process was quite interesting and a bit challenging for me. I'll desribe it closer if somebody may be interested.

View attachment 415
Your comment ''annoying notch' .......I have noticed what I thought to be a blip , miss fire call it what you may ....happening sometimes for a split second and I mean for a split second but still noticeable .....I just put it down to the bike doing its thing. Is this the same 'notch' characteristic that your bike and mine are sharing if so at least hat would explain it.

Knob

Site Suporter
Your comment ''annoying notch' .......I have noticed what I thought to be a blip , miss fire call it what you may ....happening sometimes for a split second and I mean for a split second but still noticeable .....I just put it down to the bike doing its thing. Is this the same 'notch' characteristic that your bike and mine are sharing if so at least hat would explain it.
Obviously it is the same thing I'm talking about. It lasts for a short moment, the engine makes short "sneeze" as the engines usually do when fuel mixture is very lean and then continues to work on. It happens at about 3500 rpm, speedometer reading 85 kmh (52...53 mph) and when throttle is open very little. Not accelerating, but going on flat surface with steady speed.

I was thinking I will not drive very often on these conditions and it will not start to annoy. But it did. There I started to search possibilities to get rid of this phenomena. Obviously it is related to fuel mixture so PC is the way to adjust it away.
But - until there exists the OEM O2-sensor on the bike, installing the PC will not help much, the main ECM will still work by it's own fuel map and getting feedback from O2-sensor and will eliminate PC made corrections. Also the PAIR must leave as it will confuse too the readings of Autotune wideband O2-sensor. When using PC without Autotune it will be decent just to plug the O2-sensors hole and install eliminator plug to wiring. You can see parts needed for this for example here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253618365317
But in this case you have to tune PC's fuel map by your best understanding, not automatically as with Autotune.

And for removing the PAIR I used these ones: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254621096348
Namely for Goldwing GL1800 but fit also for DN.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
It seems to me and everyone I have heard from that owns a DN01 is that whenever you 'slow down' at about 50 mph, you get a 'bump' from the tranny ... as it's shifting from 6th to 5th. Am I wrong here or what? What you seem to be describing is a TOTALLY different animal (from the engine itself).

Knob

Site Suporter
I say the 'bump' is not appearing from tranny, the HFT is working very smoothly on both acceleration and deceleration. If you close fully the throttle on deceleration the 'bump' will not appear, you can hear only some popping sound caused by PAIR valve being opened and letting some fresh air to exhaust and this air is reacting with fuel leftovers in exhaust.
So the 'bump' is related to fuel mixture under certain conditions.

Here is a power curve of DN from dynobench (rear wheel hp). It looks very nice, no notches or bumps to be seen. But it is made on acceleration with full throttle, as the dyno guys usually do while hunting extra horses, not at road driving conditions nor at speed 85kmh/@3500rpm/small throttle steady driving.

The bike had Power Commander installed and they supposedly made some power tuning, but as they left the OEM O2-sensor in system, the result is nothing.

graafik_Mikelis.jpg

Gizmo

Site Suporter
I say the 'bump' is not appearing from tranny, the HFT is working very smoothly on both acceleration and deceleration. If you close fully the throttle on deceleration the 'bump' will not appear, you can hear only some popping sound caused by PAIR valve being opened and letting some fresh air to exhaust and this air is reacting with fuel leftovers in exhaust.
So the 'bump' is related to fuel mixture under certain conditions.

Here is a power curve of DN from dynobench (rear wheel hp). It looks very nice, no notches or bumps to be seen. But it is made on acceleration with full throttle, as the dyno guys usually do while hunting extra horses, not at road driving conditions nor at speed 85kmh/@3500rpm/small throttle steady driving.

The bike had Power Commander installed and they supposedly made some power tuning, but as they left the OEM O2-sensor in system, the result is nothing.

View attachment 416
I would be interested in finding out what Honda has to say about the 'bump!' (What causes it) I ran a 2011 NT700VA for many years with the exact same motor and NEVER had a 'bump!'

Knob

Site Suporter
I would be interested in finding out what Honda has to say about the 'bump!' (What causes it) I ran a 2011 NT700VA for many years with the exact same motor and NEVER had a 'bump!'
Do you have somebody to ask about it? Probably Honda today does not want to know much about the DN project at all... Probably they want to bury and forget it, designers made harakiri times ago... Deciding from spare parts availability already fading away. No more updates coming from Honda for DN that's for sure.

Engines on NT700V and DN-01 may look similar at first glance, as also on XL700V. But looking closer the similarity ends at cranckshaft-piston area. Most obviously these bikes have pretty different ECM's with different software in those.
Even the cranckshaft is in NT and DN engines is turned over for 180 degrees:

cranck.jpg

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Do you have somebody to ask about it? Probably Honda today does not want to know much about the DN project at all... Probably they want to bury and forget it, designers made harakiri times ago... Deciding from spare parts availability already fading away. No more updates coming from Honda for DN that's for sure.

Engines on NT700V and DN-01 may look similar at first glance, as also on XL700V. But looking closer the similarity ends at cranckshaft-piston area. Most obviously these bikes have pretty different ECM's with different software in those.
Even the cranckshaft is in NT and DN engines is turned over for 180 degrees:

View attachment 417
Guess I'll just to give Honda at the home office a call then or maybe in Japan. (You know how meticulous the Japanese are.) And isn't it strange that this 'bump' doesn't occur when you use the manual mode for shifting. (Same engine, right!)

https://www.honda.co.jp/factbook/mo...6P-OdGY67YW_y2GfMZjoRegSTvG5x17tKYCAUvELnFLtw

Last edited: