Wind Screens for DN-01

RonJon

The wind is probably my biggest complaint of the bike as well. I am on the fence between the Givi and the Magical Racing Screen.

The Givi is much cheaper and seems to give the better wind protection. I do like the design of the OEM stock screen. The angle flows well with the bike since it has the sports bike look. However, I am concerned with the GIVI how it will look on the bike. I am unable to find pictures of the GIVI installed besides one stock photo. I'd like to see how it looks from the side. One other concern is that the GIVI will have that hole at the bottom of the screen since it was designed for the European DN-01 that has that additional light. Would that hole cause a lot of wind to pass through?

I LOVE the look of the Magical Racing screen. However, it has a pretty steep price and shipping. It appears to have a higher angle than the OEM screen which may? deflect the wind a little higher off the chest?

I did see a Puig Racing Screen that seems to have good height and angle. Almost like a hybrid of the two other screens. However, I could not find any ordering or price information on it. Also, it did seem to have that hole at the bottom for European models.

Does anyone have experience with these screens or have any pictures they could provide?

RonJon

I agree that the Puig is probably the best choice. It has the height and wind protection the Givi has, but maintain the sleek look that fits with the bike.

The problem is I am having trouble finding a place that has it in stock to buy.

russcarver

I have the Givi. It is not perfectly clear in color. Kind of a light smoke in color. It GREATLY deflects the wind off the chest. I now just get a bobble head effect (minor). My wife (5'2" whereas I'm 5'7") says she feels the wind in the arms more. It has seemed to improve my gas mileage about 2-3 mpg and I definitely don't feel like I'm going to be blown of the bike at more than 55 mph (and at 85 mph for sure!).

I did love the look of the stock windshield too but everyone who sees the bike for the first time still says it looks sexy and looks like the batcycle (I have black). I'll try to post some pictures.

--Russ

russcarver

Here are some pictures. They had to be in my garage only as it is raining right now. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more angles. The forum only let's me upload 5 pics per post.

DSCF3140.jpg

DSCF3141.jpg

DSCF3142.jpg

DSCF3145.jpg

DSCF3147.jpg

--Russ

DN-01 Fanboy

Have any pics from the side? I'd be curious to see one w/rider onboard in order to get a better idea of screen height. I'm 5'5" and would be concerned about the screen interfering with my line of sight. It looks like your view would be quite distorted through the Givi screen. Bump in MPG is definitely a plus. Do you consider putting on hand guards? They might help mitigate some of the new found turbulence around the arms. Or perhaps you could adapt Baker Built Airwings?

http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/index.htm

russcarver

Here are two pics with me on the bike. I'm 5'7" and can see over the screen easily. Wife and I both agree there is a bit of wavy distortion when looking through the screen but we both also agree that we hardly look through the screen much. My wife is 5'2" and says seeing over the screen is no problem for her either. I haven't considered hand guards. I ride all winter in Colorado (as long as no snow, rain or ice) and have been down to 22F in the morning. I use my winter gloves with silk glove liners and keep warm just fine. I personally, though don't feel any of the turbulence on the arms. Those air wings look kinda ugly to me.

DSCF3148.jpg

DSCF3149.jpg

--Russ

RonJon

Thanks for the pics Russ! It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would on the bike. Also, Fanboy brought up a good question about the height. I am about 5'6" and blocking/distorting line of sight would not be an enjoyable. Hence, why I am leaning towards the Puig screen since it is flatter than the Givi.

In my ideal world, I love to get the Magical Racing since it looks very sharp on the bike, but not sure if there would be much wind protection. There is a video blogger, RC62, who posted on YouTube his review of the Magical Racing since he bought his. He can easily see the gauges and the wind hits only his head instead of his chest.

I rode about 70 miles this past weekend trying out a full face helmet for the first time. I found the ride more enjoyable. It was quieter, no wind blowing hard all over the face and ears. Also, I didn't feel like I was about to be blown off my bike past 55mph. This could have due to the weather being less windy. Past few weekends the wind had been blowing 20+ mph.

Thanks again Russ for the pics. I might have to give the Givi much consideration since it is more affordable and easier to buy windscreen. I do wish they were easy to switch out. I saw a quick installation guide for the Puig and looks like yo need to take a lot of parts out. Any difficulty installing your Givi Russ?

Attachments

russcarver

Yeah, with the Givi, the wind is only on your head as well. I always use a full face helmet with a dark smoke tint shield. I have no problems seeing anything. It's rare you're looking at stuff through the Givi windshield (unless stopped behind a car and reading it's license plate). I can also easily see all the gauges and actually hit the trip ODO buttons while riding now too :O

As for the installation, I got my Honda shop to do it for free, but the instructions made it seem very easy. Plus I have a service manual for how to take all the necessary stuff off.

--Russ

RonJon

One more thing I forgot to ask about the Givi. The screen was made for European models which have the marker light, but the US models do not. The Givi does have that hole in the bottom for the light, have you noticed any wind coming from the hole? Or did you somehow cover it up?

russcarver

I do see the hole. I did not cover it up. I don't notice any wind from there but I wear a quite thick/heavy 3-layer cordura/denier jacket. One other thing about the Givi is that it came with a warning to not let direct sunligh hit the inside of the screen for long periods of time or it could warp/bubble. So I have to park facing south when I'm at work all day. For little bits of time here/there I don't think it would matter which way you park.

--Russ

DN-01 Fanboy

Thanks for the pics - really helps to get a better idea of the size of this screen. I agree that esthetics are not the strong suit of the Airwings. That said, the do function quite well. There are videos of how they function - they have lots of flexibility in managing air/adapting to hot or cold. I wish someone would come up with a similar product but with better esthetics.

BTW - Those Givi hardbags look great!

Last edited:

Dale M

Hi, Dale M here, they delivered my red Honda DN-01 this morning and for somebody my age its perfect. Test rode it twice to make sure I like it. its almost the same as the Honda Silverwing I traded except its a motorcycle which is the important part.

Mine came with a Givi windshield but its not big enough. I'm hoping for more wind protection. Not very good at finding stuff. Couldn't find the Magical Racing Screen or the Puig Racing screen so I don't know the demenions of either one. Anyone have a link please!

russcarver

I traded up from a SilverWing too! Unfortunately I don't have any links for the other screens....

Enjoy!

--Russ

Dale M

Wind screens

Hi, Dale M here, first post... my Dn-01 was delivered this morning. With a curb weight of 600 lbs its perfect for an old guy. Will log many miles.

Mine already has a Givi windshield which in my opinion doesn't give you enough wind protection. Can someone give me a link to Magical Racing Screens and Puig Racing Screen! I want to find out if they are any larger than the Givi. Thanks...

DN-01 Fanboy

You might want to look in to the Madstad adjustable bracket & windscreen. Though it’s not as clean looking as the Puig or Givi, I believe it would be much more effective as you can adjust the angle to your liking. The design on the Madstad allows air to pass under the screen eliminating the low pressure zone behind the windscreen that causes much of the buffeting on the helmet. I'm sure you could also find another windscreen from elsewhere, order without holes, then drill to mount to the Madstad bracket.
Madstad DN-01 specific w/20” windscreen
https://system.netsuite.com/core/me...gt6ARsFv3m0&vid=RG3ADgt6ARgFvwuY&cktime=96779

Madstad 22” screen
http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.267/.f

Iv’e also heard that fork mounted shields, like those used on traditional cruisers also help in reducing helmet buffeting.

Example of fork mounted wind deflectors – one of many styles, can be clear plastic that clamps to fork tubes.
http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id89.html

Dale M

Thanks for links, I have a tall windscreen on the trike plus wind deflectors all over it. The Silverwing had a tall Givi so I'd like to set up the dn-01 the same way. Just makes the ride so much more pleasant.

koolone

plastic piece for givi windshield gap

i was trolling some search engines yesterday and saw a site that discussed a black plastic piece to fill the gap at the bottom of the givi windscreen should have saved it but didnt :( if anyone knows were the link is please post up and if i have it again ill link it here. thanxs for the help

Deni-01

Have any pics from the side? I'd be curious to see one w/rider onboard in order to get a better idea of screen height. I'm 5'5" and would be concerned about the screen interfering with my line of sight. It looks like your view would be quite distorted through the Givi screen. Bump in MPG is definitely a plus. Do you consider putting on hand guards? They might help mitigate some of the new found turbulence around the arms. Or perhaps you could adapt Baker Built Airwings?

http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/index.htm
I fitted a screw on deflector I got from Puig it is only small but does the job of keeping the wind off my chest , go to Puig site & typi in DN-01 & follow the prompts to windscreens then click on that icon & you will see the Puig deflector , I got it from a site in the UK as they were the only one's that followed up on my requests , it is around the $100 plus deliverey & it was fitted in 2 minutes with no drilling & when I sell the DN-01 I will remove the deflector as it will fit other bikes .

Last edited:

Deni-01

The wind is probably my biggest complaint of the bike as well. I am on the fence between the Givi and the Magical Racing Screen.

The Givi is much cheaper and seems to give the better wind protection. I do like the design of the OEM stock screen. The angle flows well with the bike since it has the sports bike look. However, I am concerned with the GIVI how it will look on the bike. I am unable to find pictures of the GIVI installed besides one stock photo. I'd like to see how it looks from the side. One other concern is that the GIVI will have that hole at the bottom of the screen since it was designed for the European DN-01 that has that additional light. Would that hole cause a lot of wind to pass through?

I LOVE the look of the Magical Racing screen. However, it has a pretty steep price and shipping. It appears to have a higher angle than the OEM screen which may? deflect the wind a little higher off the chest?

I did see a Puig Racing Screen that seems to have good height and angle. Almost like a hybrid of the two other screens. However, I could not find any ordering or price information on it. Also, it did seem to have that hole at the bottom for European models.

Does anyone have experience with these screens or have any pictures they could provide?
Hi RonJon , Have a look at my reply regarding Puig wind deflector . DENI-01