Any experiance with high mileage?

flybike

I am planning to buy a second hand DN-01 with high mileage in Germany. But my Honda-service-partner warned me, that high repair costs could be around the corner, if the bike exceeded 75.000 km, or around 47.000 miles. Because in Germany only about 150 pieces had been sold as far as I now, no experience with higher mileage is available. And I cannot found any report on the internet about problems after high mileage usage.

Thanks in advance for any tip, and best regards from Germany.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
You do realize that we ARE talking about a HONDA here! Honda are great as high mileage vehicles. Here in the States, you can't find a used vehicle with less than 100,000 miles and they are still going STRONG and dependable!

spamer80

You do realize that we ARE talking about a HONDA here! Honda are great as high mileage vehicles. Here in the States, you can't find a used vehicle with less than 100,000 miles and they are still going STRONG and dependable!
Germany is good but small country (from Russia and US perspective) like any other in EU, so I think the question itself is OK. When I was there I crossed the country in one day without stops.

I'm more in aquariumistics than in motorcycling now so my mileage will be shortened but I believe in Honda tech too.
What COULD POSSIBLY broke in this bike? Engine? It's the succesor of long family of 52 v-twins. Almost ideal polishment.
Gearbox? OK. We don't know almost anything about it except it's hydraulic (which great mileage is proven on most of US oldtimers and Russian military trucks) and it's expensive. Anyway, our community is small but except some recalls of ECU units, noone until current time broke their gearboxes.
In any other things DN is not different from almost 100% of other bikes from any manufacturer.
I don't know why dealer told that to flybike, may be it could be related to the specific bike they're trying to sell. Maybe it was in accident?
flybike,
Can you please describe what your seller means under "high mileage"? It's really depends on country you're living in, as Gizmo told above.
P.S. At this mileage even valve clearance on my bike is still superb without any adjust and engine is perfectly clear. Even my oil after every 5000km from change is still clean as virgin tears.
P.P.S. I've just looked in the Owner's manual and found that 36 000 and (+36000) = 72000 service from dealer could be expensive if you don't want to lose your warranty. Almost all systems of the bike should be checked and spare parts like oil and brake fluid should be replaced. If you want your dealer to do this, it can be expensive.

Last edited:

Gizmo

Site Suporter
The gearbox (hydraulic) that the DN-01 uses is the SAME as the one in Honda's ATV that they have been using for YEARS! My thinking, if it's good enough for OFF-road use, it sure as hell should be good enough for the street!

flybike

72000 km

Can you please describe what your seller means under "high mileage"?
Hi and thanks a lot for long explaining and me calming down my fears facts detailing.

My dealer indeed was speaking about 72000 km as some limit which makes it expensive to maintain the DN-01.
But if there is nothing really to be changed inside the system, I would rather only do the normal maintenance myself or with my better skilled friend.
--------------------------------
Did anybody let the dealer do this maintenance as described above, and what was the price for it?
--------------------------------
Yes indeed, Germany is a small country, especially if you drive on motorway, partly without speed limits. Therefore for longer distances I take my VFR1200F ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUlqWois6eY

flybike

Other countries

By the way: I was also searching in France and Italy, which are bigger markets for Scooter and DN-01 type motorcycles. Also there I could not find any negative trend concerning reliability with increasing mileage.

zebra03

Just passed 16000 miles on my DN-01 and the bike has been solid . Just had the 16000 mile service which is quite extensive . Thanks to the pre-paid maintenance plan , Honda footed the bill .

jdunker

Turned 20,000 miles on my way from Birmingham, AL to Ricketts Glen State Park in PA. The only problem I've had was while I was at the park. The oil indicator sensor located above where you check the oil level came loose and the bike wouldn't start. Once it was tightened, the bike started without issue. I'll put another 1100 to 1200 on my way home over the next several days.

DNSarnia

Yesterday mine clicked over 40,000 km. Not quite 'high' mileage, but I'm impressed with how much I've ridden since buying it new. :)

whitehawk

The only problem I've had was while I was at the park. The oil indicator sensor located above where you check the oil level came loose and the bike wouldn't start. Once it was tightened, the bike started without issue.
What were the symptoms - engine not even turning over? Or turning over but not catching? Any indication on the display of a problem? How did you know to check the oil level sensor?

(Any extra info useful in case it happens to someone else)
Thanks

jdunker

On the dash where the D or S indicator normally displays, a horizontal bar was blinking in a specific sequence. The bike did not turn over at all. If it wasn't for the fact that the dash was lit up, the head light was on and the flashers would work, I would have thought the battery was dead. Because I had no access to the internet where I was, I had to have the bike towed to a shop. It literally only took the guy 3 minutes to determine the sequence of the blinking bar, look it up in the book and then tighten the loose sensor. If I had had access to the internet, I probably could have figured it out.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
On the dash where the D or S indicator normally displays, a horizontal bar was blinking in a specific sequence. The bike did not turn over at all. If it wasn't for the fact that the dash was lit up, the head light was on and the flashers would work, I would have thought the battery was dead. Because I had no access to the internet where I was, I had to have the bike towed to a shop. It literally only took the guy 3 minutes to determine the sequence of the blinking bar, look it up in the book and then tighten the loose sensor. If I had had access to the internet, I probably could have figured it out.

Smart machine!