Checks before purchasing a low KM DN-01

UncleMurphy

Hi guys,

I'm about to purchase a 2008 Honda DN-01 in Black with 1500kms on the odometer. This is in Sydney, Australia by the way :)

Just wondering for a motorcycle that old with little kms, what should I be looking out for when purchasing? It's the only bike so far that is made for shorter people (buying for my dad who is 165cm).

Does anyone know how many keys the motorbike comes with originally and the type of key? Does it have an alarm standard?

Many thanks,

Victor

PS: I haven't purchased the bike but its going for around $6000 aussie, I'm so prepared that I have service manuals already for it!:p

Gizmo

Site Suporter
First thing I would do is check the tires (they are probably the originals). IF the bike has been sitting for quite a while and not ridden, the tires may need to be replaced. Check ALL fluids (especially the gas in the tank) because over time they may/will go bad or leak. I suppose the bike has never been in an accident ... I would still check the "lines" of the bike to see IF everything looks straight and the fit of the panels look smooth/color match. And iF this is you first bike, take someone who knows about bikes and let them check it over. Best of luck with the bike.

UncleMurphy

Hi Gizmo,

Thanks for the reply, would you by ay chance know what tools/manuals and how many keys come with the DN-01 originally?

mdivancic

I just purchased a one with about the same kms this summer. As I purchased mine at a dealer, i was able to get them to perform the 2000kms service (which hadn't been done yet). Something I would recommend if you can. My bike came with two keys.

SARider

I just purchased a one with about the same kms this summer. As I purchased mine at a dealer, i was able to get them to perform the 2000kms service (which hadn't been done yet). Something I would recommend if you can. My bike came with two keys.
Same story for my bike 1925 kms on the clock 2000 service included by the dealer. Came with service book, owners manual and 2 keys.

tlyons

Hi guys,

I'm about to purchase a 2008 Honda DN-01 in Black with 1500kms on the odometer. This is in Sydney, Australia by the way :)

Just wondering for a motorcycle that old with little kms, what should I be looking out for when purchasing? It's the only bike so far that is made for shorter people (buying for my dad who is 165cm).

Does anyone know how many keys the motorbike comes with originally and the type of key? Does it have an alarm standard?

Many thanks,

Victor

PS: I haven't purchased the bike but its going for around $6000 aussie, I'm so prepared that I have service manuals already for it!:p
If the bike has been sitting for a long time, I would consider asking the dealer to drain the gas and replace with fresh. Old gas run through the fuel injection for even a short ride can really gunk it up. Later you can replace all the fluids.

The first service requires the valves to be checked and is pricey. It also changes the oil and HFT filter. I would want that thrown in if its a dealer.
My bike (new from a USA dealer) was 2 keys and no alarm.

UncleMurphy

Hi guys,

The bike is a private seller (female owner) so I'm not sure about the service stuff. I do have a DN-01 service manual in PDF detailing the maintenance for the bike in which I'll do if I purchase the bike. I'm in Australia, Sydney to be exact.

Any final checks before purchasing (shaft not wobbly etc...)? I've also read that the DN-01 is a weird bike in that it suits shorter people better than the tall (most bikes are the opposite). The person riding is roughly 163-5cm tall/large Asian build and it seems using http://cycle-ergo.com/ it seems to be perfect.

Thanks a lot guys,

Victor

tlyons

Hi guys,

The bike is a private seller (female owner) so I'm not sure about the service stuff. I do have a DN-01 service manual in PDF detailing the maintenance for the bike in which I'll do if I purchase the bike. I'm in Australia, Sydney to be exact.

Any final checks before purchasing (shaft not wobbly etc...)? I've also read that the DN-01 is a weird bike in that it suits shorter people better than the tall (most bikes are the opposite). The person riding is roughly 163-5cm tall/large Asian build and it seems using http://cycle-ergo.com/ it seems to be perfect.

Thanks a lot guys,

Victor
There are very few bikes with a lower seat and fewer yet with such a low seat that have a decent suspension travel. Bikes like the Harley Superlow tend to bottom out over even small bumps according to reviews. Better yet, the center of gravity is very low so it is quite stable.

Being able to flat foot the bike is big confidence builder and adds to the safety factor *BUT* it is quite a heavy bike. If the bike starts to go down or is down, it would not be an easy bike for the average 163cm gal to deal with.

UncleMurphy

Hi tlyons,

Would you be able to tell if the bike was part of the affected recalls for the spark plugs & the HFT unit? The VIN is JH2RC55U38K010245

Thanks a lot,

Victor

RIDER-59

Hi there fellow Sydney-sider.

I bought my DN-01 on Feb 23 this year from a dealer in Gosford. It had 653 klms on the clock and came fitted with the Honda backrest and a set of Givi panniers. It also came with two ignition keys, the Owner's Manual and the Tool Kit (these are located under the passenger seat which can be opened using the ignition key in a key hole located on the left hand side of the bike, just below the rider's seat).

When I checked the service book, it had not been officially serviced once but the fact I bought it from a dealer gave me confidence due to the 3 month warranty they had to give.

After purchasing my DN01, I emailed Honda Australia with the VIN number and asked them to check their records for the Feb. 2009 HFT recall (see attached). They sent me confirmation this had been taken care of.
Either before, or immediately after, you want to get your bike to a Honda dealer for its first service. I had everything done to mine for under A$800 at a Sydney Honda dealer near Central Station. They treated me well. You might also want to consider using a professional motorcycle removal company if you want to SHIFT it to a dealer to be checked prior to purchase.

As others have said, the bike is low and it is heavy. It wasn't my first bike, I started on an MP3 in 2009, but it certainly great to ride.

There's a few DN's running around in the Sydney region currently. Maybe we'll see you out and about very soon!

PS: I've your looking for lessons. group or one on one, I know someone in Sydney who can provide these services professionally.

Attachments

Pebbles

As far as shorter people, Pebbles is 155 cm tall and rarely ever has any problems holding it up. She can't reach the front brake pedal and depends on the linked braking. In fact she is only able to rest 3/4 of her foot on the floorboards. I'm going to modify the floorboard position and the rear brake pedal access this winter to correct this. But she's ridden 31,000 year round miles like this already.

She did have one scary incident that revealed a hidden feature- the floorboards also serve as tipover bars at low/no speed. We were in backed up traffic with merging lanes climbing an overpass with a slight bank. She had been doing fine at low speed creep but her rpm's dropped low enough that the transmission disengaged and without foward power the bike slowly began to settle. It caught her by surprise and she was unable to do more than a slow drop and then it stopped at an almost 45 degree angle held up only by the floorboard which had folded on its hinge. A couple of drivers behind her jumped out and helped her pick it up. Turn the key off and back on and it restarted.

Looking at the underside of the floorboard and Givi case later there was only two small, faint scratches on the Givi. I couldn't see anything on the floorboard and believe the scrape bolt was actually supporting the bike under the board. Had this been more than a standing drop probably more damage would have occurred to the Givi case and the bracket.

Her Dino has been running problem free. Did the initial valve adjustment and none needed since. The biggest problem has been getting tires. Make sure to order them early so your dealer will have them on hand when you need them. I also bought a couple of the HFT filters in advance because most dealers won't have them in stock. Point that out to your dealer before servicing so your not waiting on a filter for a simple oil change.

Terran Sin
Chief Farkle Mechanic and forum medium for Pebbles.

UncleMurphy

Hi all,

Just picked up my DN-01 this afternoon (1025km) on the clock when picked up and now has 1059km. Any tips for the guys in Australia where to buy cheap Honda consumables such as the HFT Element Filter & Oil Filters? The bike also is in need of a new battery, what size is it and where can you purchase one cheaply?

It has stayed dormant since 2008 and with the low kms the battery couldn't keep charge after riding it home (had to jumpstart). Also any good places/suggestions on a trickle charger?

Thinking of this battery on eBay;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AGM-YTZ1...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f272de7c9

Hopefully I'll spot another DN-01 owner whilst riding!

Victor

Pebbles

It's a minor PIA to get to the battery. You'll have to remove the rear cowl. I think I remember being really cautious separating the cowl's top wing cover to get to the fasteners. I was afraid of cracking the plastic or breaking a tab. It always helps to work on any plastic on a bike when its warm so you should have that going for you!

Hopefully it doesn't have the GIVI rack and side bags installed which would also have to removed.

Install a battery tender harness while you have it open so your new battery will live for many years.

Good Luck!

Terran Sin for Pebbles

RIDER-59

Hi again.
Congrats on the purchase.
If you did get an Owner's Manual with the bike, either from the owner or under the pillion seat were you found the battery and tool kit, you'll find the info you need about the battery removal on page 145.
If you didn't get the manual, then I can send you a pdf version.