DN-01 The True measure of it's Power

Quasi Moto

How powerful is the 2009 Honda DN-01?
Some say "It's V-Twin 680cc motor is too small, You'll outgrow it quickly".
Does the Motor and Automatic HFT Combo make it more than the sum of it's parts? Any DN-01 riders here weigh over 230Lbs? How does it run with you on it? How does it's power compare to other bike models and enginee CC?
(for example: about the power of a Vulcan 900, More than a Shadow 745, etc).

Thanks for any help you can provide a new rider.

Dale M

I could roll thru the gears and hit 70 very quick with my Vulcan 900 and i can do the same with my 01. its more than satisfactory but not fast. Just a perfect super scooter that looks like a motorcycle. The only thing I haven't liked is the floorboards so far forward. Its a comfortable position but it doesn't give your back any support for long rides so I installed a Utopia backrest. Problem solved. Also have the Givi windshield. Wouldn't mind if they made one a third larger. Maybe some day.

zebra03

I can see where someone would think the bike is lazy but only in automatic mode . If you use the " manual " shift buttons , the bike really wakes up .

Quasi Moto

Just a perfect super scooter that looks like a motorcycle. Also have the Givi windshield. Wouldn't mind if they made one a third larger. Maybe some day.
What makes it a Super Scooter and not a Motorcycle?
MadStad makes a 18", 20", 22", and a 24" Bolt on Windshield that is adjustable.
Looks like a great way to go. Here is the link to thier site:
http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.1412/.f For the DN-01 Model.
http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.1288/.f For the same Windshield but larger.

Last edited:

Dale M

Superscooter is just a figure of speech and I agree the manual mode is faster and a lot of fun. Thanks for the link to that adjustable windshield. Since the OEM shield is useless anyhow, wouldn't bother me to drill it unfortunately mine came with the Givi shield already installed. I'm going to ask the dealer if he still has the other windshield.

Dale M

Looked at the pictures of the windshields with the adjustable brackets (they have good pictures) and I can't see any advantage to buying one. My Givi is 26 inches high and 20 wide. These are a lot less even though they are adjustable. MadStad Engineering has lengths up to 24 inches but I don't think they come with the adjustable brackets and they don't look any wider.

DN-01 Fanboy

The advantage of the Madstad is that it allows air to move beneath the windscreen and thus minimize the back pressure that causes helmet buffeting. The bracket lets you adjust the amount of gap at the bottom of the windscreen. It also lets you adjust the height and angle of the windscreen. Because you bolt the windscreen to the bracket, there's more flexibility in screen choices.

Stove Pipe

DN-01 Power

We feel like it has all the power it needs. It's got all the pep needed while running the twisties.