HFT Oil Cover rubber ring

sinclair48K

All.

I needed to do an oil change so purchased the HFT filter, oil filter and new oil plug washer. All went well until I went to refit the HFT filter cover and its o-ring. Needless to say I managed to bugger up the o-ring so am picking up another from a dealer tomorrow. Has any one done an oil change with the HFT filter that can offer any advice on the exact location of the o-ring on the cover prior to its insertion. I've ordered two in case I bugger another up, but just wondered if anyone had any advice.

Cheers

Mark

mickwa

If I remember correctly I smered a little grease on the cover where the o-ring goes to help hold it in place. Then reattached the cover. Hope this helps you.
Mick

sinclair48K

Thanks, I think the issue is that I don't know how far down the cover the o-ring has to go. Last time i put it right down to the end, but I think it might only go as far as the first lip...Of course I'm going to have to take out all that lovely new oil also, at least it got a flush with new oil !!!!

Norrie

Don't forget to use a torque wrench on the 3 nuts securing the filter as they must be tightened evenly to avoid a leak. I can't remember the torque setting off hand, so check your handbook. There is also a danger of stripping the thread by over tightening.

sinclair48K

Thanks, got it all sorted. Indeed the even tightness is key otherwise it does leak. In the service manual I couldn't find any mention of the torque settings, but its in the user guide, 10nm is the setting for the bolts and indeed once tightened all is fine..Got some more o-rings from the dealer, it just fits against the lip half way down the shaft of the cover, the pressing evenly on the cover should see it located up against the engine. You then need to hold it in whilst trying to get the bolts in which isn't easy as the spring wants to push it out again. For me the trickiest part of the whole process is removing the side lower vowel which means taking of the footboard which itself is fine, but the tricky part is gutting off the cover on the side vowel that covers the footboard bolts, the black plastic cover is really tough to get off without damaging the cowel.