OIL indicator flashing

howard2dot0

Greetings,
I changed oil, oil filter, and tranny filter around 1000 miles myself and when the odometer reached 3310 miles, the digital clock is replaced by the word, "OIL" flashing, but no oil warning lights. I followed the instructions in the manual and triple checked the oil level, then followed more instructions to reset it, but it didn't work. My local dealer says it is simply an oil change reminder indicator and there should be a sequence of steps to take to reset the indicator, which they didn't know.
Anyone have any inputs?

Howard

spamer80

Detecting condition of the oil level
When the ignition switch is turned ON, the TCM confirms that the oil level switch is ON or OFF to detect the engine oil level.
Oil level detection is only performed at the moment when the ignition switch is turned ON and the sidestand is retracted
(sidestand switch is closed). The condition under which the oil level is detected is that the oil temperature i s so •c (120 F)
minimum when the ignition switch is turned OFF and it has been four minutes or more since the ignition switch has been turned OFF and the current oil temperature is 35°C (95°F).
The TCM cannot detect the oil level if the engine is started with the sidestand lowered.
If the motorcycle has been repeatedly ridden for 2,500 km without detecting the oil level, "OIL" will be indicated in the trip meter as a warning to the rider .

howard2dot0

Thank you so much for the info. Then, I just need to start the engine with the kick stand up and run it for 4 minutes for the indicator to disappear, correct?

spamer80

Yes. If not, you should check wiring, TCM, sidestand switch etc. Download Service Manual and look at the page 2-16

jdunker

Has anyone had this problem recently? I was half way home from a 150 mile trip and the clock started flashing OIL. I've tried everything that I've read on these threads and it's still flashing.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Has anyone had this problem recently? I was half way home from a 150 mile trip and the clock started flashing OIL. I've tried everything that I've read on these threads and it's still flashing.
What have you tried?

jdunker

I've checked the oil and it's not low. I ran it yesterday thru the neighborhood to get it warm and then sat in the driveway with it turned off and upright for about 10 minutes. I did not put the side stand down during that time. When I start it back up the oil indicator is still blinking. I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with the side stand switch or it wouldn't allow me to put it into gear.

sinclair48K

Its happened to me a few times because I got into the habit of starting with the side stand down. The few times I've had it, I've switched off the ignition and walked away. When I come back ten minutes later, I get on the bike, bring it upright, kick up the side stand and then, only then do i put the key in the ignition and turn it on, the OIL message then disappears.

DNSarnia

Its happened to me a few times because I got into the habit of starting with the side stand down.
I always start mine with the side-stand down. Very rarely start it with the kickstand up - ready to ride. I've never had the oil like indicated as described here. Very Strange.

jdunker

After I got to work this morning, I went back to the bike after about 15 minutes. I stood it upright, put the kickstand up and then put the key in and started it. OIL continues to blink where the clock is. I followed the same process before leaving work and it's still blinking. I guess I'm going to have to take it to the shop.

DammmDel

I've had the oil light come on twice, both times was because I started the bike when it was on an incline. After checking the levels n usual things i rode it 3 miles to my local Honda dealer, After speaking to them they assured me it was because of the incline and the oil level at that time, when I got back on and started it (with the stand down) the oil light went out and stayed out. If your oil light is staying on then it has to point to a sensor or something similar as you have done all other checks. Sometimes it has to be maindealer even if its just to reset stuff.. Let us know buddy

dndom

Had a sticking oil level switch cause fault code 14, if my memory's correct, couple of years ago. It cured itself.

bhamrider

I have had this happen twice. It was caused by parking on an incline. I parked on a flat surface and disconnected the battery to reset the ECM.
That fixed the problem.

jdunker

Well, I came to work today with the intention of taking the bike to the shop later in the day. I tried one more time this morning to stand the bike upright and start it after it sat for a few minutes. Surprise, it's no longer blinking OIL. :D

Thanks for all of the responses.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Well, I came to work today with the intention of taking the bike to the shop later in the day. I tried one more time this morning to stand the bike upright and start it after it sat for a few minutes. Surprise, it's no longer blinking OIL. :D

Thanks for all of the responses.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Had the 24K mile maintenance check/work performed by a Honda dealership @ 21,500 miles because NO service had ever been done on the bike even before I bought the bike @ 8000 miles, I believe. Yesterday, 1000 miles after Honda's maintenance, 2 hours into a 4 hour ride, my Dino clock started flashing "OIL" after a quick rest stop. I ALWAYS start my bike upright, side stand up. I checked the oil level ... higher than normal (above the topmost mark). I had noticed this prior after getting the bike back from the Honda shop whenever I had checked the level. Broke out the Owner's Manual, followed the "reset" procedure ... would not reset back to the clock. I then drained the oil and refilled to the proper level using the bike's "dipstick" as an indicator. The result was ALMOST 15 ounces of EXTRA oil left over (just about a pint of oil)! Someone had OVERFILLED the bike @ the Honda dealership. I also removed the positive lead on the battery ... just because it might have been an indicator glitch. Re-attached the lead and started the bike .... "OIL" flashing still! I took the bike on a short 3 mile ride, stopped, turned off the bike and then came back about 5 minutes later ... clock NOW works! I don't know IF it was the excess oil or resetting the computer that FIXED the problem! I sure as hell didn't want to have to buy a new oil level sensor OR take it to the shop ... that cost MONEY!!

DNSarnia

Thanks Spamer80. I was out on a ride two weeks ago, It was while rounding a long curve, that my clock turned to "OIL". I noticed it right away. Having never read this particular post, it was new to me, and right away figured that it was either very low, or that going around the corner, the sensor had mis-diagnosed the low-level condition. After pulling into a gas station, and physically confirming that all was well and good with my oil, I pulled out my 'dumb phone', and I googled 4 words: Honda DN-01 OIL Display. Up popped this thread, I stood my bike upright, kicked up the kickstand, and never looked back - thanks for that. My heart stopped pounding loudly.

Detecting condition of the oil level
When the ignition switch is turned ON, the TCM confirms that the oil level switch is ON or OFF to detect the engine oil level.
Oil level detection is only performed at the moment when the ignition switch is turned ON and the sidestand is retracted
(sidestand switch is closed). The condition under which the oil level is detected is that the oil temperature i s so •c (120 F)
minimum when the ignition switch is turned OFF and it has been four minutes or more since the ignition switch has been turned OFF and the current oil temperature is 35°C (95°F).
The TCM cannot detect the oil level if the engine is started with the sidestand lowered.
If the motorcycle has been repeatedly ridden for 2,500 km without detecting the oil level, "OIL" will be indicated in the trip meter as a warning to the rider .