Rear tire, to Patch or Replace??

NCben

My bike has about 3800 miles on it. First tire got a nail in it at about 3300, so I replaced it. 500 miles later...I have a nail in my brand new Michelin tire. The nail is in the very center of the tire.

Would you patch or replace??

Norrie

Your tire fitter should be able to fit a "mushroom plug" which is pushed out from the inside of the tire and is deemed to be a safe repair as long as the nail is not on the side wall of the tire. HTH

bhamrider

You should use the "mushroom plug". I have friends that have used them on high performance bikes and pushed them up to 120 MPH. I don't recomend crazy riding but if I were me, I'd try to get some more miles. You can plug it, use Dynabeads and it should go for a while.

nyparrothead

I know everyone has a story of a friend that pluged a tire and ran it 10k with no problems.

The facts are that when you plug a mc tire, it looses integrity more so than a car tire because of the forces it must contend with in nothing more than normal operating conditions.

I know tires are a little pricey but you have to ask yourself what is your or your wife's life worth? I value ours more than 100.00

Sure you can plug it and yes you may get 10 k out of it but is that a bet you are willing to make while taking a fast corner on a hot day fully loaded....

Mark

Vtdn01

Plugs

Plugs are really just so you can get home or a to a place where you can get the tire replaced a new tire is a lot less expensive than a funeral or a hospital stay,also why would you want to ride on a tire that you have no confidence in.