Strange Noise?

mark

Just picked up my 2009 DN-01

I'm hearing a whining noise, especially loud at 80 km/hr (48mph). It's engine/transmission related because when I back off the throttle the noise disappears (not bearings, brakes). When I'm accelerating through 80 km/hr I don't hear it, it's there only at steady throttle. Also the whine progressively lessens (up or down from 80 km/hr) the further away from 80 km/hr I go. Strange.

Anyone heard this before?. Somehow this is sounding expensive. Perhaps I've found out why the guy was selling the bike.

Thanks

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Just picked up my 2009 DN-01

I'm hearing a whining noise, especially loud at 80 km/hr (48mph). It's engine/transmission related because when I back off the throttle the noise disappears (not bearings, brakes). When I'm accelerating through 80 km/hr I don't hear it, it's there only at steady throttle. Also the whine progressively lessens (up or down from 80 km/hr) the further away from 80 km/hr I go. Strange.

Anyone heard this before?. Somehow this is sounding expensive. Perhaps I've found out why the guy was selling the bike.

Thanks

At about 50 mph, there IS a distinct "sound" that the bike makes because it's "shifting" into 6th gear. Mine does that (all DN-01's do it) .... I believe that you will find it to be perfectly NORMAL!

DNSarnia

More of a thud ...than a whine....

I brought this up a few years back that as the bike accelerates under power through the 'gears' to top speed, it gets to a point that it locks up the transmission to, for lack of a better description, 'Direct Drive'.

When my bike does it on slow acceleration, In automatic mode, it's a definitive 'thud' as it acquires top gear. I don't hear any whining. If I remain at about 80 km/h (50m/h) the bike will kick into and out of that top gear. As mentioned however, it's more of a thud.

If you use your 'manual' mode, and the bike gets up to 6th gear, each of the gear changes 'locks' into the ratio. If you leave it in 6th, and cruise in the 80 km/h zone - you don't hear any thuds or changes.

So... the question remains .... What is making the "Whining" noise?

Last edited:

mark

Thanks for the reply guys.

The noise is a continuous noise, more of a higher pitch whine but only on constant throttle. I can start to hear it at around 65 km/hr (40 mph) and it gets louder as I get closer to 80 km/hr (48 mph). So it's not the o/d kicking in.

The thing is at these speeds the throttle at steady state is just barely being off throttle, so it takes very little to get back on the throttle.

When I let off the throttle the whine instantly stops, then with a small roll of the throttle it instantly back again. So I don't think it's the final drive. But I'll check it anyways.

If a tree falls and no one is there to hear it, did the tree really fall and make a noise?. Now I'm thinking if i don't take the bike to the dealership and nobody diagnosis it, is there really a problem with the bike?

Then again, maybe it's time to take it to Honda....ouch !

Thanks again
Mark

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Thanks for the reply guys.

The noise is a continuous noise, more of a higher pitch whine but only on constant throttle. I can start to hear it at around 65 km/hr (40 mph) and it gets louder as I get closer to 80 km/hr (48 mph). So it's not the o/d kicking in.

The thing is at these speeds the throttle at steady state is just barely being off throttle, so it takes very little to get back on the throttle.

When I let off the throttle the whine instantly stops, then with a small roll of the throttle it instantly back again. So I don't think it's the final drive. But I'll check it anyways.

If a tree falls and no one is there to hear it, did the tree really fall and make a noise?. Now I'm thinking if i don't take the bike to the dealership and nobody diagnosis it, is there really a problem with the bike?

Then again, maybe it's time to take it to Honda....ouch !

Thanks again
Mark

Just for your peace-of-mind, take the bike to Honda to be checked out. That way IF you took itto them and they say it NOTHING, you can hold them accountable! SORRY!!!