Taking a break from doing Brakes

DNSarnia

I've just 'winterized my DN-01 which included lifting it off the ground in preparation of new tires. 45,000 km on the bike.

I just got the tires removed, and the old ones are well worn.

However, upon inspection of the brakes, I'd hazard a guess that my rear brakes are less than 50% worn, and as such, I'm thinking something to look at either next winter or the following.

The front however are truly worn to next to 90% or more. The question I have is Original Equipment at $40 per set (x2) or go with 'lesser' brands, which I've seen as low as $15/full set.

What's the consensus on using after market for brakes. Does it make a difference, knowing they are on our ABS bikes?

Don in Sarnia

Last edited:

spamer80

I have now Brembo installed. But actually, I don't remember already when I installed it. Probably the same as yours. Well, for my relaxed riding style it looks completely the same. Maybe I'll buy something cheaper next time.

bhamrider

I replaced mine with EBC pads. They are better than the OEM Honda pads and cost less. There are two motorcycle shops near the Barbers Motorsports track that only use there bakes. I was sold. Do not go with the organic pads, they work but ware out fast.

DNSarnia

EBC or OEM... there is a difference

Just an FYI for anybody else doing front brakes.

When ordering brake pads, if you select aftermarket EBC and the like, you need only one product...but 2 sets they will be identical.

If you go with OEM they are two different part numbers - Mirror images of each other as follows:

06456-MEH-006 Left
06455-MEH-006 Right

I'll try to post a picture that shows how they differ left and right within one set...and of course opposite on the other side.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AIWOQQQuQsWWLSM&v=3&ithint=photo,jpg

Last edited:

DNSarnia

Coincidentally....

In today's post, I recieved my new OEM Brake pads - an early Christmas present from a buddy that works at Honda Dealership. Thanks Harris!

ON inspection, the pads came as a 'kit' Each kit came with two pads, and a sheet metal clip-on anti-vibration (AV) thing.

The only difference between the two packages is that AV thing. It is a mirror image, and only fits onto one of the pads - opposite for each package.

The pads themselves look 'copper plated' one side entirely, the other looks less covered, and it that one is the one the AV thing clips onto.

spamer80

I must to say that in US, EU and AU the OEM brake pads are also from different manufacturers. In EU etc. it`s Nissin. Will add photos later.