Your opinions

Steevk

Im new here to this Forum I joined today just to get the opinions of you guys that have owned and ridden the DN01 over a timeframe that a test ride or even a month or two of ownership couldn't possibly relate.

What have you loved/liked about the bike the most? What have you disliked or hated about the bike the most?

What has been the most common maintenance you've encountered? What is easy to do and what is a pain in the neck?

Windshields seem to be a missing item on this bike, as well as any extra storage. I have seen pix of Dn01's with a top case and even side luggage.

My current ride is a Yamaha Majesty 400 with a Factory Top Case that can store my helmet just fine, and another under the seat. Any actual storage space on the DN01?

My disability prevents me from shifting any longer, as my feet no longer work the way they should so Im looking at anything that is automatic shifting. I prefer to buy something made this way already and not convert a bike that is normal foot shifting. the Maxi scooters are obvious choices, but I want more options.
Honda is the best bet as they have the DN01, the CTX700's with the DCT options and even the new Vultus or NM4.

Yamaha also has a FJR 1300 sport touring bike with automatically shifting The FJR 1300ae was made just one year tho I believe. I really like the looks of the DN01 and CTX700 as they look like cousins. Plus I'm already used to the feet forward riding from my Scooter and it is comfortable for me.

Thank you for all of your input and feedback.

som2002

I have both the CTX and the DN-01 in the garage right now. No storage at all on either bike, unless you add hard bags. The CTX can be ordered with Honda hard side bags, but they will not fit a full face helmet at all. The DN-01 I have has all 3 hard bags(side and top) available aftermarket from Givi. They will fit a full face helmet. Before these bikes we had a Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter and Honda Silverwing scooter. The scooters had alot more room, and more convenient room being under the seat with no big bags hanging off of the bikes. Plus if your feet do not work well, you'd still need to use the foot brake on both these bikes compared to the scooter which has hand brakes on both grips.

Last edited:

Gurock

I've ridden most of the bikes that do not require the manual operation of a clutch. I currently have a 2009 Yamaha TMAX, 2007 Yamaha FJR AE, and just bought a DN-01. In the past I've had a BMW C650, 2004 Honda Silverwing, 2006 Suzuki Burgman 650, 2009 Suzuki Burgman 650 and a Paggio BV 250. I've also ridden many 125 and 150cc scooter.

IMHO, the DN-01 is the least practical of all the bikes I've owned. It has zero storage, is hard to put a luggage rack on, has fiberglass over the gas tank so you can't use a tank bag. It's also not the fastest, not the most maneuverable through With all that said why did I buy it? It's one of the most beautiful and coolest looking bikes ever made in my opinion. Also while not the fastest it's not a dead dog and it's easy to handle everything about it.

Of the others I can tell you my thoughts. In many ways the Burgman 650 is a great bike. It's fast enough and it can do hills and turns quite well. It has more storage then any bike I've ridden. It's downfalls are that it's extremely complex and expensive to pay for repairs. It has design defects that make them break in ways that are hyper difficult or expensive to repair. Worst of all perhaps is that Suzuki is a scumbag company that doesn't stand behind it's warranty or recall known defects. I'll never give Suzuki money again!

The Honda Silverwing 600 was a fine bike that I rode for 30,000 miles with only maintenance. It has basically as much storage as the Burgman 650. It's downfalls are that it has small wheels that make it hard to be good in the hills and turns as well as making me less confident in maneuvers. It's Honda rock solid reliable and if you're vertically challenge the low seat height is good.

The 2009 Yamaha TMAX rides the best of all these maxi-scooters. It really is a sport scooter. It has less under seat storage then the Silverwing or Burgman 650 but still workable. It will do turns in a way that can compete with sport bikes and it can be improved a little with Dr. Pulley sliders. It's tallest a problem for the vertically challenged. It's worst side for me is that it's slightly under powered. Mine is done in the mid 90s MPH and it accelerates fairly poorly over 80 MPH. I do a lot of cross country and on rural expressways this creates a little challenge.

The BMW C 650 GT is a fine bike. It is a traditional CVT with a chain in an oil bath instead of a belt. It has every option you can think of like heated grips and seat, TPMS, and basically every computer thing you can imagine other then GPS as part of the dash. It's very tall for the vertically challenged, but can do hills and turns quite well. It also has a little more horsepower then the other Maxi-Scooters 60 BHP. The seat is somewhat uncomfortable at long distance and the maintenance schedule is high. All in all a fine bike for those with a 32" inseam or longer.

The 2007 Yamaha FJR AE is a wonderful bike. BTW they (Yamaha) made AE or AS electronically operated clutch bike for the USA in 2006 through 2009 and that they still make them for sale in Europe. It's identical to the manual FJR except there is no clutch lever as the YCCS computer operates the clutch for you when you change gears and that it has a hand operated paddle shifter as well as the normal foot peg. It's a 630 lbs five speed with an in-line 4 1300 that produces more power then you can ever use. It can accelerate from 65 MPH to 130 MPH in about 3 seconds with a top speed of near 150 MPH. It's very highway worthy and can do hills and turns better then I have the balls to do them. It comes from the factory with hard side cases that each fit a full face helmet and can easily take a Givi E 55 topcase or luggage rack, also you can have a big magnetic tank bag. As stock it's a little too sport bike in some ways. Namely that the bars are too down and forward making you have to lean too much of your weight on your arms (fix with Heli bridge bar riser). The seat sucks but there are numerous after market seats that help this go away (I have a Russel Day Long). Also the foot pegs are slightly back. A custom seat and risers help the foot peg problem by making me sit a little more upright and you can add highway pegs for another foot position. Since you don't need to use the foot shifter you can put on highway pegs and ride with your feet on them all the time. You just need to use your right heel instead of your right toes for the rear brake. The FJR is the choice of bikes for the Ironbutt Association for their most insane endurance rides so you know it is extremely durable. It's just not as pretty and easy as the shorter and lighter bikes like DN-01

If I could only have one of these bikes it would be the FJR 1300 AE. If you are a true motorcyclist with bad legs you should look at an 06-09 FJR AE. I've had five of them in the last eight years. A long story but I liked each and every one. Also Yamaha really stands behind their product. My first FJR AE was an 06 that I bought in 2010 with 9,000 miles on it. When it had 35,000 miles a year after I bought it the bike broke down with the electrical system going crazy. I brought it to the Yamaha dealer who ripped out and replaced the main electrical harness along with checking and repairing other wiring at no cost to me. They said that Yamaha was taking responsibility for all electrical and harness problems in 06-09 FJRs for life due to the electrical recall they had.

Compare that to my 09 Burgman 650 where the stopper bolt broke at 10 months old with 28,000 miles and the Suzuki dealer literally disassembled the bike into a frame with bushel baskets of parts after a month and then called to tell me that Suzuki was refusing to pay to repair my bike. they said that even tough it was still in warranty that anyone who rode it 28,000 miles in ten months must have abused the machine. I liked the way that the Burgman rode well enough that I was fooled into buying a used 2006 with 3,000 miles on it in 2012. Two years later the main electrical harness burnt out and the repair was more expensive then the value of the bike. I ended up selling it to a DIY guy for a thousand dollars as is. BTW the BMW C-650 was rear ended and wrecked while waiting stopped for traffic and the Silverwing is still alive and well with the owner I sold it to, as are a couple ofFJRs.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
DN-01 is a beautiful bike and VERY reliable BUT expensive to own. Pretty much EVERYTHING is beneath 'the plastic' and costly in labor costs to get to and have to reassemble. Mileage is about 50 mpg. The majority of it's weight is down low (tranny), once it starts to 'fall over,' it's pretty hard to stop! I have one because of it's uniqueness (only brought here to The States in 2009) and it IS cool and fun to ride. (Not very useful to carry ANYTHING though without added bags or trunk).

Gurock

I can understand why you say that maintenance is expensive on the DN-01 when you compare it to the R3 or more naked motorcycles. On the other hand the DN-01 is no different in all it's plastics then the Maxi-Scooters.

Also if you think that the DN-01 can fall easily at what I call the tipping point try riding a tall top heavy bike like the FJR, C-14, St 1300, R1200 series of BMW especially the R 1200 GS. Some guy wrote a note on the FJR owners site saying "I dropped my bike and the worst injury was to my pride." After that about thirty more posts were added of all these other members telling similar stories. My FJR is going down on it's side when I'm standing still and let it accidentally lien it more then about ten degrees to the side. Between the top heavy aspect and the extra 130 lbs the FJR is a pig to drop compared to the DN-01.

spitfire_pt

My opinion

Pros:
super kool looking bike
low maintenance (for my only regular so far, no main issues)
low center gravity
very comfortable

Cons:
low tank capacity
Zero storage
Zero wind protection

It´s a either you love it or you dont. i love it because in my country there are only around 30 of then, so i dont come across with similar ppl riding the same bike everyday.

i like being unique kkkk

Gizmo

Site Suporter
I can understand why you say that maintenance is expensive on the DN-01 when you compare it to the R3 or more naked motorcycles. On the other hand the DN-01 is no different in all it's plastics then the Maxi-Scooters.

Also if you think that the DN-01 can fall easily at what I call the tipping point try riding a tall top heavy bike like the FJR, C-14, St 1300, R1200 series of BMW especially the R 1200 GS. Some guy wrote a note on the FJR owners site saying "I dropped my bike and the worst injury was to my pride." After that about thirty more posts were added of all these other members telling similar stories. My FJR is going down on it's side when I'm standing still and let it accidentally lien it more then about ten degrees to the side. Between the top heavy aspect and the extra 130 lbs the FJR is a pig to drop compared to the DN-01.

And this why I NEVER considered the ST1300, FJR or Connie for sport touring ... top heaviness. My NT700 is similar but lighter, not as fast, just as maneuverable if not more so as the BIGGER sport tourers but gives me A LOT better mpg (60+). I was just taking into consideration Steevk's limitations when considering his foot problem and the cost of Dino ownership. Most of the sport tour bikes were DESIGNED to incorporate features to lessen the effects of tip-over also ... they KNEW about the heaviness.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
My opinion

Pros:
super kool looking bike
low maintenance (for my only regular so far, no main issues)
low center gravity
very comfortable

Cons:
low tank capacity
Zero storage
Zero wind protection

It´s a either you love it or you dont. i love it because in my country there are only around 30 of then, so i dont come across with similar ppl riding the same bike everyday.

i like being unique kkkk

I agree with you 100%

Steevk

Seems like my last reply got lost here, I came on today to review it and its nowhere to be found?

I can't really remember every word I wrote previously so I"ll just make this one short just in case it disappears also.

I appreciate everyone's input on the DN01. I really think it has great looks, and the pictures of the riders I've seen make it look intriguing enough for me to want to at least go test ride it. There is a somewhat local dealer with one here (100 Miles away) with 1500 miles on it, and that's the main reason I asked for feedback. I'm going to try to get over there this weekend (for me - Sun or Mon).

With so low mileage on the bike do you think I need to be cautious of anything in particular? I wonder often about why someone purchases a vehicle of any kind and then never or rarely uses it. I know these guys were a bit expensive when they were first released. makes me think something didn't work right

If I do end up owning a DN01, or even a CTX700 I would most likely convert the foot brake to the left hand lever on the Handlebar. I don't really see where that would be a major ordeal at all and have seen a DN01 online that was modded that way. A top case would probably be another add on I'd go for. Great job on all the Mods Spitfire! That's great to see what does work before doing the same.

Thanks again guys for all of your comments and feedback.

spitfire_pt

Seems like my last reply got lost here, I came on today to review it and its nowhere to be found?

I can't really remember every word I wrote previously so I"ll just make this one short just in case it disappears also.

I appreciate everyone's input on the DN01. I really think it has great looks, and the pictures of the riders I've seen make it look intriguing enough for me to want to at least go test ride it. There is a somewhat local dealer with one here (100 Miles away) with 1500 miles on it, and that's the main reason I asked for feedback. I'm going to try to get over there this weekend (for me - Sun or Mon).

With so low mileage on the bike do you think I need to be cautious of anything in particular? I wonder often about why someone purchases a vehicle of any kind and then never or rarely uses it. I know these guys were a bit expensive when they were first released. makes me think something didn't work right

If I do end up owning a DN01, or even a CTX700 I would most likely convert the foot brake to the left hand lever on the Handlebar. I don't really see where that would be a major ordeal at all and have seen a DN01 online that was modded that way. A top case would probably be another add on I'd go for. Great job on all the Mods Spitfire! That's great to see what does work before doing the same.

Thanks again guys for all of your comments and feedback.

yes they where expensive, thats the main reason for comercial failure of this model.

Low milage is normal in this bikes, 90% uses them for cruising around, for me its 100% all around bike ( dear a need sugar, ok no problem, dear i need ride to shopping, ok no problem, etc...) my DN-01 hates being in the garage :)

Beside my Black Widow i NEVER saw another DN-01 on my rides, just ocassionally on Honda Dealerships.

I like mods on my DN-01, so i am always findind out more stuff to do.

Later ill post my lastest upgrade.

Its a super nice and confortable bike, as long as your do the foot brake change and buy a top case at least 46L you are fine

Tomorrow electrician to see why my LEDs stoped working :(

I need this to the exbitions coming soon.

best of luck