ABS light started blinking

DNSarnia

During tonight's tour we did about 10km on a dirt road. All seemed fine until the ride home on the highway. With no indication of any problems, the ABS light started blinking.

I pulled over a few km's later, to gas up, and when I restarted the bike all things were back to normal.

My understanding is that if a light is 'on' it cautionary, if the light is blinking - it requires immediate attention.

Has anybody else experienced the ABS indicator blinking? Do you have any further insight?

Thanks to all.

DammmDel

hi my abs light stays on when started but goes out as soon as i accelerate away. it doesnt come back on until i restart the bike. i'm having the brakes done this week so will see if it stays out.

som2002

hi my abs light stays on when started but goes out as soon as i accelerate away. it doesnt come back on until i restart the bike. i'm having the brakes done this week so will see if it stays out.
It is supposed to light up when started and still idling, and disappear as soon as you start riding. That is the way my Father's brand new Harley is as well.

DammmDel

thanks for that. i know once started it used to go out but now it doesnt wierd but heyho cheers :)

Pebbles

The magnetic ABS sensor can fail if metallic debris gets into part of the pulser ring. Plain old gravel road dust shouldn't affect it, but maybe something with a high enough metal content passed through. Or maybe you had just enough minor slippage on the gravel while braking that it triggered an ABS reaction.

It's probably nothing to worry about if it reset after a restart. There's plenty of articles on ABS on the internet to get a good idea of how it works and could possibly fail.

Terran Sin, on behalf of Pebbles