DN-01 & JMB2003 CB Radio

Stove Pipe

Has anyone installed the JMB2003 CB Radio onto their DN-01? If so any details how you mounted it to handlebar? Antenna Mount ?

Pebbles

DN-01 & JMCB2003 Radio

Hi Jim,

Let me know if you get any private responses as I'm about to do the same thing plus a Garmin Zumo GPS install.

I'm also adding the Givi tail rack and that's where I'm going to mount the antenna. Motorcycle Larry sells a neat looking mounting bracket that I have on my ST1300. The only bummer is the bracket extensions (used if you're using a wide Givi trunk) are out of stock. I'm going to use two main brackets for now, slightly more expensive but I can always retrofit in the future.

I've been test fitting the CB unit and the U-bolt that comes with the Zumo GPS will work to mount the bracket holding the CB in the normal place (lefthand grip). I'll probably have to shave 1/8" to 1/4" off the handlebar cover (ouch!) to fit the U-bolt and finding the right J&M bracket is a blind hunt. I have a bracket for the SilverWing and I can tell you it's close but not ideal.

The GPS looks like it might be best to mount in the center of the handlebars, but I might also try a suction cup mount on the tank.

I'll let you know my progress.

Terran Sin
-Chief farkle mechanic and valet for Sukuta Girl

Last edited:

Stove Pipe

Hi Jim,

Let me know if you get any private responses as I'm about to do the same thing plus a Garmin Zumo GPS install.

I'm also adding the Givi tail rack and that's where I'm going to mount the antenna. Motorcycle Larry sells a neat looking mounting bracket that I have on my ST1300. The only bummer is the bracket extensions (used if you're using a wide Givi trunk) are out of stock. I'm going to use two main brackets for now, slightly more expensive but I can always retrofit in the future.

I've been test fitting the CB unit and the U-bolt that comes with the Zumo GPS will work to mount the bracket holding the CB in the normal place (lefthand grip). I'll probably have to shave 1/8" to 1/4" off the handlebar cover (ouch!) to fit the U-bolt and finding the right J&M bracket is a blind hunt. I have a bracket for the SilverWing and I can tell you it's close but not ideal.

The GPS looks like it might be best to mount in the center of the handlebars, but I might also try a suction cup mount on the tank.

Terran Sin

Thanks for the reply!

I had this JMB2003 on our PC-800 with plans to now use it on the DN-01. As with the PC-800 I am considering fabricating a mount from aluminum that would wrap partially back onto the plastic cover on the left handlebar, I think the one you are talking about trimming? However, the trimming idea sounds good too. I wish there was a reservoir on the left handlebar as the right, but since no clutch is needed that's the obvious. With the reservoir on the PC-800 it was simple to form an aluminum bracket and double stick tape it to the top of the reservoir. With the aluminum bent at the correct angle that put the PTT trigger right at the correct spot.

For your antenna mount, thats basically how I mounted the one on the PC-800 and it tested really, really good on SWR mounted like that. The Givi rack made for a good ground plane for the antenna.

We don't plan to use a GPS on this bike, however we will be installing a XM radio (small one) to feed into the JMB2003. I plan to use a R.A.M. mount installed on the top of that right side (front brake) reservoir. But I really like your location too, as to not be sticking up like a sore thumb!! I am going to look into that, maybe velcro so to be able to remove when not in use too?

Good luck with your installation!!

Last edited:

tlyons

Hi Jim,

Terran Sin

I've mounted a Garmin GPS using the Ram EZ Strap. The strap is long enough that you can position it any where you want. The strap can take several differant mounts or you can get an Arkon weatherproof one.

http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts/ezstrapmotorcyclemount/tabid/3599/Default.aspx

Pebbles

Thanks for the reply!

I had this JMB2003 on our PC-800 with plans to now use it on the DN-01. As with the PC-800 I am considering fabricating a mount from aluminum that would wrap partially back onto the plastic cover on the left handlebar, I think the one you are talking about trimming? However, the trimming idea sounds good too. I wish there was a reservoir on the left handlebar as the right, but since no clutch is needed that's the obvious. With the reservoir on the PC-800 it was simple to form an aluminum bracket and double stick tape it to the top of the reservoir. With the aluminum bent at the correct angle that put the PTT trigger right at the correct spot.

For your antenna mount, thats basically how I mounted the one on the PC-800 and it tested really, really good on SWR mounted like that. The Givi rack made for a good ground plane for the antenna.

We don't plan to use a GPS on this bike, however we will be installing a XM radio (small one) to feed into the JMB2003. I plan to use a R.A.M. mount installed on the top of that right side (front brake) reservoir. But I really like your location too, as to not be sticking up like a sore thumb!! I am going to look into that, maybe velcro so to be able to remove when not in use too?

Good luck with your installation!!
Small world- I'm a PC800 owner too. I'm only mounting the CB on Sukuta Girl's Dino because I just bought a ST1300 in July and it came already loaded with one. A lot of our riding friends have been bugging us to "upgrade" to CB, but to be honest, we've been happily using X1 Chatterboxes for years and I haven't been that impressed with the CB audio quality or constant fiddling.

Last edited:

Stove Pipe

Small world- I'm a PC800 owner too. I'm only mounting the CB on Sukuta Girl's Dino because I just bought a ST1300 in July and it came already loaded with one. A lot of our riding friends have been bugging us to "upgrade" to CB, but to be honest, we've been using happily using X1 Chatterboxes for years and I haven't been that impressed with the CB audio quality or constant fiddling.
Small world! We have been using the Midland BT2 (bluetooth units) while riding our Dual Sports. However, we also have a GL-1800 Goldwing and ride alot with that group and if you want to stay in the loop, a CB is almost a must. So, if the wife is on her DN-01 with the group, I want her to be able to communicate with the pack too.

I sure like the Ram Strap Idea. I assume it goes completely around the plastic handlebar cover?

Stove Pipe

One followup concern. Will the JMB2003 block the view into the left mirror? If so, maybe a possible mount onto the fuel door using the alternate/passenger PTT button onto the left handlebar? Any thoughts anyone?

Pebbles

It's been a long weekend but I've got just about everything mounted/installed and working. Yes, there's a little obstruction of the left mirror by the JMCB unit, but Sukuta Girl says it doesn't bother her and she can just move her head a little to get a full view mirror check.

There were several problems I had to overcome and I had expected 4-5 hours of work to get everything done. Instead I spent close to 16 hours- including 2 trips to the hardware store. My main problems were the Givi side racks- poor hole alignment, a known issue on other bikes, and finding a good enough ground for the CB. I'm beat and will post some photos and notes later. But here's the list of work this weekend:

Installed:
Givi Windshield (a big grin from Sukuta Girl now)
Givi tail rack (she already has an E52 Maxia)
Givi side racks with V35 cases
J+M CB mounted on left handlebar with license tag antenna
GPS using the RAM EZ Mount (I'm dissappointed with it- but it works for now)
Gerbing heated gear plug
Battery tender plug

-Terran Sin
Chief Farkle Mechanic for Sukuta Girl

Pebbles

Sorry for the delay- we've been out riding :D
I'll have to post photos to my Flickr account and then link them here.
There's been adventures and mis-adventures along with several adjustments and repairs in the meantime. Quite a learning experience!

-TS

Stove Pipe

Well, I really studied this CB Radio installation thing!!! My wife was missing more and more not being in contact with the other riders in our groups plus she really missed her tunes! I was worried about the JMB-2003 blocking the view thru the rear view mirror or looking out of place, sort of like a Monkey on a football if it was mounted on the handlebar. So, I made a sort of radical installation!!! I bought an extra fuel cover door for $19 (where if it didn't work out I would still be able to live at home) and cut it so the JMB-2003 would inlay into it on a slight angle with the face toward the riders face. I also removed the trigger PTT from the unit. I glued the unit into place using my hot glue gun from the rear. Totally sealing the back of the radio with the glue, then after the glue setup painted the back black (same color as bike). Then used the passenger (remote) PTT button on the L/H handlebar. I used the J&M 2 ft antenna licence plate mounting type. For the music input, I attached an XM Roady2 on the back side of the L/H handlebar just inboard of the switch/shift button housing using Velcro. I took the handlebar plastic cover off and consealed all the wiring within it. Then I mounted the XM mini antenna atop the front brake resevoir on the R/H handlebar using double stick tape. All wiring harness and extra components are neatly hidden away under the plastic, just forward of the air cleaner box on L/H side. Also, since the unit is on a slight angle the wires that extend from the unit itself run underneath the fuel hatch door and under the center tank cover to the location just forward of the air box. Note: Not much of the radio is below the fuel door, mainly the lower part and the sealed wiring harness that runs from the bottom of the unit. I left just enough slack so the door opens and closes normally.

It took 7 1/2 hours to complete but well worth it and that includes the time I spent JACKING WITH XM to get the radio turned on. WHY can't they get people that speak english??

Took about a 100 mile trip this afternoon after the install and it was sure nice to be able to communicate and my wife sure is enjoying having her music on the DN-01 now!!

Last edited:

Stove Pipe

It is sure nice to once again to be able to communicate with the wife as we ride. We also have the safety factor of being able to warn each other of road hazards or dangers ahead. I went ahead and installed another JMB-2003 on my XR-650L too to have that same safety factor.

Speaking of Hazards: If I had not had a CB Radio last Wednesday during a quick trip to Texas, I would have been stuck for a while. I-30 west bound lanes were down to a single lane at the 48 mile marker due to a bad wreck that actually had burned. I heard reports that traffic was backed up past the 54 mile marker and growing, so I was able to exit at the 69 marker and run old Hwy 67 to the 44 marker and get back on the big road. It was an interesting detour since not driving that portion of Hwy 67 since we used to have too back in 1969.