First Major Service 12,000km (8,000mi)

jamym

I am looking to book my DN01 in for its 12,000km major service.

I have questions if anyone can assist:

1. What can I expect or look out for from this service? Looking at the service items, nearly everything needs to be either inspected or replaced for this service. I would like to be in an informed position should they advise other XYZ items needs replacing which costs $$$.

2. I have been calling around and quotes for this service range from $280 to $650. That is a big price difference. I will double check the $280 place to make sure they know what they are doing for this service.

The tyres seems ok. Anyone care to comment if they have changed their tyres and the odometer reading for this?

The only issue which I will mention they check is that when I am cruising at about 90km/h (55mph) on occasion the transmission will change down gear quite noticeably making a jerk and giving me a surprise from the usual smooth gear changes.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
The only issue which I will mention they check is that when I am cruising at about 90km/h (55mph) on occasion the transmission will change down gear quite noticeably making a jerk and giving me a surprise from the usual smooth gear changes.
Everytime I hit "roughly" 50 mph (upshift or downshift), I feel a "jerk" also. That IS normal! The automatic is basically shifting into or out of "overdrive!" It is NOT a concern. Now IF the tranny starts making a "noise," that I would be concerned about.

jamym

Thanks for letting me know of the jerk and that its normal. Mine doesn't do this all the time though which was why I mentioned it and I have only noticed it started to do this in the last 2,000km. No I haven't heard any noise as yet.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Thanks for letting me know of the jerk and that its normal. Mine doesn't do this all the time though which was why I mentioned it and I have only noticed it started to do this in the last 2,000km. No I haven't heard any noise as yet.
I have at least 13k miles on my "steed" and it's a daily occurance especially if I'm cruising SLOW (not cranking on the throttle) when the bike "shifts." All in all, you will definitely have fun with your Dino especially all the oohs and aahs people will give you about the unique bike that you possess!

DammmDel

I am looking to book my DN01 in for its 12,000km major service.

I have questions if anyone can assist:

1. What can I expect or look out for from this service? Looking at the service items, nearly everything needs to be either inspected or replaced for this service. I would like to be in an informed position should they advise other XYZ items needs replacing which costs $$$.

2. I have been calling around and quotes for this service range from $280 to $650. That is a big price difference. I will double check the $280 place to make sure they know what they are doing for this service.

The tyres seems ok. Anyone care to comment if they have changed their tyres and the odometer reading for this?

yep that downshift is normal in the uk as well ;)

sinclair48K

Out of curiosity when the bike is decelerating does anyone hear a transmission whine ? Like a turbine spinning down. Mainly from about 24mph down to about 13mph when it disengages and free wheels. Now that I have removed the sports exhaust I can hear it more. Why my flip helmet up its not that noticeable, but with earplugs and my helmet down it seems to amplify those frequencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8yiK-in26M

Like in the video above at about 55 secs in.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Out of curiosity when the bike is decelerating does anyone hear a transmission whine ? Like a turbine spinning down. Mainly from about 24mph down to about 13mph when it disengages and free wheels. Now that I have removed the sports exhaust I can hear it more. Why my flip helmet up its not that noticeable, but with earplugs and my helmet down it seems to amplify those frequencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8yiK-in26M

Like in the video above at about 55 secs in.
Your correct, it is the tranny and it's just helping you "braking." That is just how the tranny was designed. It's "NORMAL"

sinclair48K

Your correct, it is the tranny and it's just helping you "braking." That is just how the tranny was designed. It's "NORMAL"
Thanks I had heard unlike normal CVT's the HFT provides engine braking. Thanks for that, good to hear its normal :)