Hello from Wales

whitehawk

Got our DN-01 a few days ago and first impressions good. Have used it to commute to work this week - about 40 miles each way including motorway and twisty roads.
Previous bikes were Pan European ST1300 (me) and Suzuki AN400 (wife). Got the DN-01 to replace both.
It's a much nicer bike that the AN400 and although less powerful than the Pan it is more fun in its own unique way.

whitehawk

So far so good

I am enjoying it so far.
I have the annoying hesitation/jump in D mode as it tries to work out what 'gear' to use at around 53mph - particularly annoying on one of the roads I use to work which is quite twisty and means I am constantly varying my speed from just below 50mph to 60mph for 10 miles.
My solution to this is to use the manual mode for this stretch and switch back to D for the rest of the journey where the speed doesn't go over 50mph or is constantly over 60mph (motorway).

Gizmo

Site Suporter
I am enjoying it so far.
I have the annoying hesitation/jump in D mode as it tries to work out what 'gear' to use at around 53mph - particularly annoying on one of the roads I use to work which is quite twisty and means I am constantly varying my speed from just below 50mph to 60mph for 10 miles.
My solution to this is to use the manual mode for this stretch and switch back to D for the rest of the journey where the speed doesn't go over 50mph or is constantly over 60mph (motorway).

ALL DN-01 do that! It's inherit to all DN-01 when in "D" mode once the speed hits 50 mph. That's when the tranny "switches" into 6th gear ... nothing to be alarmed about. I would be MORE concerned IF it didn't "jump" at 50 or when the speed dropped below 50! The tranny has proven itself in Honda's ATVs where the tranny got it's origin, so I have been told.

whitehawk

Yep, thanks Gizmo. I'd read about the gear jump on these forums before I bought the bike - it happened on the test ride, but having read about it on here I wasn't too worried.
I also have a Honda quadbike with the same type of electronic gear shift. These quads have a good reputation for reliability so I'm hoping the same will be true of the DN-01.
I'm actually enjoying the control of the manual gear shift mode, probably because I'm used to geared bikes. I'm still sometimes reaching for the clutch lever as I come to a stop!

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Yep, thanks Gizmo. I'd read about the gear jump on these forums before I bought the bike - it happened on the test ride, but having read about it on here I wasn't too worried.
I also have a Honda quadbike with the same type of electronic gear shift. These quads have a good reputation for reliability so I'm hoping the same will be true of the DN-01.
I'm actually enjoying the control of the manual gear shift mode, probably because I'm used to geared bikes. I'm still sometimes reaching for the clutch lever as I come to a stop!

I figured you had done your homework about the DN-01, just wasn't too sure about the "jumping" ... not to worry you. I alternate riding between my DN-01and a Honda Magna so I know what you mean when I try to reach for the clutch lever on the DN-01. I REALLY have to pay attention as to which I'm riding, especially when I have to stop ... so that I don't "stall" the Magna or "fall over!"