Looking to buy a DN-01 - Berkshire, UK

drybry

Hi all,

Just joined the forum as I am looking for a nice DN-01 here in the UK. Going to have to be black or purple so would prefer purple but the condition and history are far more important than the colours. I intend to get it painted white as I just love white bikes and the white DNs seem to only be in Japan?? Might look into wrapping as that seems to be very popular on bikes these days.

Intend to sell my BMW Rockster as I just can not get comfortable on it. Tried two BM s now and just can not get to grips with them. Have had seven Honda PC800 Pacific Coasts and just love them. Have a beautiful 1989 with only 12000 genuine miles and it looks and rides like new. I see the DN as a very similar bike and 'garage mate' to the PC so want to get one soon. Love the low saddle.

If anyone has a good one to sell, or knows where there is one, please let me know as I have cash waiting. I would prefer to buy privately from a loving owner rather than pay blown up dealer prices.

Hope someone can help and I am looking forward to conversing with DN owners and hopefully meeting up with some UK owners sometime.

Thanks all.

drybry

Thanks

Hi Bob, thanks for the info. I have seen that one -as well as most others advertised at the moment. Problem is I am looking for a 'bargain bike' as I do not want to lose loads of money if I don't like it.

That's why a private sale would be best for me I fear.

I have been negotiating on one but the guy has just decided to up the price by £500 at the last minute so he can stick that one on principle alone. Shame as it is a nice bike but I am not going to be messed around as I am not desperate.

I have an idea that some of these dealers who have got DNS at the moment may start getting a bit worried as winter draws on and so they may take a low offer rather than sit on them for the next six months. So may try some offers soon.
Thanks again for your input. Hope I find something soon as my BMW goes to a new owner today so I have the cash waiting!!

Ride safe,

Brian

mdivancic

Brian:

How cheap are you trying to get one? That price doesn't seem bad for the miles on the bike. Strange, but most of the DN-01 on ebay don't have a lot of miles them. There are three in the US right now, each with about 500 miles. I got mine to year ago with less then 1000 miles. Good luck with your search!

Mike

drybry

I was hoping to get one for about £4k. My main concern is the resale value if I don't like it so I will minimise my losses if I can buy at the lowest price. Most seem to be selling between £4500 and £5995 so at £4k or less I would be happy.
Just been to see a nice purple one with only 2900miles at£4500 so I will have a think about that one.

drybry

Valuation advice

Seem to be struggling to buy a decent Dn01 less than £4500.

I was wondering if any UK owners have had any experience of valuations on their bikes.

I am concerned that I will lose a lot of money if I do not like the bike. I am quite happy to pay over £4k but I have a feeling that the dealer valuation could be less than £3k to buy if I was to have to sell it.

A 2000 mile 2009 failed to find a buyer at the BCA auctions last week with a reserve of £4300. Seems to confirm my thoughts.

Any suggestions or experiences out there in the UK?

My BMW is now sold and I am keen to buy soon.

drybry

That is true dndom.
I have had two offers of very short rides so not really suitable to get to know a bike. I am certainly not going to put off buying one if I can't try it as I am pretty sure it will be OK. Very much like a PC800 in many ways. But I must buy at a price that will minimise my losses if and when I move it on.

One dealer told me that the new tax disc scheme from October 1 will cause problems for test rides as their trade plates only cover insurance, not tax. Strange? Maybe he did not want me to try the bike.

My search continues.

dndom

Brian

Never tried a PC but ran a Deauville for work up to 5kmls when I gladly got rid of it. I much prefer the DN, if that's any help.

drybry

I bought a brand new Deauville in 1998 thinking it would be an up to date PC800, but realised as I rode it home that it was nothing like the PC and nowhere near as good. Did not like it at all so it went after 4 weeks.

dndom

The number of times I've read the hype about new models, taken which ever of mine it would replace to a dealer, run a route back to back and found the new one worse! The media only notice the faults when yet another one comes out but that's marketing really.

Norrie

Drybry reading your posts I doubt very much if there is any bike which would satisfy you.
I've changed my bike every 2 years because I wanted to try them all, then I bought a DN01 five years ago and it's the one which ticks all the boxes for me and the one I will never part with.
The only bike I never liked was the BMW 1200 RT. I wouldn't criticise any of the numerous others.

drybry

Hi Norrie, there is one bike that totally satisfies me in every way and that's my treasured Honda Pacific Coast. I am currently on my seventh over the last 20 years and I just love them.
I changed away from them a couple of times over that years but always go back to one. For the last 10years or so I have only changed to replace with a better lower mileage one and so I am certain that this one will be my last as it is a pristine example of a 1989 model in white with only 12000 genuine miles. I just will not find a better one so I have achieved my goal and will never part with it.
I have consistently owned three or four bikes at a time but as I approach 71 years of age i now want to cut back to just two bikes.
What I want now is a second bike to go with it and a naked bike as the PC is very protective - you just don't feel any wind - and I like to have an open bike for the warmer weather. I thought BMWs were the answer but alas they did not work for me.
I think the DNO will suit me well due to the seat height and its Honda heritage. It really is very similar to the PC in many ways, and both were a marketing disaster for Honda and only sold for a few years.
My search goes on.

dndom

Brian

The DN does make your right leg hot in unfavourable conditions and although it's automatic is not pleasant in summer London traffic. Tried a Guzzi V7?

drybry

Don't do traffic unless I can help it. Loads of nice winding country roads in the Reading area. The A4 down to Chippenham is a delight on a nice day.

drybry

Going to see an 08 reg with only 2600 miles tomorrow. Anything I should look closely at? We're there any problems / recalls on the earlier bikes?

DammmDel

only problem which wasn't a recall was the spark plug caps were faulty.. honda changed them and problem solved

drybry

Thanks for info. Is there any way you can tell if they have been changed? Other than an obvious misfire maybe?
Also thinking about one down your way in Swansea as well. Later one owner bike in black with more miles.

DammmDel

on mine and some others they changed them to ngk caps other then that as you said the surging of the engine which is problematic on an auto as i found out lol